AlfaOBD Tips and Tricks

If I do Amber DRL using AlphaOBD does it leave codes the dealership will pick up on? Same as tuning?

I am coming from Tazer but I stopped using it months ago because it was too glitchy. I only used live settings, did not even marry it, and my amber lights would sometimes glitch out and drop out after using the signal and not come back on.

Willing to give AlphaOBD a try if it is a more reliable and safer way of getting the desired results.

If I do Amber DRL using AlphaOBD does it leave codes the dealership will pick up on? Same as tuning?

Changes are logged so the dealer can find what you did.

They are not logged- the dealer’s tool can not see that a BCM setting was changed from “x” to “y”.
They can generate a configuration report, and see what settings are currently set to.
So, in this instance of amber DRL’s, the normal factory setting for CBC Features: DRL Lamp Location is Low Beam DRL, and you change it to Turn Signal DRL (to get amber DRL’s), it will just show that- that setting as currently being set to Turn Signal DRL.
EVEN IF they where specifically looking at that setting (for some odd reason), and the tech somehow knows it should be Low Beam DRL, they’ll probably just say “well that’s strange”, and just perform the restore vehicle configuration routine. But the odds of that are highly unlikely if they are diagnosing some unrelated warranty claim.

Has anyone turned off the seatbelt chime in a 23 with the alfaobd? Doesn't bother me, but a friend really wants to turn it off.
Just go to your dealer and ask them to turn the chime off. I have a '23 and that's what I did. At first they looked at me sideways and said they couldn't do that, but I insisted. They came back a couple minutes later and said "all set." I don't have a seatbelt chime anymore and it's great.

They are not logged- the dealer’s tool can not see that a BCM setting was changed from “x” to “y”.
They can generate a configuration report, and see what settings are currently set to.
So, in this instance of amber DRL’s, the normal factory setting for CBC Features: DRL Lamp Location is Low Beam DRL, and you change it to Turn Signal DRL (to get amber DRL’s), it will just show that- that setting as currently being set to Turn Signal DRL.
EVEN IF they where specifically looking at that setting (for some odd reason), and the tech somehow knows it should be Low Beam DRL, they’ll probably just say “well that’s strange”, and just perform the restore vehicle configuration routine. But the odds of that are highly unlikely if they are diagnosing some unrelated warranty claim.
They can absolutely dump your config and compare to what they loaded at the factory.

They can absolutely dump your config and compare to what they loaded at the factory.
Carefully re-read my reply to this comment of yours:

Changes are not logged. Sure, they can generate the config report, but they would have to restore vehicle configuration, and generate another report in order to compare, but that’s not going to happen on an unrelated warranty service claim.
But there is no change log they can see.

I am coming from Tazer but I stopped using it months ago because it was too glitchy. I only used live settings, did not even marry it, and my amber lights would sometimes glitch out and drop out after using the signal and not come back on.

Willing to give AlphaOBD a try if it is a more reliable and safer way of getting the desired results.
I actually use both. Similar to you, I had an issue with tazer where the truck would NOT keep amber drl's on with headlights. Bugged the crap out of me. Used alpha to see if it was truck. It was not. Swapped the tazer, and problem solved. Reason I offer this is that the tazer does offer more of an amber light setup that I personally like. I don't marry it, only use live settings - ambers, power fold etc. I know you can do the fuse taps for markers on all of the time as well with alpha. Hope this helps.
Chris

Finally wired the running lights so I also did the DRL today....looks great. No Tazer needed

I could use some help with this is some of you guru's out there have a minute for Amber DRL's not working.

I have a 2024 and used the ECRI security bypass module and vLinkerMC+ connected to an Android tablet. I was able to install the SGB module, connect to the vLinker, and connect to the truck, but had to use "MY2023 PowerNet" in the AlfaODB menu for Ram 1500 as there is no 2024 option. I made all the changes in the initial post here for the 7 things to change. (I think I had to change 4 or 5 of them, the other 2 or 3 were already set.) For any of the changes I made, I hit the start button, then next and for each that was needing to be changed it said the change was successful or whatever.

I then pushed the button to turn off the truck, waited 30 seconds, and the lights still work exactly as they did prior to going through this process. No amber DRL's. Anyone have any clue what I am doing wrong? I tried cycling the power on the truck numerous times, waited 15 minutes, turned the truck on etc. but it's like nothing I did made any changes. Do I have to somehow push the configuration at the end to the truck? Should I have selected "DT MY2022+ PowerNet" or "MY2022+ PowerNet" instead of "MY2023 PowerNet?

