Break-in Period

Can’t wait to record my dealer lot launch in my new truck when it comes in with 2 miles on the dash. Slapping the rev limiter until the governed top speed on the way home, hahahaha I’m just poking the bee’s nest now. Hey everyone can do whatever they want to break in there truck, that’s what’s great because it’s your personal vehicle, you decide the faith in it. Thought I’d share my point so some people don’t feel so bad that they floored it before 500 miles 🤭. I pray for years of reliability and fun for all of you with your new trucks!!! No matter what side of the argument you’re on.

Can’t wait to record my dealer lot launch in my new truck when it comes in with 2 miles on the dash. Slapping the rev limiter until the governed top speed on the way home, hahahaha I’m just poking the bee’s nest now. Hey everyone can do whatever they want to break in there truck, that’s what’s great because it’s your personal vehicle, you decide the faith in it. Thought I’d share my point so some people don’t feel so bad that they floored it before 500 miles 🤭. I pray for years of reliability and fun for all of you with your new trucks!!! No matter what side of the argument you’re on.

There is a clear difference between beating a new truck and driving semi-decently lol. I don't plan to follow the book down to the mileage, speed limits, revs, etc... but I'm not going to try blowing the motor in the first 100 miles either. It will have good accelerations within the first 100 miles, guaranteed. I didn't buy this truck to save it for the next guy, who may want to keep it for two decades without issue.

Hey, I waited 4 months for the truck. Wasn’t big deal to wait another week to open it up. I still thoroughly enjoyed the 500-ish break-in miles. Enjoyed changing the oils too. Something to be said for knowing what you have and putting your fingerprints on it right away. I may keep it forever, may keep it for 6 months. Has no bearing on how I treat anything.

i was a dodge tech for 30 years and watched pre delivery burn outs and hot rodding,no telling what stuff happens at factory and delivery,i dont baby new vehicles and dont drag race but they definitely see higher rpm and road speed,i change oil at 600-1000 miles then go to 3,000 intervals,never had a problem.

I’m gonna find somebody here in town that’s got a four wheel dyno and see if I can just sit it on top those rollers, strap it down and bring it up to 55 miles an hour and let it run till I hit 100 miles.

after the first 100 miles it’s pretty easy to stay within parameters

Well...........here is a bit more info to understand before using that type of "break in" approach. The computer in your TRX is recording EVERYTHING, all your RPM and speed during break in and after. So, if you dont follow the break in and you have an issue, they could simply say NOPE: Owner abuse and you have ZERO warranty.
Here is how I know.
Brand new 2019 Hellcat RE, I followed the break in to a T and then some, and documented all my oil changes using SRT oil and Mopar filters. I traded it on my TRX, and the dealership sold it the same day. The new owner took it to the track and ran the living shit out of it, until it went into reduced power due to overheating. Instead of doing a cool down, the guy turned it off. Pistons seized to the cylinders and locked the motor, motor is trash. The new owner takes it to the Dodge dealer saying it just stopped running. The techs plug it in to the computer and see the RPM, speed and overheat recorded in the history (performance pages). They call the owner and say he caused the damage and there is NO WARRANTY and the new engine will be $30,000, he replies its was (me) the prior owner who abused it. They tell him, NOPE we can see in the computer that the first owner broke it in properly and did not abuse the car. Just when you think, no one is watching..........someone IS watching. FYI.
i heard a lot of dealers don't even tell you abt the engine break-in. so if i was not told at the dealership, does it make the warranty still valid?

So when it says shifting manually, doesn't it want you to go right up against the rev limiter? 🤔

Does anyone know during the break in period are we supposed to keep the driving mode to normal or is it good to switch between sport, baja etc?

I remember an old school muscle car guy preaching the merits of multiple LOW SPEED figure 8's in BOTH direction to break in the transmission/diff...anyone else hear of this?

