*47* RAM TRX / HELLCAT OIL FILTERS CUT & COMPARED

What is your pick of the bunch?

• Total voters
@OnTheReel Would you mind taking a few minutes to view and comment on this video?

They are doing a pretty good job with these tests, especially compared to their earlier attempts. To actually test filter efficiency like the manufacturers is very expensive and requires particle counters inline before and after the filter.

Measuring particle count after the test like they do is the next best thing, but is only useful in comparing performance with other filters tested in the same exact method. No surprise the Amsoil did the best in that test, but not in the flow test.

All that being said I do wish they actually listed the particle counts down to 4 micron in accordance to ISO 4406 (like the tables I post from my UOAs). Just gives a much clearer picture and makes the difference much more apparent between filters.

IMG_1596.jpeg

@OnTheReel
Based on your tests and findings from cutting open filters, would you recommend using a fram FE2, FS2 , OR XG2 with amsoil 0W40? And which one would you recommend? Currently running the MO-899 with the standard PUP oil doing oil changes every 2500-3000 miles. Looking to extend to 5,000-6,000 mile oil changes

Last edited:
@OnTheReel
Based on your tests and findings from cutting open filters, would you recommend using a fram FE2, FS2 , OR XG2 with amsoil? And which one would you recommend? Currently running the MO-899 with the standard PUP oil doing oil changes every 2500-3000 miles. Looking to extend to 5,000-6,000 mile oil changes
Is the Amsoil filter no good??

@OnTheReel
Based on your tests and findings from cutting open filters, would you recommend using a fram FE2, FS2 , OR XG2 with amsoil 0W40? And which one would you recommend? Currently running the MO-899 with the standard PUP oil doing oil changes every 2500-3000 miles. Looking to extend to 5,000-6,000 mile oil changes
Any of the three would be a great choice honestly. The FS2 and XG2 are basically the same filter and have performed absolutely great in my particle count testing.

FE2 is totally different. Made by Champ labs, just like the Amsoil, and it shares quite a lot with that one. Going off of looks it seems identical in the filter media, in fact. The Amsoil did awesome in the PC test and I suspect the FE2 will too. But it’ll be awhile until I get around to having actual data to back that up.

@OnTheReel
Based on your tests and findings from cutting open filters, would you recommend using a fram FE2, FS2 , OR XG2 with amsoil? And which one would you recommend? Currently running the MO-899 with the standard PUP oil doing oil changes every 2500-3000 miles. Looking to extend to 5,000-6,000 mile oil changes

Any of the three would be a great choice honestly. The FS2 and XG2 are basically the same filter and have performed absolutely great in my particle count testing.

FE2 is totally different. Made by Champ labs, just like the Amsoil, and it shares quite a lot with that one. Going off of looks it seems identical in the filter media, in fact. The Amsoil did awesome in the PC test and I suspect the FE2 will too. But it’ll be awhile until I get around to having actual data to back that up.
Great. Thanks for the info. Going to get a few ordered

Awesome write up OnTheReel thank you for taking the time to do all of this. I know there are a ton of filter options all with Pros and Cons, I started running Napa Goldline filters back in the 80's. My Dad and I cut many filters apart and the Goldline was totally different compared to everything else, I don't know if that is still that case but is this something you have looked at?

By the way, I have a 2023 Jeep 392 6.4l and there is a thread on jeep392.com which is where I found out about your thread.

Awesome write up OnTheReel thank you for taking the time to do all of this. I know there are a ton of filter options all with Pros and Cons, I started running Napa Goldline filters back in the 80's. My Dad and I cut many filters apart and the Goldline was totally different compared to everything else, I don't know if that is still that case but is this something you have looked at?

By the way, I have a 2023 Jeep 392 6.4l and there is a thread on jeep392.com which is where I found out about your thread.
The Napa Golds I reviewed a year or two ago were just relabeled standard Wix filters, no difference at all. Recently some Napa Golds are now being made in China, but not sure if our application is one of them.

The Napa Golds I reviewed a year or two ago were just relabeled standard Wix filters, no difference at all. Recently some Napa Golds are now being made in China, but not sure if our application is one of them.
Got it, quick question I went to Fram's website and put in my Vehicle specifics and the E2, FS2 , OR XG2 do not come up as working on the Jeep 392's. It list the XG10060 and FS10060 as compatible filters. Thanks again for all of this, really interesting thread!

Got it, quick question I went to Fram's website and put in my Vehicle specifics and the E2, FS2 , OR XG2 do not come up as working on the Jeep 392's. It list the XG10060 and FS10060 as compatible filters. Thanks again for all of this, really interesting thread!
The 10060 is the small/short bodied filter. Usually goes on the 5.7 Rams with EPS, and other smaller Chrysler engines. From what I’ve seen the 392 uses the full sized filter (MO-899) from the factory. If so, the FS2/XG2 would be correct, not the 10060.

I’m sure the 392 interchange catalog is as screwed up as the TRX’s has been, so I would take it with a grain of salt.

The 10060 is the small/short bodied filter. Usually goes on the 5.7 Rams with EPS, and other smaller Chrysler engines. From what I’ve seen the 392 uses the full sized filter (MO-899) from the factory. If so, the FS2/XG2 would be correct, not the 10060.

I’m sure the 392 interchange catalog is as screwed up as the TRX’s has been, so I would take it with a grain of salt.
Good to know, thanks!

Does anyone have access to the Tech Specs for the OEM oil pump & OEM oil filter that they would be willing to share? I am most interested in,
1) OEM oil pump flow rate by RPM table
2) OEM oil filter, pressure at which bypass opens?

@OnTheReel what's your take on Polaris labs oil sampling?
They do good work. Polaris is the lab used for the tests sold on Amsoil’s site. They also do a lot of fleet and OE work. I definitely trust their data more than Blackstone.

They do good work. Polaris is the lab used for the tests sold on Amsoil’s site. They also do a lot of fleet and OE work. I definitely trust their data more than Blackstone.
That's good to hear, I just found out my company uses them and I get the sample kit for $14. Changing my oil tonight at 2300 miles on the PUP, and switching to amsoil. Going to take a sample and send it in this time and next time to get a comparison

That's good to hear, I just found out my company uses them and I get the sample kit for $14. Changing my oil tonight at 2300 miles on the PUP, and switching to amsoil. Going to take a sample and send it in this time and next time to get a comparison
Please do share. I have collected probably close to 50 samples between my truck and others who have shared (across the Hellcat engine platform, not just TRX).

The goal is to process the data into something more digestible for everyone. Also will be running virgin samples of the top 5 most popular oils for this platform because it will add a lot of context to everyone’s UOAs. I have some done already but they are a few years old and not from the best lab.

Please do share. I have collected probably close to 50 samples between my truck and others who have shared (across the Hellcat engine platform, not just TRX).

The goal is to process the data into something more digestible for everyone. Also will be running virgin samples of the top 5 most popular oils for this platform because it will add a lot of context to everyone’s UOAs. I have some done already but they are a few years old and not from the best lab.
Will do. At $14 a sample, i might do one every oil change, or atleast every other one if they come back ok. Probably going to extend my oil changes out to 4,000, then maybe 5,000 with the amsoil if the results show its ok. Running 2,500-3,000 mile intervals with the PUP has me changing oil every other month just about(86 miles round trip, about 78 of those on highway)
Shouldn't take long to get results back as one of their facilities is right here in houston, if that's where it gets sent to

Please share with everyone for $14 a test 😎

Reactions: Two
Back