FAS lower pulley...

Likely run out of injector if close to sea level. Saw someone post on the HPTuners awhile back a log with e85 on stock injectors and they were maxed out without upping the boost.

Once you run e85 I don’t know why you wouldn’t tune properly and do injectors. You have already voided your warranty. Seems really illogical to run a piggayback commander for fueling that you puts you at more risk of damage when you have already voided the warranty. At that point I would think you want as skilled and expertly tuned as possible.

Honestly, running that commander on a stock hellcat isn’t wise for the entire drivetrain (let alone if you add power). A full PCM and TCM tune is needed to adjust all of the torque nannies for the trans and shifting. With that commander you are throwing 10% more torque at everything with stock limits and controls in place. Good way to eat through the trans faster. Just get a full flex tune so the PCM and TCM are both calibrated correctly to your e85 blend.
How does it know what blend you’re running or whether it’s only 91
 
How does it know what blend you’re running or whether it’s only 91
Not sure which you mean…

The piggyback commander goes off an alcohol sensor in the fuel line (like GM does) and then adjusts duty cycle on the injectors. Since the PCM records duty cycle and AFR versus CFM it knows that fueling is outside of regular fuel and hence why the warranty is void.

For the flex tuned PCM, the adjustment is done via the inferred method (like Ford and some others) and uses the lambda of the AFR and fuel trim (STFT and LTFT) to calculate the ethanol percentage and adjust the map. The good thing about going this route is that you can then adjust/scale pretty much any setting in the PCM/TCM for ethanol content.
 
Not sure which you mean…

The piggyback commander goes off an alcohol sensor in the fuel line (like GM does) and then adjusts duty cycle on the injectors. Since the PCM records duty cycle and AFR versus CFM it knows that fueling is outside of regular fuel and hence why the warranty is void.

For the flex tuned PCM, the adjustment is done via the inferred method (like Ford and some others) and uses the lambda of the AFR and fuel trim (STFT and LTFT) to calculate the ethanol percentage and adjust the map. The good thing about going this route is that you can then adjust/scale pretty much any setting in the PCM/TCM for ethanol content.
So do you need to test or know what ethanol content and or octane you have in the tank? Usually it’s like 51% or more ethanol.

I’m just a newbie trying to wrap my head around the flex tune. Is it just a set it and forget it ? I can run any mixture of 91 and e85 or straight e85 for that matter and the truck will adjust the parameters on its own?
 
So do you need to test or know what ethanol content and or octane you have in the tank? Usually it’s like 51% or more ethanol.

I’m just a newbie trying to wrap my head around the flex tune. Is it just a set it and forget it ? I can run any mixture of 91 and e85 or straight e85 for that matter and the truck will adjust the parameters on its own?
You don’t need to test. PCM calculates and adjusts on its own. Run any mix.
 
Hey Guys, thanks to @797
The videos @blaster9 sent me of his install experience helped me know what I was getting into and avoid any setbacks!

Also, @Nick797 was very helpful when I placed my order. He helped me purchase the right size green supercharger belt which I preferred. Fast shipping and detailed instructions included.

Thanks guys!
View attachment 104154
Hey Guys, I had my pulley kit installed Aug. 2/23 by my local Shop. My mechanic pointed out to me slight discolouration on the edge of my belt(see pic) after completing installation. He said the supercharger belt comes very close to the A/C compressor housing/bracket. I’m assuming that might have caused the belt to do this? I’ve been driving 3-4 days now and there’s been no issues, no smells, no noises / rubbing etc…Did anyone else experience anything like this? The truck is running great, sounding great etc..thank you @Nick797 for getting me the kit so quickly. If anyone has insight please lmk
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2181.webp
    IMG_2181.webp
    124.1 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2182.webp
    IMG_2182.webp
    128.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2184.webp
    IMG_2184.webp
    145.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_2185.webp
    IMG_2185.webp
    110.4 KB · Views: 189
Hey Guys, thanks to @797

Hey Guys, I had my pulley kit installed Aug. 2/23 by my local Shop. My mechanic pointed out to me slight discolouration on the edge of my belt(see pic) after completing installation. He said the supercharger belt comes very close to the A/C compressor housing/bracket. I’m assuming that might have caused the belt to do this? I’ve been driving 3-4 days now and there’s been no issues, no smells, no noises / rubbing etc…Did anyone else experience anything like this? The truck is running great, sounding great etc..thank you @Nick797 for getting me the kit so quickly. If anyone has insight please lmk
I’ve seen where people grind off a little bit of that piece that rubs.
 
