Differential and Transfer Case Fluid Change- My Observations

View attachment 57001

Here's what I learned after changing the front and rear differential fluid and the transfer case fluid today. Total cost was about $200. Half of that is the t-case fluid, which is Mopar proprietary.

I generally followed this video, which is excellent:

Always pull the fill plug first before you pull the drain plug. If you can’t get the fill plug out, then you want to know that before you drain all the fluid in your diff and make your truck immobile. My TRX’s plugs all readily came out. No problems.

Creating some space to work made the job very simple. I used Rhino Ramps Max. A pair of them is rated to 16,000 lbs, so four should be sufficient for a 6,000 lb truck. Putting the truck in 4L made it easier to creep up on them slowly. Like Sammy Hagar said, use one foot on the brake and one on the gas to creep up there slowly.

View attachment 57002

Some of the bolts holding on the front skid plate seem to have a 5/8 head rather than 16mm. I brought both 6-point sockets under the truck, and the 5/8 fit better on the front skid.

The rear diff is easiest. I torqued the drain and fill plugs to 20 ft-lbs. I used Amsoil 75W-140 synthetic severe gear lube. I bought 3 quarts and had plenty left in the final bag. The drain plug is a 1/4" drive square (just put a 1/4" extension in there. 3" long will do). The fill plug is a 3/8" square (just put a 3/8" drive extension in there. 3" long will do).

The transfer case is the most difficult of the three, but it's still not a bad job at all. Getting around the exhaust pipe requires a longer extension that you will use for only that fill plug. When you pull the drain plug the fluid is going to gush, so be ready for it. It flows out much faster than the front and rear diff. Position your drain pan well in front of the drain hole. Finally, here's a trick I used to waste less of the new fluid:
1. Take one of the clean, unused pointed fill caps from the Amsoil fill bags and install it on the first transfer case fluid bottle.
2. There's just going to be some fluid loss with this one, but it'll be fine. Tip it into the fill hole as best you can. Drain it all the way.
3. Now go back to your workbench and crack open a new bottle of the transfer case fluid. Use a clean funnel to pour about half of it into the empty bottle you just emptied.
4. Put the pointed fill tip back on the half full bottle. Now go dump it into the t-case. At half full, it won't squirt out on you as you tip it over to angle it into the fill hole.
5. Repeat with half full bottles until you get the t-case filled.

I also torqued the t-case plugs to 20 ft-lbs. I bought 3 quarts of Mopar 68049954AC and had almost a full quart left over. If you were stingy with every drop, you might get away with 2 quarts. But I wouldn't want to chance it. Both drain and fill plugs are 3/8" square. The drain plug will be fine with your 3" extension. You will need a 6" extension for the fill plug, in order to get around the exhaust pipe.

The front diff is easy with the skid plates removed. It uses an 8mm allen key on both plugs. I did not have a way to torque this one to spec, so I used judgment. I also aligned the pink marks that seem to have been put there at the factory on the plugs and the diff body. I filled with Amsoil 75W-90 synthetic severe gear lube. I bought 2 quarts and had some left over in the second bag.

My rear diff fluid showed a little metal sheen in the drain pan. The magnetic plug also had a little bit of grime stuck to it that I cleaned. I was happy to get that fluid changed. The t-case and front diff honestly looked great. There probably wasn't much value in changing that fluid, but it's good for my peace of mind. At this point (1400 miles) all my oil and driveline fluids except the transmission fluid have been changed. I wanted to get the break-in particles out of there.

View attachment 57003

I honestly can't tell if any of the diffs were underfilled. I know that excess never ran out of the fill plug hole when I pulled the fill plug before draining. But I didn't do the science experiment of measuring the volume drained from each. I know there's more in there now than when I started, because I re-installed with fill plugs with fluid still weeping.

This is a straightforward job and one I would recommend, given the reputation of our trucks for having under-filled diffs from the factory, and given the fact I like to give a little extra TLC to my $100k truck with 702hp motor...but that's just me.
A question for you, do you happen to have the driveshaft clunk in your truck? I have been told that the clunk may be in the diff and not the driveshaft so I was curious if using the Amsoil in the diff you are experiencing the clunk? I believe Ram uses Mobil LT from the factory. Thanks for your feedback.

A question for you, do you happen to have the driveshaft clunk in your truck? I have been told that the clunk may be in the diff and not the driveshaft so I was curious if using the Amsoil in the diff you are experiencing the clunk? I believe Ram uses Mobil LT from the factory. Thanks for your feedback.
Im running amsoil in mine. Instaleld at 501 miles.

Front rear diff. T-case and Trans. No clunck. Drive line quiet also.

Im running amsoil in mine. Instaleld at 501 miles.

