Vibration/grinding on takeoff

I know I'm late to this post and hoping it's still open. I just purchased a 2024 Ram 1500 TRX and have that shifting noise when going from 1st to 2nd gear. "the exact issue noted in the video posted Nov 27, 2022 #12". Was the issue/cause ever found?

I know I'm late to this post and hoping it's still open. I just purchased a 2024 Ram 1500 TRX and have that shifting noise when going from 1st to 2nd gear. "the exact issue noted in the video posted Nov 27, 2022 #12". Was the issue/cause ever found?
I don’t think so. Still happening to mine. It’s just one of those issues that’s difficult for dealers to recreate and fix. They were replacing parts on other members trucks but I don’t think we’ve come to a conclusive answer yet. Mine will only do it on the first 1-2 under about half throttle and then it’s gone. I’m still not too worried about it but would like a resolution for it it asap.

No resolution. Ram said it was normal operating condition. It obviously isn’t, but that was their answer to me. I can recreate the sound virtually anytime I want. Sorry pal…seems like we just have to live w it. Is annoying and embarrassing.

No resolution. Ram said it was normal operating condition. It obviously isn’t, but that was their answer to me. I can recreate the sound virtually anytime I want. Sorry pal…seems like we just have to live w it. Is annoying and embarrassing.
I have the same thing happening to my truck going from 1st to 2nd under 50-60% throttle. Have taken it in twice now but they couldn’t replicate the issue. But they did tell me they wrote it down on my vehicles file whatever that is

Just following up with this thread. Here is mine at the 9 second mark.

Any resolution?

Attachments

• 2023-12-27_08-18.m4v
    203 KB
Just following up with this thread. Here is mine at the 9 second mark.

Any resolution?
Welcome to the club :(

As far as my personal experience goes. It’s in my “file whatever that means

Add another one to the list. My 22 with 29k miles just did this for the first time this morning. Super loud and scared the crap out me. I've been noticing a lag or slip when the truck is cold at very light throttle applications coming from a stop but never anything this bad. Anyone had the transmission replaced as a fix yet?

Add another one to the list. My 22 with 29k miles just did this for the first time this morning. Super loud and scared the crap out me. I've been noticing a lag or slip when the truck is cold at very light throttle applications coming from a stop but never anything this bad. Anyone had the transmission replaced as a fix yet?
The first time I heard this with a customer, it took a bit to figure it out. Sounds like a wooden chair sliding across a floor? It's in the trans. Performed all the air check tests and found 1/2 clutch test failed. replaced trans with new and customer has never had any issues since. I should mention I am lead engine / performance tech at local dealership.

My front diff, rear diff, and transfer case were all low from the factory. I would check them all and not just assume they are correct
how low? The are filled from the manufacturer, and the levels are not old school, till it runs out the fill hole. The proper level is 1/8" to 1/4" below the fill hole.

how low? The are filled from the manufacturer, and the levels are not old school, till it runs out the fill hole. The proper level is 1/8" to 1/4" below the fill hole.
Between 1/3-1/2 quart low each. When i checked with a pick(about 1/2" long), there was no fluid on it. So i drained and refilled all 3

The first time I heard this with a customer, it took a bit to figure it out. Sounds like a wooden chair sliding across a floor? It's in the trans. Performed all the air check tests and found 1/2 clutch test failed. replaced trans with new and customer has never had any issues since. I should mention I am lead engine / performance tech at local dealership.

Finally, someone figured it out. When I take it to my dealership what should I say? Also, the last time I took it to my dealership it would not make the noise on that day. Any advice on how to handle this?

Can you please elaborate on these tests so i can inform my dealer? is it a standard procedure they should have done the first time i brought it in when they were "unable to duplicate" the issue?

Can you please elaborate on these tests so i can inform my dealer? is it a standard procedure they should have done the first time i brought it in when they were "unable to duplicate" the issue?
Second this request. Dealer has my truck right now for some other stuff as well as this.

With the descriptions of when this noise occurs:
- When cold, warms up it quits.
- When accelerating.
- When accelerating turning left.
Is it possible these vehicles have low ATF fluid? ATF expands when heated. Maybe when accelerating and or turning left, the fluid is sloshed away from the filter intake area and sucks air?

I have two TRX's and recently checked the fluid level on both. I ran them both the day before and ran them to get the ATF temp hot enough to open the thermostat valve to send the oil through the oil cooler. You can tell when this happens, since the temp continues to rise up to 200 deg then regulates up and down around this temp. This assures that air is purged from the cooling system. I then followed the oil check steps. I left the fill plug out and let the engine idle while the ATF temp increased. On both TRX's the oil started flowing out the hole at 110 deg ATF temp. Yes, both did this at the exact same temp. I always check front diff, rear diff and transfer case on new rigs, which were perfect on my TRX's. I did not check the ATF since it was a pain to do. But, given the number reports on this forum regarding this noise, I decided to chech the ATF. Luckily, perfect.

As per Chrysler service info,
  1. Raise and support the vehicle on a level hoist (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Hoisting - Standard Procedure) .
  2. Start the engine. The engine must continue to run for the entire test.
  3. Using a scan tool or the vehicle information center, verify that the transmission fluid temperature is between 30°C (86°F) and 50°C (122°F).
  4. Disable Electronic Stability Control (ESC).
  5. Remove the fill plug from the right rear of the transmission case.
    3b45314b-ef2e-40b3-8747-9907c255fe08
    1 - Fill Plug
  6. Add transmission fluid until it trickles from the fill opening.
  7. Install the fill plug.
  8. Lower the vehicle for access to inside of the vehicle, leaving the tires at least eight inches off the ground.
  9. With the brakes applied, place the transmission in Reverse and hold for five seconds.
  10. Place the transmission in Drive and hold for five seconds.
  11. Release the brakes, slowly accelerate to 2nd gear and hold for five seconds.
  12. Apply the brakes and place the transmission in Neutral.
  13. Raise the engine speed to 2000 RPM for five seconds.
  14. Return the engine to idle and place the transmission in Park.

NOTE:
    A full transmission will have fluid at the fill hole with the transmission between 30°C (86°F) and 50°C (122°F). Do not over fill.
  15. Remove the fill plug and allow excess fluid to drain from fill hole or add fluid as necessary.
  16. Install the fill plug.
  17. Using a diagnostic scan tool, clear any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).

Service info for the front diff
  1. Remove the fill plug.
    ec21fbd8-497a-489c-afa6-388e0e14ad60
    1 - Drain Plug
    2 - Fill Plug
  2. Take a piece of wire (or zip tie) and make a 90 degree bend two inches from the end of the wire. Add a measurement line 6 mm (1/4 inch) below the bend. Insert the wire into the fill plug hole and use it like a dipstick.
  3. Remove the wire and measure from the 90 degree bend to the oil level:

• If the fluid level is between 3 mm (1/8 inch) and 6 mm (1/4 inch) from the bend, the fluid level is correct.
    • If the fluid level is less than 3 mm (1/8 inch) from the bend, remove fluid until the level is between 3 mm (1/8 inch) and 6 mm (1/4 inch) from the bend.
    • If the fluid level is more 6 mm (1/4 inch) from the bend, add the proper fluid, refer to (Vehicle Quick Reference/Capacities and Recommended Fluids/Specifications) until the level is between 3 mm (1/8 inch) and 6 mm (1/4 inch) from the bend.
  4. Install the fill plug and tighten to the proper (Torque Specifications)

Does anybody know how common of a problem this has been?

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back