Hey Guys, thanks to @797

Hey Guys, I had my pulley kit installed Aug. 2/23 by my local Shop. My mechanic pointed out to me slight discolouration on the edge of my belt(see pic) after completing installation. He said the supercharger belt comes very close to the A/C compressor housing/bracket. I’m assuming that might have caused the belt to do this? I’ve been driving 3-4 days now and there’s been no issues, no smells, no noises / rubbing etc…Did anyone else experience anything like this? The truck is running great, sounding great etc..thank you @Nick797 for getting me the kit so quickly. If anyone has insight please lmk
So yea they def should include in the instructions to grind it down a little. I ground it down after the fact by removing the belt and going back & forth w/piece of sandpaper. Took forever but I didnt have enough room to get in there w/a dremel or anything I have in my shop. I removed enough material to where i feel somewhat comfortable lol. No belt discoloration like on your end. Your belt def looks like it made contact and shaved a few 1000s of an inch off the top lol. I'd remove belt, grind down, & install new belt.
 
That's what I thought was needed too.
I could wrong but with the crappy Ripa squeakfest one grinding was needed as well to clear rubbing
So prior to grinding, mine didnt rub but it was dam close (like 1 sheet of crappy computer paper close). If any 1 of my pulleys backed out from factory torque by even 1-2 ft-lbs, that probably would've given the system enough play to rub the belt. Now i have like 2 sheets of comp paper (maybe 2.5 sheets). I've just added this to the list of routine checks when i do oil changes/etc (check pulley clearance + check rear track bar clearance/etc)
 
If ya see mine as well has lil discoloration on my video but no issues so far no smell runs like a champ still but if need be I can put a green belt on in the future and have em grind it
 
If ya see mine as well has lil discoloration on my video but no issues so far no smell runs like a champ still but if need be I can put a green belt on in the future and have em grind it
Could you pls send me a link to your video or lmk where to find it? Thx🤙🏻
 
Likely run out of injector if close to sea level. Saw someone post on the HPTuners awhile back a log with e85 on stock injectors and they were maxed out without upping the boost.

Once you run e85 I don’t know why you wouldn’t tune properly and do injectors. You have already voided your warranty. Seems really illogical to run a piggayback commander for fueling that you puts you at more risk of damage when you have already voided the warranty. At that point I would think you want as skilled and expertly tuned as possible.

Honestly, running that commander on a stock hellcat isn’t wise for the entire drivetrain (let alone if you add power). A full PCM and TCM tune is needed to adjust all of the torque nannies for the trans and shifting. With that commander you are throwing 10% more torque at everything with stock limits and controls in place. Good way to eat through the trans faster. Just get a full flex tune so the PCM and TCM are both calibrated correctly to your e85 blend.
I read through your answer again, and I'm a little confused as to your explanation. Why would the Piggyback commander put me more at risk than running a full tune?
Why wouldnt it be wise to run this for the drivetrain? Doesnt a tune also increase power without the drivetrain being beefed up? When you tune, if the tune removes stock limits, wouldnt that strain the drivetrain as well? Wouldnt an added 7-10% be ok on the other drivetrain components?
As far as voiding the warranty, I was led to believe that once removed from the engine the system leaves no trace that it was installed on the PCM, unlike a tune. I could be wrong on this, but just checking. Thanks in advance!
 
I read through your answer again, and I'm a little confused as to your explanation. Why would the Piggyback commander put me more at risk than running a full tune?
Why wouldnt it be wise to run this for the drivetrain? Doesnt a tune also increase power without the drivetrain being beefed up? When you tune, if the tune removes stock limits, wouldnt that strain the drivetrain as well? Wouldnt an added 7-10% be ok on the other drivetrain components?
As far as voiding the warranty, I was led to believe that once removed from the engine the system leaves no trace that it was installed on the PCM, unlike a tune. I could be wrong on this, but just checking. Thanks in advance!
When removed from the vehicle you will still have traces of e85 in the fuel system which is an easy check for the dealer. Oil analysis will also show the use of e85. And a quick look at the PCM will show roughly 30% higher injector duty cycles for a given CFM into the motor in its history. There are actually multiple other threads about this product on this site discussing this about 2 years ago. There is no way to run e85 and keep the factory powertrain warranty. It’s gone.

