FAS lower pulley...

Oh well that's not good then. The supercharger will be louder because it's spinning faster. But there shouldn't be other whines that I'm aware of.
I sent a video of the high pitch sound to Nico at FAS and he said he couldn't hear anything abnormal. I still think it doesn't sound right. I even had the pulley taken off and re-installed and the A/C bracket trimmed down even more just to make sure there were no metal on metal going on. It's only there at WOT with your foot planted on the accelerator. Other than that, you don't hear the noise. It's at the very high RPM range.
 
Oh well that's not good then. The supercharger will be louder because it's spinning faster. But there shouldn't be other whines that I'm aware of.
Heres a video of the sound. You can clearly hear it. You can even hear it when I let off the pedal. It's a high pitch sound that sounds like a dentist's drill. Am I crazy or is this sound normal?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1532.mov
    18.6 MB
Heres a video of the sound. You can clearly hear it. You can even hear it when I let off the pedal. It's a high pitch sound that sounds like a dentist's drill. Am I crazy or is this sound normal?
Only weird noise I hear is at 10-11 sec mark of the video.
 
I just had the FAS Predator pulley installed. So far so good. My only question was if the high pitch whine at WOT was normal or not.
I am thinking of getting one. I understand the computer has some adjustment before the impact can be fully realized; however, it is noticeably quicker even at initial install ?
 
Only weird noise I hear is at 10-11 sec mark of the video.
Yes, that's the high pitch noise I am referring to. Doesn't sound normal to me at all, but according to FAS it's normal. Maybe the pulley spinning ultra fast makes that sound naturally being the metal it's composed of and it's pretty solid unlike the stock pulleys that are hollowed out. Not sure.
 
I am thinking of getting one. I understand the computer has some adjustment before the impact can be fully realized; however, it is noticeably quicker even at initial install ?
Yes, it's more responsive at lower to mid RPM. Honestly at full WOT, I am getting 2 psi more, but it doesn't feel like all that much. You feel it more down low and in the mid RPM range.
 
Yes, that's the high pitch noise I am referring to. Doesn't sound normal to me at all, but according to FAS it's normal. Maybe the pulley spinning ultra fast makes that sound naturally being the metal it's composed of and it's pretty solid unlike the stock pulleys that are hollowed out. Not sure.
Mine does not sound like that. The sound is very faint in the video, maybe double check the install
 
Mine does not sound like that. The sound is very faint in the video, maybe double check the install
I did double check the install. I even had it removed and reinstalled. No change. Don’t know what that sound is. I haven’t heard anyone else’s WOT video from inside the cabin so I can compare.
 
Heres a video of the sound. You can clearly hear it. You can even hear it when I let off the pedal. It's a high pitch sound that sounds like a dentist's drill. Am I crazy or is this sound normal?
You are certain its not coming any speakers inside the cab right? Grounds are flush/tight? There were posts in the past with similar high-frequency sounds coming from Transmission @KnightMare (carrying faintly in the cab/conductivity) had reported this among others early on in the forum. I might be way off but never hurts to double check..
 
You are certain its not coming any speakers inside the cab right? Grounds are flush/tight? There were posts in the past with similar high-frequency sounds coming from Transmission @KnightMare (carrying faintly in the cab/conductivity) had reported this among others early on in the forum. I might be way off but never hurts to double check..
 
You are certain its not coming any speakers inside the cab right? Grounds are flush/tight? There were posts in the past with similar high-frequency sounds coming from Transmission @KnightMare (carrying faintly in the cab/conductivity) had reported this among others early on in the forum. I might be way off but never hurts to double check..
Nothing through the speakers. I didn’t have that high pitch noise until I had the FAS pulley installed. It’s not a ground issue or wind noise. You can hear in the video that it doesn’t have that high pitch noise until you are at full WOT at sustained high RPMs. Maybe it’s a defective pulley. Who knows?
 
Heres a video of the sound. You can clearly hear it. You can even hear it when I let off the pedal. It's a high pitch sound that sounds like a dentist's drill. Am I crazy or is this sound normal?

Yup, I can hear that - it happens close to red line right before the shifts. A quick 'ring' sound. Perhaps it's hitting the resonant frequency of something else in the engine bay or cab?
 
Yup, I can hear that - it happens close to red line right before the shifts. A quick 'ring' sound. Perhaps it's hitting the resonant frequency of something else in the engine bay or cab?
What you’re saying makes total sense, but then wouldn’t they all do that?
 
Possibly. Mine doesn't make that sound - but - with the intake, pulley and exhaust there is a lot more vibration in the cabin and things rattling (especially at certain RPMS) that didn't before.

I don't recall ever reading about this being a common problem which leads me to believe its not the pulley nor a pulley related issue, but something the pulley is affecting on your rig.

That said, it could be an isolated issue with your specific pulley too, assuming no one else chimes in here.

Hope you figure it out!
 
What you’re saying makes total sense, but then wouldn’t they all do that?
Wonder if it is pushing the shity Cali gas with everything and Ecm is retarding the timing crazy?
 
Wonder if it is pushing the shity Cali gas with everything and Ecm is retarding the timing crazy?

Our 93 up here in 'Berta isn't so great but truck runs fine - and pretty quick too:


Prior to mods, nothing in the cab or engine bay of my truck vibrated at any RPM or speed for the most part.

With mods, there's definitely some new shakes and rattles as it moves through the RPM range. Wondering if MASSTRX isn't running into the same thing?
 
I don’t care about the high pitch dentist drill noise as long as it won’t cause any problems.
 

TRX Forum Favs 👍

Back
Top