Differential and Transfer Case Fluid Change- My Observations

Would there be any problem with the redline D6 ATF fluid in the t case
Or is the D4 closer to spec ? Any amsoil fluid close to spec to use ? Also the transmission fluid any recommended amsoil or redline ATF ?
Can the gurus chime in.
D6 is the low viscosity ATF, equivalent to the Amsoil Blue Cap ATF. D4 is the regular multi vehicle stuff, equivalent to the Amsoil Red Cap ATF. Amsoil calls for blue cap in our trans and red cap in the transfer case. So we can deduce that RL D6 is for the trans and D4 for the transfer case.
 
To get rid of the annoying clicking noise. Along with getting the junk from break-in out. Fluid was pretty nasty coming out.

Black not greenish color like it is new.

Ive run Amsoil for over 20 years.
Trx is very happy with it. 😎
Are you running amsoil on the tcase, front and rear diff?
 
any issues so far? How long have you been running amsoil? And is your vehicle under warranty?
I changed at 501 again at 4500 again at 9000k .
Still have 1 year warranty.
Zero issues. Shifts super smooth. Diffs run very well. I checked plg no metal at all.
 
I changed at 501 again at 4500 again at 9000k .
Still have 1 year warranty.
Zero issues. Shifts super smooth. Diffs run very well. I checked plg no metal at all.
do you have to replace any drain plug gaskets for the front/rear diff, or the tcase? Or will permatex high-temp sealant work?
 
No has fill.olug and drain plugs on all
 
I don't understand. Does that mean there is no gasket that needs to be replaced for the drain plugs? I appreciate you man.
No. Watch Potters video. They are pipe plugs.
Use torque wrench for install and you will have no issues.
 
I don't understand. Does that mean there is no gasket that needs to be replaced for the drain plugs? I appreciate you man
You can put a little permatex thread sealant or Teflon tape around the threads if you're worried about it leaking. If using thread sealant, don't put any on the first 2 threads to prevent it from getting in the oil
 
We have never used anything on the threads and most of the time we don’t even use a torque wrench and we’ve had no issues
 
Thoughts on this? @OnTheReel
https://www.blauparts.com/ram-1500-...rential-fluid-change-kit-2021-2022-48-13.html
1737649133869.webp
 
I used Mopar fluids and bought the plugs too. Plugs can be reused, but you need to know which thread sealant to apply, and not all plugs need it. People also use Amsoil fluids. Also, use the correct torque. If you like more info let me know so I can find in my notes the part number for all fluids and the torque for each plug.

Plugs:
68533830AA
68526789AA
68529743AA
68531552AA
 
Last edited:
But the TRX calls for 68049954AC, is AA for 2009-2020 vehicles? Outside of the TRX years. I want to do my fluids soon and get the new stuff out.
View attachment 132880
Same fluid. The AA to AC is a part supersession. Happens anytime anything changes even a package, label, or supplier. In this case, it is an interchangeable supersession. IF you went into a dealer and asked for the AA number and they put it in, it would pop up that it has superceded to the AC number and they would order you that.
 
Last edited:
I changed fluids in my diffs and t-case today at 4200 miles. I used Amsoil severe gear in diffs and Mopar BW fluid in the t-case. Rear diff had fine metal on drain plug magnet and a metal sheen to the oil in the drain pan. The other fluids looked good. Maybe not necessary but glad I did it.
 
I changed mine for the second time today. The first round I used all mopar fluids but this time I used amsoil and it’s so much easier using a bag instead of bottles! I would 100% recommend it. Took me less than couple of hours! Thanks for the great info to the og poster. Copied the set up also ha ha 👍
 

Attachments

  • 25AAD13B-3B67-48B9-B040-6D763D22D9F4.webp
    25AAD13B-3B67-48B9-B040-6D763D22D9F4.webp
    203.2 KB · Views: 37
I just used this kit today. I chanced it and did not go for the extra liter of T case fluid, I ended up with a few ounces left over.
Overall was a breeze to do following Tylers video and the write up at the beginning of this thread.

I did the diffs and transfer case at 30K. Transfer case fluid looked in better shape than the diffs. Decent amount of sludge on the drain bolt of the diffs. I would keep up with every 30K for all 3.
 

TRX Forum Favs 👍

Back
Top