RAVELCO THREAD

I think this is the best solution out there. I just wish it wasn't so damn ugly. Why couldn't they revise the looks with a slimmer profile and plug. My only hesitation up till now is the looks of this thing. Carrying around that cap/plug in my pocket and having Frankenstein's bolt mounted to my dash is detracting. I don't think they changed the look of this device since 1976 when they first came out with it. I bet their profits would increase bigly if they did a redesign and caught up to the times. I know part of the lore is "if the bad guy can see it, they will just leave it alone", but I think that might be a small percentage. At least slim down the plug so it doesn't look like you are walking around with a micro-chub in your pocket. :ROFLMAO:
Ordered.


1641844489279.webp
 
Gotcha, one of those states. Makes sense on tint. Looks like no dealers in your state either. Would be good for a dealer to partner with you given your volume amd install before we pick up.

Ravelco Midwest appears to be the closest at 3 hours away.
Zach, I called them and gave them your info. They arent registered in Iowa, but if he can make something happen and install at your location before we all pick up that would be great
 
At least slim down the plug so it doesn't look like you are walking around with a micro-chub in your pocket. :ROFLMAO:
Ordered.

Hey, you need ...something... to fill out your pants in that area.. :ROFLMAO:

The cap doesn't look too big, perhaps paint everything black if that would work. Completely agree, I'm too old to have a lot of shit to carry around. My keychain consists of exactly 1 key for my house, TRX fob, and 2 other things. Less is more...

.
 
In process of getting mine set up for the end of the month. The Ravelco guy is just coming to my house to do it. I’m glad I don’t have to travel for it.

Yep, he's coming to my house as well and will be doing the install outside under a carport awning. It will be in the 40s here and he has a propane heater. My garage is full with the good cars and I have cars on both lifts and unfortunately no room in the garage for the truck..... In speaking with him, I sensed that he's pretty much seen it all and will deal with it.

.
 
I just think to myself a few inches lower and it would be installed on an easily replaceable piece of plastic.
I like the placement where it is at. It wont knock your knee and it is easily accessible so you don't have to fumble too much while installing the cap. And for resale purposes, the piece where it is installed isn't too hard to replace either.
 
That is the best looking one by far. And nice mounting spot. Does the key swing from the cap while driving annoy you much?
I am 6 foot tall and the key never hits my leg when driving or getting in/out. I really don’t even notice it now after having it for about a month. Actually, I had to train myself to grab it before getting out. I have left it there a couple times after parking, get out and go to lock the door with the remote and realize I left the plug in.
The installer here in South Florida suggested the location to mount it and said he had done a bunch of other TRX’s in the past few months, even one for a cop in Miami the morning before he did mine. I was worried he would mess up the leather but he uses a cutter that attaches to a drill and works perfect for that material. I plasti dipped (spray can) the separate pieces before he installed them so I didn’t have to spray in the truck and have to tape everything off. Just make sure not to spray the area on the receptacle where the plug slides in. It is a snug fit and if you spray there it might not slide in or peel pieces of plastic into the pin.
 
That is the best looking one by far. And nice mounting spot. Does the key swing from the cap while driving annoy you much?
Key is heavy enough it doesn’t really swing much on paved roads. I am sure it would swing a bit more on some rougher terrain but you could easily take it off the ring,
 
jbear, I posted in your other thread, thoughts of mounting it in the rounded void area just below and to the right of yours? thanks
 
I might hook up the plug to my faraday pouch, that way you take the key out of the pouch, open the truck, hook the plug into the hub and the pouch will hang but might not bother being its so light.

When you exit, pull the plug out, lock the truck and throw the key in the pouch.
The plug won't let them take the truck but remember less skilled thieves can still open the doors with repeat boxes and take anything you might have in there....
 
jbear, I posted in your other thread, thoughts of mounting it in the rounded void area just below and to the right of yours? thanks
For me, any lower and the key would hit my knee on the chain, but my installer showed me a bunch of options. If they are good, they can put it just about anywhere. The piece where I mounted mine just pops off in a second and the wires can be run straight back through the firewall to the engine.
 
How does this mess with the wiring and stuff? Is there a ton of internal mechanical work that needs to be done? Can it easily be taken off if I wanted to? Is there any wire cutting or replacement that happens with this installation? Sorry if these questions were already answered
 
How does this mess with the wiring and stuff? Is there a ton of internal mechanical work that needs to be done? Can it easily be taken off if I wanted to? Is there any wire cutting or replacement that happens with this installation? Sorry if these questions were already answered
By definition it will be a pain in the ass to remove. If it was easy to defeat/remove, then it wouldn’t be a very good security system, would it?
 
By definition it will be a pain in the ass to remove. If it was easy to defeat/remove, then it wouldn’t be a very good security system, would it?
I understand. Just want to see if I ever wanted to put back to stock.
 

TRX Forum Favs 👍

Back
Top