Front rear diff. T-case and Trans. No clunck. Drive line quiet also.
Interesting, thanks for the feedback

Running in 4wd for short distance on hard surface will not hurt anything. Manufacturers need to design drive trains strong enough to handle operation on pavement. People will do it and it cannot break each time someone happens to do it.
A great check of the drive train when buying used is to place it in 4wd and do tight lock to lock turns in a parking lot. This does stress the drive train, which you want, and if u-joints etc are bad, you will hear it. A good drive train will handle it fine with no noise, except for the tire scraping on the pavement. This is assuming you are running a stock drive train and stock sized tires.
I had my rear locker on one time just to see how it would launch but then I had to make a turn to get off the main road to get pulled over. That was the hardest turn I have ever made and I sure won't do that again.

I do not have the "clunk"...I think. I can feel a light thud occasionally when the clunk is supposed to happen. But it doesn't make any noise--it's just felt as something other than butter smooth acceleration from a stop. And it's not bad enough that I want to worry with a dealer. 7,000 miles.

I do not have the "clunk"...I think. I can feel a light thud occasionally when the clunk is supposed to happen. But it doesn't make any noise--it's just felt as something other than butter smooth acceleration from a stop. And it's not bad enough that I want to worry with a dealer. 7,000 miles.
Yep, that's it. No noise just feeling it mainly in your seat. Not a huge deal to me but mine does it every stop and most of my driving is stop and go.

My dealer says it's just how these trucks are but Ram says it shouldn't be doing that. Dealer suspects it's in the diff, Ram thinks it's a driveshaft issue. I thought maybe I had stumbled onto a simple solution here. 🙂

This is my only knit pic with this truck, extremely happy with it. Thanks for your response.

I would think his truck (everything) is broke in at 1400 miles.

Yep, that's it. No noise just feeling it mainly in your seat. Not a huge deal to me but mine does it every stop and most of my driving is stop and go.

My dealer says it's just how these trucks are but Ram says it shouldn't be doing that. Dealer suspects it's in the diff, Ram thinks it's a driveshaft issue. I thought maybe I had stumbled onto a simple solution here. 🙂

This is my only knit pic with this truck, extremely happy with it. Thanks for your response.
Pretty sure the thid noise is differential disengaging sides. Like a posi rear end. My buddies does it. Mostly when turning a corner.
His is a 21

Awesome write up

Amsoil red top transmission fluid for t case
Blue top for the transmission.
Dealer may whine for red color but amsoil has the spec on the website now.

Switch both mine. Shifts way smoother and tcase is quiet also. Use to make a clunck noise before i changed it. Everything is amsoil on truck now.
To get rid of the annoying clicking noise. Along with getting the junk from break-in out. Fluid was pretty nasty coming out.

Black not greenish color like it is new.

Ive run Amsoil for over 20 years.
Trx is very happy with it. 😎

I have a 22 level 1 19k,
and it's currently at the dealer now with suspect rear diff issues, I feel it like you guys do, at stop and go situations, it's like a clunk from first to second or even before second . And when I slow down coming to a stop. I'll keep you posted

I have a 22 level 1 19k,
and it's currently at the dealer now with suspect rear diff issues, I feel it like you guys do, at stop and go situations, it's like a clunk from first to second or even before second . And when I slow down coming to a stop. I'll keep you posted
You sure its not the infamous "CLUNK"...??

I swapped to redline in the t-case and mine still clunks. '22 with 16500mi. It's clunked as long as I can remember.

I have a 22 level 1 19k,
Update 8/21 they fixed my noise, it was the drive shaft slip joint boot from trans to transfer case. / Under warranty no bill.

Hey guys,
I did diffs and transfer case fluids change. So far so good (barely space under the truck) until I found that the transfer case only took 2 Qts when should be 2.5, so I tried to add more but didn’t want to use the pump this time so I did it directly from the bottle and with so such bad luck that the cap in the bottle got inside the transfer case. Any suggestion to get that thing out there? I know I know! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
I purchased a borescope inspection camera to check where it is inside.

IMG_0282.jpeg

Hey guys,
I did diffs and transfer case fluids change. So far so good (barely space under the truck) until I found that the transfer case only took 2 Qts when should be 2.5, so I tried to add more but didn’t want to use the pump this time so I did it directly from the bottle and with so such bad luck that the cap in the bottle got inside the transfer case. Any suggestion to get that thing out there? I know I know! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
I purchased a borescope inspection camera to check where it is inside.

View attachment 128640
Pull the drain plug and hope it comes close to the drain hole so you can manipulate some sort of a pick / tool to coax it out? Put the drain plug back in. Catch the fluid in a clean pan and use a transfer pump to pump it back in.

That one I sent has both rolled into one. Good luck getting that out of there hopefully it won’t be too much of a chore.
I noticed that but I bought them when it happened so get them tomorrow morning. Thank you!!!

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back