*47* RAM TRX / HELLCAT OIL FILTERS CUT & COMPARED

What is your pick of the bunch?

• Total voters
The bypass pressure of a filter is based on pressure differential across the filter, not oil pressure.

Say you have 80 PSI oil pressure and your filter has a 20 PSI bypass setting. As long as the pressure differential across the inlet and outlet of the filter is below the bypass pressure (20 PSI in this example), your filter is filtering all the oil. Scenarios in which the delta P exceeds the bypass pressure (such as a plugged filter or cold, thick oil) will result in the bypass opening to ensure oil flow and protect the filter from blowing out. Even in that case some of the oil is filtered, just not all of it.

The bypass setting for a filter considers not only the engine and oil type, but to a greater extent the filter media, construction and flow. That is why there’s a wide range of bypass pressures on different filters that are all for the same application.
Thanks. That makes a lot more sense than our oil is never filtered.

Appreciate the kind words. Truthfully most of it was done for my own benefit and entertainment as much as anyone else’s. The cost wasn’t substantial, but I definitely underestimated the time spent and difficulty of getting data. Even some of mainstream aftermarket manufacturers required emails and phone calls for me to get specs. Also found lots of manipulating efficiency numbers and marketing BS to cut through.
Have you tried any of the filter magnets? I was scared off by the high cost of the wrap-around magnets so I purchased some generic ones to try. Would be interested in your thoughts. Was planning to cut open the SRT041 filters I'm using to see if the magnets are collecting anything.

The magnets I ordered (obviously not using the screws!) for the outside of the oil filter:
DIYMAG Neodymium Round Base Cup Magnet,110LBS Strong Rare Earth Magnets with Heavy Duty Countersunk Hole,Stainless Screws,Iron Sheet for Refrigerator Magnets,Office,etc-Dia 1.26 inch-Pack of 8 https://a.co/d/fHGy0cZ

The high-dollar option:
Bear Trap BT900 Magnetic Filter | Prevent Engine Wear & Double The Life of Your Oil & Filter https://a.co/d/iQjZHFG

Have you tried any of the filter magnets? I was scared off by the high cost of the wrap-around magnets so I purchased some generic ones to try. Would be interested in your thoughts. Was planning to cut open the SRT041 filters I'm using to see if the magnets are collecting anything.

The magnets I ordered (obviously not using the screws!) for the outside of the oil filter:
DIYMAG Neodymium Round Base Cup Magnet,110LBS Strong Rare Earth Magnets with Heavy Duty Countersunk Hole,Stainless Screws,Iron Sheet for Refrigerator Magnets,Office,etc-Dia 1.26 inch-Pack of 8 https://a.co/d/fHGy0cZ

The high-dollar option:
Bear Trap BT900 Magnetic Filter | Prevent Engine Wear & Double The Life of Your Oil & Filter https://a.co/d/iQjZHFG
You ain’t the only one scared off by that price. Yikes. Back in the day I’d pull neo magnets off of old hard drives and use those but the ones in your link are good too. They will trap some of the stuff. I know the magnetic drain plug I had on my TRX was always full of black junk. Since I swapped to the ValvoMax I will go back to some kind of filter magnet. Just haven’t remembered to put one on when it’s actually convenient and I can reach the damn thing.

Magnets are our friend. The more of them, the better.

These are very strong, and come with a "set screw" to make it possible to get them off again.
DSCN4834[1].JPG

I want to thank you again @OnTheReel for all your work here. Went to a couple different places looking for the standard MO-899 filter and it was out of stock everywhere. So, brought up your comprehensive chart and was able to find a Purolator PL24651 that had good specs and grabbed a couple! Thanks again!

Got a new one. Walmart exclusive Fram Endurance. Sort of a cross between the Amsoil and Royal Purple, made by Champion Labs just like those. A Fram for people who won’t use a Fram. Base plate is the same as the Amsoil, filter section appears identical to the Royal Purple (although rated a little higher efficiency, 99% @ 20 microns). Bypass setting is 11-17 PSI like those other filters as well.
IMG_0223.jpeg
IMG_0224.jpeg
IMG_0264.jpeg

Suspect the Fram Ultra is still a little more efficient below 20 microns. But this has a heavier case than the Ultra (400 PSI burst strength vs 360 PSI). Overall I dig it. When you consider the Royal Purple is hard to find and more expensive, and the Amsoil is way more expensive, it’s nice to know I can grab one of these for $12.97 at any Walmart. I have an extra I’m gonna use next time around.

The testing program I started using this year happens to give particle count. Not something you get with most automotive oil analysis. But it makes for a great illustration of the impact on oil cleanliness with different filters. In this case we can see how a filter geared toward extended drain intervals (Purolator Boss, 99% @ 25) lags behind one focused on efficiency (Fram Ultra, 99%+ @ 20).

Left (grey column) is new oil right out of the bottle. Middle column is my sample with Fram Ultra filter. Right column is my sample with the Purolator Boss.
IMG_1659.jpeg

Quite a lot cleaner with the Fram and the sample actually had ~1100 more miles on it.

Also shows that the filter (with a 12 PSI bypass setting) is NOT bypassing all the time like some goofballs on youtube apparently think. You don’t get numbers like this unless the filter is…filtering. And filtering well.

Yep, I have been running the MO-041 for the last year. It’s a great option, especially for those who don’t want to use aftermarket parts. I also really like the Royal Purple, and will be using one for my oil change next month. Finally, I think the Boss and Fram Ultra are really good and I plan to try them at some point.
Fantastic write up! Did you end up using the Royal Purple filter and if so, how did it do? Trying to decide between that and the stock filter, maybe the Viper one.