UPDATE: I tried the same process with DT MY2022+ PowerNet and MY2022+ PowerNet. All the settings were still saved from my first attempt but still no Amber DRL's. I also changed each option to the opposite, got the Successful message, then changed them to the correct values and again got the successful message, so it is definitely taking the change, but the lights still work like factory...

On the settings page, I have the "Do not verify ECU model" unchecked.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I could use some help with this is some of you guru's out there have a minute for Amber DRL's not working.

I have a 2024 and used the ECRI security bypass module and vLinkerMC+ connected to an Android tablet. I was able to install the SGB module, connect to the vLinker, and connect to the truck, but had to use "MY2023 PowerNet" in the AlfaODB menu for Ram 1500 as there is no 2024 option. I made all the changes in the initial post here for the 7 things to change. (I think I had to change 4 or 5 of them, the other 2 or 3 were already set.) For any of the changes I made, I hit the start button, then next and for each that was needing to be changed it said the change was successful or whatever.

I then pushed the button to turn off the truck, waited 30 seconds, and the lights still work exactly as they did prior to going through this process. No amber DRL's. Anyone have any clue what I am doing wrong? I tried cycling the power on the truck numerous times, waited 15 minutes, turned the truck on etc. but it's like nothing I did made any changes. Do I have to somehow push the configuration at the end to the truck? Should I have selected "DT MY2022+ PowerNet" or "MY2022+ PowerNet" instead of "MY2023 PowerNet?

UPDATE: I tried the same process with DT MY2022+ PowerNet and MY2022+ PowerNet. All the settings were still saved from my first attempt but still no Amber DRL's. I also changed each option to the opposite, got the Successful message, then changed them to the correct values and again got the successful message, so it is definitely taking the change, but the lights still work like factory...

Thank you!

After you were done with the AlfaOBD changes, were you parked in your garage or outside when it was dark with your headlights in auto? When the headlights come on, the signature lights revert back to white.

After you were done with the AlfaOBD changes, were you parked in your garage or outside when it was dark with your headlights in auto? When the headlights come on, the signature lights revert back to white.
Yes was night in the garage. Guess I’ll find out in a bit when I get home from work and I’ll pull it out and see. I thought by rotating the light dial I would see a version with amber DRLs. I’ll report back thanks.

Yes was night in the garage. Guess I’ll find out in a bit when I get home from work and I’ll pull it out and see. I thought by rotating the light dial I would see a version with amber DRLs. I’ll report back thanks.
During the day in Auto mine are Amber. I think if the lights are turned off, day or night, they will be Amber. This may have something to do with yours being a 2024. But I am sure it will be solved soon.

Thank you!
What are the names of all these settings you changed? There’s only two that are necessary to get amber DRLs:
CBC Features: DRL Lamp Location- Turn Signal Lamps
And CBC Extern.Light Calibr.: Signature Light Present- NO.

Make sure the DRL setting in the radio is toggled on. Turn the headlamp switch to “O” off position, and the amber DRLs will come on no matter how light or dark it is outside. What is the behavior of the lights when you do this?

There are the instructions I followed:
Body Computer
Select the Body Computer for your year
Select procedure to start: Car configuration change
Select option:
1) ECUConfig 3: DRL Customer Setting Option Present; Select value: Yes
2) CBC Features: DRL Configuration; Select value: Optional DRL
3) CBC Features: DRL Lamp Location; Select value: Turn Signal
4) CBC Features: DRL Dropout Enabled; Select value: Yes
5) CBC Features: LED Dedicated DRL Present; Select value: No
6) Cust.Set.Menu 1: Daytime running lights CSM Present; Select value: Yes
7) Customer Program Features: Daytime Running Lamps ; Select value: Enabled

It looks like the second setting you’re suggesting I change was not included in these instructions. When I move the light switch position to the circle there’s no effect of Amber DRL‘s. Later today I’ll try to load my back up configuration as a clean starting point and just change the two that you’re suggesting and see if that works.

Thanks for the help.

Forgot to answer some of your questions. Yes DRL‘s are enabled in my radio, and when I move the switch to the circle position, the DRL‘s are on, but they’re white.

OK update. I was actually out running errands and when I pulled up to a shop, I noticed in the window that my Amber DRL‘s are actually working. Apparently they only work when the car is in drive or reverse and the parking brake is off. I noticed as soon as I put the parking brake on they go back to White, which is why I wasn’t seeing them last night in my garage because although I put it in Drive, I did not take off the parking break. So it looks like all is good. I just didn’t understand how they operate. Thanks so much for everyone’s help.

Back