They Got Me!

Got the dreaded call from the Airport police the other day while I was out on travel. My TRX along with another travelers Trackhawk were stolen out of the daily parking garage. Thieves scouted the parking lot the night before - came back the next morning around 1030, used a programmer and stole my TRX then went to the lower level and stole the Trackhawk, and off they went. They were in the garage a total of 14 minutes. The Trackhawk owner came back first and reported his stolen that evening - which triggered the Police to review the video, then they found mine was actually taken first. Being that we are only 5 hours from Miami - I am sure both vehicles were in a container - on their way to Ghana by dinner....

Thieves had no worries or concern about the time or place. I was parked close to the elevators on the main terminal level... Didn't matter....

So now I wait..
Really sucks man, hope it all works out
 
This blows I'm curious what insurance does for you.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ALJ
That sucks, good luck!! ..id either uber or arrange a car service for future airport trips..which got me thinking how did they get out without the parking ticket which I assume was with you? Hate thieves!
 
That sucks, good luck!! ..id either uber or arrange a car service for future airport trips..which got me thinking how did they get out without the parking ticket which I assume was with you? Hate thieves!
I can’t speak for the OP, but they will usually piggy back behind a paying customer.
 
Locator showed "could not locate" when I tried that night (about 12 hrs after it was taken) and now that I have reported it to Guardian - that option is no longer available as Guardian is continuously pinging for it.
These thieves are pretty smart. My 2015 Ignition Orange was stolen from my dealership service department. First thing they did was rip out the mirror with the telematics and the shark fin antenna on the roof. Guardian tried pinging it, but the modem was gone. Nothing they could do. Found it in Minneapolis a couple of days later with lots of front end damage and reports of burglaries on it. Nice. I'm going to hide an Apple Air Tag in it if it ever happens again.
 
Sucks for the OP, sorry to hear.
Damn. I may resort to a kill switch, but hate that it would mean no remote start. Is there no aftermarket alarm system that can be added to defeat these kinds of thefts?

Have you looked into the Viper systems, I believe they have a failsafe kill switch with a remote start. The kill switch prevents the starter from cranking.

If you want a better answer than a random guy on the forums, or Google, the owner of Unexpected Creations in NJ is awesome. I am not affiliated or anything, just a long time happy customer.

 
I was under the impression if they could not pic up your key fob signal and copy it. If you were gone how the hell did they program the truck🤔
 
I was under the impression if they could not pic up your key fob signal and copy it. If you were gone how the hell did they program the truck🤔
I'm certainly no expert on mopar thefts, but it seems like the repeaters/fake key fob is the theft method of choice where they can get in your truck and be gone in 30 seconds. There's another method where they break in, and access the computer, or completely replace the brains of the system, but it takes longer. Then there's the break in, put it in neutral using the manual neutral release and tow it away problem. I don't know what the solution to all of these methods are. I may live in the country, but my trx will sit outside, so I count on doing something.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ALJ
I'm certainly no expert on mopar thefts, but it seems like the repeaters/fake key fob is the theft method of choice where they can get in your truck and be gone in 30 seconds. There's another method where they break in, and access the computer, or completely replace the brains of the system, but it takes longer. Then there's the break in, put it in neutral using the manual neutral release and tow it away problem. I don't know what the solution to all of these methods are. I may live in the country, but my trx will sit outside, so I count on doing something.
Ya the fob box i know they need to pic up the signal to copy and retransmit. I keep my keys in a Faraday pouch to avoid that at-home or out and about.
 
Ya the fob box i know they need to pic up the signal to copy and retransmit. I keep my keys in a Faraday pouch to avoid that at-home or out and about.
Thanks to this forum, I now keep all spares and tesla key cards in a faraday box at home, and have the pouches for my current ram and corvette which have the proximity access and push button start.
 
Okay, I'm no car tech expert but I keep having to make two-factor authentication setups at work and on the web. Is there something that the Tazar DT can add so you have to have the key and a PIN? Just trying to think ahead of the dirt bags that do this...

Also, I'm more of a fan that disables the vehicle than tracks it. Because as soon as they have access or if they know you are following them, they 'drive it like they stole it' and you usually end of with pieces of the truck in return.
 
Last edited:
so sorry. hope you get a resolution soon. Hard to stay away from the TRX.
 
Got the dreaded call from the Airport police the other day while I was out on travel. My TRX along with another travelers Trackhawk were stolen out of the daily parking garage. Thieves scouted the parking lot the night before - came back the next morning around 1030, used a programmer and stole my TRX then went to the lower level and stole the Trackhawk, and off they went. They were in the garage a total of 14 minutes. The Trackhawk owner came back first and reported his stolen that evening - which triggered the Police to review the video, then they found mine was actually taken first. Being that we are only 5 hours from Miami - I am sure both vehicles were in a container - on their way to Ghana by dinner....

Thieves had no worries or concern about the time or place. I was parked close to the elevators on the main terminal level... Didn't matter....

So now I wait..
Do you know what type of programmer they used? Normally they would try to pick up the signal from the key, I’m assuming that you have the key with you, so how did they start it? Do you know if it was a computer they had with them or the small box that they put above the driver door on the roof? TIA
 
These animals immediately rip off your rear view mirror and dispose of it. A lot of the tracking info is located in there. We do a lot of theft recoveries at work and 7/10 times on the mopar vehicles they rip it off and tear the small wiring harness to the mirror.

They stole my grand Cherokee overland from valet once. 750 miles on her and 3 weeks old! found it 33 days later after I had gotten my new truck

Good luck hopefully insurance takes car of you!
 

Attachments

  • PNG image.webp
    PNG image.webp
    52.5 KB · Views: 77

TRX Forum Favs 👍

Back
Top