Last edited:
Fantastic, write up! Did you end up using the Royal Purple filter and if so, how did it do? Trying to decide between that and the stock filter, maybe the Viper one.
I haven’t run the RP yet. Mainly because it’s pretty hard to get lately and I wanted to focus on testing more relevant filters that people will actually use. Specifically finding the most efficient one based on used oil particle count. Next up will be the Amsoil for me.

Thanks OnTheReel for this write up. Very informational. I work at a local auto parts store and I use the Carquest 85372 filter which as of this year 2023 is made by premium guard. Or so I’m told. I didn’t see any on your list or if it is I missed it. Do you have any information on the PGFilters by chance or cut one apart lately?
Thanks again

Thanks OnTheReel for this write up. Very informational. I work at a local auto parts store and I use the Carquest 85372 filter which as of this year 2023 is made by premium guard. Or so I’m told. I didn’t see any on your list or if it is I missed it. Do you have any information on the PGFilters by chance or cut one apart lately?
Thanks again
So I haven’t actually seen that Carquest filter in person. But going off the photo and specs on Advance Auto’s site I am fairly certain it is (or at least was) made by Mann & Hummel. The base plate looks identical to the Purolator and Mobil 1, and the bypass rating (8-16) is also shared with the Purolator filters in this application.
IMG_5040.jpeg

Obviously they change manufacturers from time to time so until I can actually see one from current stock, that’s all I have.

In regards to Premium Guard, I know they make a lot of the STP (Autozone) filters in addition to their own branded ones. I may take a look at one soon, but considering they are mostly made in China, they wouldn’t be a product I’d ever use.

anybody check out the Fram HP-16 ?
FRAM HP16
  • Low-restriction racing media designed for high oil flow.
  • 94% efficiency @20 microns for excellent engine protection.
  • Silicone anti-drain back valve on HP16, HP17, HP18, HP19 and HP20.
  • Recommended maximum oil flow: 10-18gpm, depending on model.***
  • Maximum burst pressure: 350-500psi, depending on model
1691007136523.png

So I haven’t actually seen that Carquest filter in person. But going off the photo and specs on Advance Auto’s site I am fairly certain it is (or at least was) made by Mann & Hummel. The base plate looks identical to the Purolator and Mobil 1, and the bypass rating (8-16) is also shared with the Purolator filters in this application.
View attachment 105425
Obviously they change manufacturers from time to time so until I can actually see one from current stock, that’s all I have.

In regards to Premium Guard, I know they make a lot of the STP (Autozone) filters in addition to their own branded ones. I may take a look at one soon, but considering they are mostly made in China, they wouldn’t be a product I’d ever use.
Here’s a picture of the current filter, without being cut apart. I see they say made in Vietnam. Looks like they might have the updated red silicone gasket and drain valve but not sure about the rest of it. If you ever want one of these to cut apart let me know. I’m just across the river in MN.

Attachments

• IMG_4886.jpeg
    IMG_4886.jpeg
    335.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4885.jpeg
    IMG_4885.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4887.jpeg
    IMG_4887.jpeg
    426.1 KB · Views: 12
Here’s a picture of the current filter, without being cut apart. I see they say made in Vietnam. Looks like they might have the updated red silicone gasket and drain valve but not sure about the rest of it. If you ever want one of these to cut apart let me know. I’m just across the river in MN.
Thanks for the pics. I’m just off the coast of Lake Michigan so that would be a haul! At any rate, it definitely looks like a Premium Guard. Funny, with those pics I can confirm the 85372 has been made by Champion Labs, M&H and now PG (yours). Depending upon how old the stock is on the shelf where you buy it, you could wind up with 1 of 3 completely different filters that are the “same”.

For what it’s worth, this is the STP version of that. Made in China instead of Vietnam but otherwise the same design from PG:
IMG_5060.jpeg

I’m curious enough to pick a couple up and see next time I’m out and about.

Reactions: Two
anybody check out the Fram HP-16 ?
FRAM HP16
  • Low-restriction racing media designed for high oil flow.
  • 94% efficiency @20 microns for excellent engine protection.
  • Silicone anti-drain back valve on HP16, HP17, HP18, HP19 and HP20.
  • Recommended maximum oil flow: 10-18gpm, depending on model.***
  • Maximum burst pressure: 350-500psi, depending on model
View attachment 105429
Haven’t seen anyone using them on this platform. They look to be very well made, just hard to see an upside for my purposes. Is the added flow actually useful when the Ultra and other “non-racing” filters effectively never bypass in normal use? Is the added case thickness a benefit when normal filters don’t explode anyway? Normal filters have much higher efficiency and holding capacity than the Fram Racing, too.

Is the added case thickness a benefit when normal filters don’t explode anyway?

I actually managed to make a PH-8 swell up when playing around with the pressure relief in the oil pump on a Jeep.

Had the pressure been higher yet I strongly suspect that one of the hoses would've come off its fitting before the filter body ruptured.

I actually managed to make a PH-8 swell up when playing around with the pressure relief in the oil pump on a Jeep.

Had the pressure been higher yet I strongly suspect that one of the hoses would've come off its fitting before the filter body ruptured.
Impressive because the regular Frams have one of the thinner cans that I’ve seen, too.

That said I’m sure the Fram Racing filter still has its place. Just probably not a street car.

Reactions: Two
Impressive because the regular Frams have one of the thinner cans that I’ve seen, too.

Wish I knew how high the pressure was, but I have no idea how much above 100 psi it was. That's as high as the gauge reads.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back