🔥 Where my Colorado (and surrounding area) peeps at? 🔥

UPDATE:
  • Departure date: 7/17-7/19
  • Then 2-3 days of travel.
  • Then find our 1st base camp somewhere near the alpine loop.
  • Explore the San Juans and surrounding areas for about 10 days

We still need to put our trail list together but here's a few of the ones we're def going to hit:
  • Imogene Pass (Jeep BOH)
  • Engineer Pass (Jeep BOH)
  • Ophir Pass (Jeep BOH)
  • Poughkeepsie Gulch (Jeep BOH)
  • Mineral Creek/Pass
Are you planning on camping or hotel? If you haven’t booked a place to sleep I would look now. They generally fill up
 
Wow that is a busy week for me. I will try to join the team here and there. I just rode 160 miles of this stuff yesterday on the moto and it’s really good right now. Our loop was Silverton-Ridgeway via Engineer pass. Then some epic singletrack (NateCreek, to Alpine trail into Lake City) then Cinnamin Pass to Pole Creek back to Silverton.There are a few more relatively off the radar single track trails mixed in here. Took us 8 hrs. We were 4 experienced riders and we got the KOM on the 100+ switchbacks up Alpine trail. All of the 4X4 roads we touched on were good.

Then Imogene should be ready as well but any trail that is passing through wooded areas can always have down trees. Poughkeepsie will be the most challenging trail of the bunch. Engineer will be super tight in places for our rigs if you have oncoming traffic. Mostly at the beginning from Hwy 550.

I would definitely recommend a chainsaw or two. And watch the fire status. 3 fires popped up yesterday along with the massive fire that’s been going on in Utah all week. Skies were clear all day until the end as we rode back into Silverton.
 
Oh and I forgot about this fire as one of us was driving back home through Ouray last
 
Are you planning on camping or hotel? If you haven’t booked a place to sleep I would look now. They generally fill up
Little overland trailer build with roof tent. BUT I think we may to crash in a local motel for at least 1 night. It would be in the Lake City or gunnison area. I hear Gunnison usually has some vacancy ....that true?
 
Wow that is a busy week for me. I will try to join the team here and there. I just rode 160 miles of this stuff yesterday on the moto and it’s really good right now. Our loop was Silverton-Ridgeway via Engineer pass. Then some epic singletrack (NateCreek, to Alpine trail into Lake City) then Cinnamin Pass to Pole Creek back to Silverton.There are a few more relatively off the radar single track trails mixed in here. Took us 8 hrs. We were 4 experienced riders and we got the KOM on the 100+ switchbacks up Alpine trail. All of the 4X4 roads we touched on were good.

Then Imogene should be ready as well but any trail that is passing through wooded areas can always have down trees. Poughkeepsie will be the most challenging trail of the bunch. Engineer will be super tight in places for our rigs if you have oncoming traffic. Mostly at the beginning from Hwy 550.

I would definitely recommend a chainsaw or two. And watch the fire status. 3 fires popped up yesterday along with the massive fire that’s been going on in Utah all week. Skies were clear all day until the end as we rode back into Silverton.
Great tip! We always carry a chainsaw on board with us!
 
Little overland trailer build with roof tent. BUT I think we may to crash in a local motel for at least 1 night. It would be in the Lake City or gunnison area. I hear Gunnison usually has some vacancy ....that true?
Lake city is generally a little tighter just because it’s right at the trail head. Gunnison you should be fine.

Going off of what people have said here. I haven’t booked there.
 
Yes Gunnison would be easy to get a room. Lake City is small and crowded.

The Alpine loop doesn’t go thru Gunnison though. FYI
 
Yes Gunnison would be easy to get a room. Lake City is small and crowded.

The Alpine loop doesn’t go thru Gunnison though. FYI
Haha yea i know there'll be an hour or so of driving when we get out at lake city
 
TRIP UPDATE: These are the days we'll be wheeling & exploring the Ouray and surrounding areas: 7/22 - 7/31

I'm not sure which trail we'll be doing on which day yet as there are a lot of factors (including the active fires in that area) but the fun will be had during that window of time.

Next up is to pin down a few basecamps (fire and vacancy permitting) & then pin down the trails we plan to do. Then work on routes to/from our desired basecamp. Super pumped!
 
Assuming we're not on fire, are you guys still interested in tagging along? And if so, which dates (7/22 - 7/30) are you guys thinking of meeting up with us?

@alexac9
@Futant
@MurderedCat
Unfortunately I won't make it. Wife planned a Disney World trip without telling me until this week. We will be in Florida the 25th through the 30th.
 
Unfortunately I won't make it. Wife planned a Disney World trip without telling me until this week. We will be in Florida the 25th through the 30th.
dang! we're headed to you and ur headed to us haha.
 
Trying to see if I can make it maybe 24-26? Will know more soon.
Do it man! Let me know ASAP and lemme know what kinda trails you wanna do so I can save em for the days you'll be with us. We've got quite a few shelf roads in the lineup as well as some easier, more relaxing low key trails
 
TRIP UPDATE: These are the days we'll be wheeling & exploring the Ouray and surrounding areas: 7/22 - 7/31

I'm not sure which trail we'll be doing on which day yet as there are a lot of factors (including the active fires in that area) but the fun will be had during that window of time.

Next up is to pin down a few basecamps (fire and vacancy permitting) & then pin down the trails we plan to do. Then work on routes to/from our desired basecamp. Super pumped!
@FULLTHROTTLERICK
These dates work much better for me. I end my Colorado contract July 19 and don't start in Alaska until Aug 24. I will come meet up for a few days. Have you got an itinerary put together yet or just winging it once you get out here? I know you guys are camping, are you sticking around the Ouray area? If so I will get a place booked in Ouray or nearby.
 
@FULLTHROTTLERICK
These dates work much better for me. I end my Colorado contract July 19 and don't start in Alaska until Aug 24. I will come meet up for a few days. Have you got an itinerary put together yet or just winging it once you get out here? I know you guys are camping, are you sticking around the Ouray area? If so I will get a place booked in Ouray or nearby.
oh hell yea bro! So the itinerary is still being worked on but our plan is to basecamp just outside Ouray (fires permitting). We've got 2-3 spots in the Ouray area to choose from. Last resort is to find a random spot off Corkscrew gulch to setup camp. And LAST LAST resort is a spot closer to Silverton but that's only about 45 mins away from Ouray so no biggie.

In short = our Top 3-4 campsites are close to Ouray. Only way we wont be at 1 of those is if the fire is engulfing them or they're wall to wall with campers
 

TRX Forum Favs 👍

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com Forced Induction Interchillers RealTruck.com Ourisman Cars M&R Automotive
Back
Top