You are confusing two different topics about the powertrain with regard to modding and tuning. The first is strengthening the drivetrain to handle higher loads. The second is actually adjusting tuning to manage those higher loads. When you tune you don’t “remove the stock limits,” you change the management of hundreds of variables in order to avoid applying increased loads to the drivetrain (especially shock and frictional).

All that commander adjusts is fuel flow based on ethanol content. A proper tune on the PCM/TCM for changes in fuel type will adjust fuel, timing, torque management, shift controls, etc. For a simple example, you are pushing 10% more torque via e85 and the commander through the trans. Constant torque through the drivetrain doesn’t do much damage until you are far exceeding the initial design limit. However, you are also using the entire stock TCM map for that 10% higher torque for shift times, line pressures, torque management, etc which means you are asking the trans to “shift the same” with the increased power. On the actual correct tune you dial these down or up accordingly to minimize wear on the trans and driveline. I have two different TCM maps for my truck. One is low wear on the trans where we have adjusted all of the torque management to minimize driveline shock and eating up the friction plates with longer shift times, FSO, etc. Run this daily and when towing. The other is a faster shifting setup which will wear the trans components more quickly just for the strip.

In other words, a proper tune can be setup to both utilize the power benefit of the e85 and mitigate the added stress on the drivetrain. The commander cannot do both. Personally if I’m out of warranty then I want to mitigate the added stress.
 
As I read a little more about this product I just realized that it doesn’t handle any timing advance… global or specific. I figured it had a global timing bump to claim the Hp gains that it does.

Which means in good air with good IAT2, running on e85 with it your truck actually loses power. The only gain you get is by reducing knock, and therefore STKR, when you have high IAT2s. The hellcat motor has a pretty aggressive timing table so not surprising that it feels better when it’s hot out. But on a cold day, it actually hurts you. Given that, your peak torque and hp are probably still within the TCM map parameters.

I guess in summary, you voided your warranty to make it slower when it’s not hot out. If you just wanted better heat management then a chiller would do that without voiding your warranty.
 
Alright guys question what's the next mod now?😂

Already got s&b intake, jlt catch can, magnaflow NDT exhaust, FAS lower Pulley, oracle off road 9 inch lights, avs visors, JL 10 inch subs 2x stealth box, carbon fiber steering wheel, gorilla lugs, mudflaps rokbloks, ceramic tints, brawlerfab front mount for offroadlights, forgetting something but think I've got most of it

I'm in the same boat....not sure what to do next. I know i want to get tires in fall(36" toyo mt) and the gorilla lugs.
 
So yea they def should include in the instructions to grind it down a little. I ground it down after the fact by removing the belt and going back & forth w/piece of sandpaper. Took forever but I didnt have enough room to get in there w/a dremel or anything I have in my shop. I removed enough material to where i feel somewhat comfortable lol. No belt discoloration like on your end. Your belt def looks like it made contact and shaved a few 1000s of an inch off the top lol. I'd remove belt, grind down, & install new belt.
Hey Guys, I got the FAS pulley instructions back from my local Shop, they’re excellent instructions but I read them twice and there’s no mention of trimming the A/C bracket or trimming anything. I checked my belt and after 11+ days driving the wear mark appears to be exactly the same as when it first was installed. So maybe there was a tiny rub at first start-up and now that small portion of the belt is worn enough that it doesn’t rub anymore..? As long as it stays like it is I’m more than happy it’s a wicked upgrade👍🏻
IMG_6589.webp
IMG_6590.webp
IMG_6591.webp
 
Hey Guys, I got the FAS pulley instructions back from my local Shop, they’re excellent instructions but I read them twice and there’s no mention of trimming the A/C bracket or trimming anything. I checked my belt and after 11+ days driving the wear mark appears to be exactly the same as when it first was installed. So maybe there was a tiny rub at first start-up and now that small portion of the belt is worn enough that it doesn’t rub anymore..? As long as it stays like it is I’m more than happy it’s a wicked upgrade👍🏻View attachment 106727View attachment 106728View attachment 106729
How are you liking it so far? Noticeable? I am waiting for mine to ship.
 
Sorry about the current wait guys, we are expecting to have the next round in this coming week.
 
How are you liking it so far? Noticeable? I am waiting for mine to ship.
I love having the new pulley. Yes it’s noticeable, I definitely feel more power when I “step on it” and the “supercharger music” is a little more prominent. I’m sure you’ll like it👍🏻
 

TRX Forum Favs 👍

Back
Top