Reactions: Two
Does anyone know during the break in period are we supposed to keep the driving mode to normal or is it good to switch between sport, baja etc?
It doesn't address modes in the breakin instructions. It's more about speed and rpm's that are the concern. Engaging the 4 x 4 system is not a bad idea, you have to use it eventually.

What's to be lost by following the break-in instructions vs. flogging it out of the gate? 2 hours initially and another 6-8 after that of incrementally less conservative driving? For a vehicle with an $80-100k price tag, that doesn't seem like a huge price to pay. I know cost is relative, so $80-100k has varying levels of significance for each person but it's hard for me to understand why exercising a little (more) patience is such a big deal for someone who likely waited 3-6 months for the vehicle. $.02

What's to be lost by following the break-in instructions vs. flogging it out of the gate? 2 hours initially and another 6-8 after that of incrementally less conservative driving? For a vehicle with an $80-100k price tag, that doesn't seem like a huge price to pay. I know cost is relative, so $80-100k has varying levels of significance for each person but it's hard for me to understand why exercising a little (more) patience is such a big deal for someone who likely waited 3-6 months for the vehicle. $.02
Couldn’t agree with you more and well said!

Drive it like you stole it. Its under warranty, if something is going to fail, you want it to fail now. I've flogged every car I've ever owned. From Ford Exploders to NFGT's. Especially with what I am already seeing, I want it to fail fast if its going to fail, and get it fixed while I have warranty cover. These are recommendations, they aren't thal shall and thal shal not's.
Have at it big boy! But when you drive like you stole out of your dealers parking lot, and at some point you have some kind of catastrophic failure and then you have it towed to the dealer to get it fixed and then the mechanic downloads computer information and finds out that you have voided your warranty by not following the break in instructions that you signed up for and I promise you, it’s in the bill sale your going to be pissed and broke.

Let us know how all that turns out 😳

I followed the break in period thanks to this forum and my 1100 miles trip from the dealer to my house, no launches yet or off roading until I learn this vehicle proportions, hard brake reaction and roll behavior during heavy cornering.

Then, I will drive it like stolen and get the maximum of it. Will I stay with it for 5 years or more?? I don’t know, still I will get the extended warranty and comply with recommended maintenance.

All my vehicles have been treated this way, never had an engine die on me or a warranty declined, I guess the drive it like you stole it has a different meaning depending on the owner and experience.

Last edited:
I’ve thought about that too, for instance Hyundai elantras say don’t drive over 55mph and vary the rpm’s. They give some good advice on varying the rpm’s and not hold the car on cruise control, but the 55mph thing makes absolutely zero sense. Nothing on a new vehicle requires being broken in by low speeds, again I think it’s just another legal thing to prevent people from leaving the dealerships and doing 110mph down the highway, crashing, and blaming the manufacturers for not telling them how to drive it initially. All modern vehicles are capable of high rates of speeds and as long as you have a drivers license, you can jump in anything with a vin number.
I'd tend to agree with you here. There is nothing that I can possibly think of that would require a vehicle being driven at 55mph instead of 65 mph. I am in agreement with people saying that driving the piss out of it is not a good idea and I do not do that with my cars or toys but 55mph? Give me a break, no I am not going 10mph below the speed limit on the highway.

There is nothing that I can possibly think of that would require a vehicle being driven at 55mph instead of 65 mph.

Give me a break, no I am not going 10mph below the speed limit on the highway.
It seems like the people actually making those cars did think of a reason to keep it at or below 55 mph.

Nowhere in any break-in instructions have I ever seen that break-in must be performed on highways.

It seems like the people actually making those cars did think of a reason to keep it at or below 55 mph.

Nowhere in any break-in instructions have I ever seen that break-in must be performed on highways.
Lol true but for me theres really no other option. To each their own but when I get mine I will not be sticking to 55mph on the highway home.

Read up on correct axle gear break-in and you may look at it all differently.
Once you're past those important first 100 miles you can revert to what the manual suggests.

Or not. It's your car.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back