They Got Me!

That sucks, good luck!! ..id either uber or arrange a car service for future airport trips..which got me thinking how did they get out without the parking ticket which I assume was with you? Hate thieves!
That's what I do every time. No way I'm leaving my $80K super duty in some open lot at the airport. I'm 30mins at most from DFW. It's $40 with Uber and my Amex get me $$ to use with Uber.
Plus we have hail here and that's another nightmare.

Of course one time parked in the garage the tile saw fell off a shelf during a storm and smashed the fender....
 
Sadly… these thefts are almost always connected to an insider.

guy who works at the dealer contacting his buddies

Guy at the parking lot contacting his buddies…

And there is no such thing as a fool proof way to stop a vehicle theft. If they want it they will make a plan to get it….

now a kill switch is good idea but if they want it they will put it in neutral and tow it on a chain.

Motor swaps, part outs… motor swaps… motor swaps… motor swaps… are as likely as a joy ride crime spree run on these and LS vehicles.

sad that the enthusiast community is eating its own.
 
That sucks, good luck!! ..id either uber or arrange a car service for future airport trips..which got me thinking how did they get out without the parking ticket which I assume was with you? Hate thieves!
On video the three vehicles are tailgating the lead vehicle out so close the gate doesn't close.
 
That's what I do every time. No way I'm leaving my $80K super duty in some open lot at the airport. I'm 30mins at most from DFW. It's $40 with Uber and my Amex get me $$ to use with Uber.
Plus we have hail here and that's another nightmare.

Of course one time parked in the garage the tile saw fell off a shelf during a storm and smashed the fender....
Uber and Lyft still hit or miss in the burbs.. During the day - no issues. Catching a red eye flight... there isn't a driver around at that time of day..
 
Screenshot_20210914-143908_Skitch.webp
 
Got the dreaded call from the Airport police the other day while I was out on travel. My TRX along with another travelers Trackhawk were stolen out of the daily parking garage. Thieves scouted the parking lot the night before - came back the next morning around 1030, used a programmer and stole my TRX then went to the lower level and stole the Trackhawk, and off they went. They were in the garage a total of 14 minutes. The Trackhawk owner came back first and reported his stolen that evening - which triggered the Police to review the video, then they found mine was actually taken first. Being that we are only 5 hours from Miami - I am sure both vehicles were in a container - on their way to Ghana by dinner....

Thieves had no worries or concern about the time or place. I was parked close to the elevators on the main terminal level... Didn't matter....

So now I wait..
Bummer.......don't these new trucks have a gps system in them? I have a secret GPS system in my 57 chevy that notifys me on my cell phone the second anyone tries to break in or lifts it to tow away. I can see exactly where my car is at all times. If you were out of town with your car at the airport you could call the local pd and tell them your cars is being stolen and give the exact location as the crooks take it away. Any thoughts?
 
You lose remote starting with Ravelco. Mild climate here, so I don’t miss it.
From my quick read of how it works, couldn't you just pick and choose when to take the plug? For example, if you're neighborhood is low risk then keep the cap on at the house or local runs. Then, when going to high risk areas, take the plug with you.
 
Bummer.......don't these new trucks have a gps system in them? I have a secret GPS system in my 57 chevy that notifys me on my cell phone the second anyone tries to break in or lifts it to tow away. I can see exactly where my car is at all times. If you were out of town with your car at the airport you could call the local pd and tell them your cars is being stolen and give the exact location as the crooks take it away. Any thoughts?
I can guarantee you here in Houston, TX they will still be long gone with the truck before HPD responds and does anything and by that time they will have found and disabled any other tracking devices. Technology is great but sometimes we shoot ourselves in the foot. I did contact Z Automotive and they said they are experimenting with some form of 2 factor authentication in the Tazer DT. That might slow the crooks down enough that they don’t have time and move on to another vehicle. Found online that HPD response for Priority 2 calls (which is what property theft is) averages over 10 min. Priority 1 calls such as assault average a little over 5 min.
 
Last edited:
From my quick read of how it works, couldn't you just pick and choose when to take the plug? For example, if you're neighborhood is low risk then keep the cap on at the house or local runs. Then, when going to high risk areas, take the plug with you.
That’s correct.
 
$800 iPhone is secure
$84,000 Ram TRX is not
I can't image not replacing my truck ASAP
It truly is a fantastic business plan by Ram to sell more trucks.
 
Too bad Ram hasn't updated the software like Dodge did with the Hellcat/Scat Pack Chargers and Challengers. The enhanced valet mode upgrade kills the horsepower to 2.8, meaning if someone can get into the vehicle and start it up, they can barely roll down the road at an idle. Saw this in action the other day, literally put the gas to the floor shuts down the engine. Start it back up, floor it, RPM's do not move past 500, car was barely moving on the street. Works like a champ.
 
Locator showed "could not locate" when I tried that night (about 12 hrs after it was taken) and now that I have reported it to Guardian - that option is no longer available as Guardian is continuously pinging for it.
I’d think the app would know that if there is vehicle movement and your phone is blocks, miles, or half way across country, that it should notify you. If you approve, then wave it off. If you don’t approve, then either disable vehicle at next stop or notify people with location tracking. Seems like a simple feature request for FCA.
 
For the time being, I bought a Club. Old school method but gives me piece of mind when leaving my truck at the airport. It would be great if the Tazer added a kill feature
 
For the time being, I bought a Club. Old school method but gives me piece of mind when leaving my truck at the airport. It would be great if the Tazer added a kill feature
In this day and age where even to log on to his school web account my son has a two part verification where he has to click an OK on his phone, you would think it should be an easy feature to add to a motor vehicle. The unconnect web interface/app should have that as a feature you can turn on whenever you want a bit of extra security. Make it a chip/ board that has to be replaced along with the main computer, and put it in a hard to access location. they could even require a signal from ram themselves to marry to a new cpu. Make it harder to steal the damn things.
 
This is terrible. Someone needs to do a "how to" for a simple kill switch mod (i.e. best place to tie it in -- we could then all select our own "secret location" to mount it at).
 
This is terrible. Someone needs to do a "how to" for a simple kill switch mod (i.e. best place to tie it in -- we could then all select our own "secret location" to mount it at).
Fuse 01 (25A) in the exterior PDC feeds the fuel pump. Replace this fuse with a micro 2 fuse tap... install the 25A fuse in the top portion of the fuse tap. Connect the fuse tap pigtail to your hidden kill switch, then connect the other side of the kill switch back to the empty socket in the fuse tap (use a voltmeter to find which side to connect it to - connect it to the side WITHOUT power when the key is on).

Essentially, this puts a switch inline with the fuse, killing power to the fuel pump. The upside is it's simple to install, and easily reversible (just remove fuse tap, and re-install original fuse). The downside is it's visible to anyone who knows what to look for, and can be defeated quickly. A more permanent solution is to cut into the wiring down by the fuel tank/pump, and splice in the kill switch. Find the 16 gauge (1.5mm) dark blue/orange wire in the wiring harness running alongside the driver's side frame rail, going towards the fuel tank. Cut this wire, and splice in the kill switch.
 

TRX Forum Favs 👍

Back
Top