🔥 Where my Colorado (and surrounding area) peeps at? 🔥

@FULLTHROTTLERICK do you run chase lights and have a two way radio when you do trail runs? I’m working on the second phase of my trucks life and how I want to use it the next 50,000 miles, and I want to make sure I’m set for both solo and group runs.
 
Clicking on this thread made my insurance rate go up. Sounds fun but I think I should pass 🚫.
3z3Z90.gif
 
This is my backyard. Are you all planning to do it in one day? It is doable but long. Nothing on the loop is beyond the trucks capability. But there is plenty of opportunity to challenge yourself.
No sir. The plan would be to spend a few days doing the loop and any bonus trails if the group is feeling frisky, e..g, black bear/etc. You interested in coming along and/or leading the group?
 
After seeing this, you may be right!

😂 😂 That rock garden obstacle course is way more gnarly than the alpine loop. The loop is more scenic than obstacle-challenging.

Now if you guys wanted to give Colorado's hardest Jeep badge of honor "Holy Cross" a try...that would be a totally different story!
 
@FULLTHROTTLERICK do you run chase lights and have a two way radio when you do trail runs? I’m working on the second phase of my trucks life and how I want to use it the next 50,000 miles, and I want to make sure I’m set for both solo and group runs.
I do run chase lights but only on the high speed runs. The slow, crawly stuff is too slow to need em. But yes we all carry hand-helds (the good kind) but nothing hard-wired or anything crazy like that.
 
No sir. The plan would be to spend a few days doing the loop and any bonus trails if the group is feeling frisky, e..g, black bear/etc. You interested in coming along and/or leading the group?
Well, I was a guide for Land Rover many yrs ago. I have guided all these trails. I would not take a group of TRX’s on Black Bear.
 
We're taking the sxs's up there and doing the alpine loop a few weeks after you'll be there. We're staying in Ouray, been told that's the best place to stay for the alpine loop. My buddy sent me a map and some good info on the trails, will try to post it up as soon as I can. I've heard the shelf roads are too tight for a fullsize truck. I'm towing ours with the TRX so if it's not as bad as they say I'll run a few trails in the TRX too. I'd suggest booking your lodging asap if you are doing the alpine loop, area has gotten really popular and not a lot of places to stay especially if you have a trailer.
 
Well, I was a guide for Land Rover many yrs ago. I have guided all these trails. I would not take a group of TRX’s on Black Bear.

We're taking the sxs's up there and doing the alpine loop a few weeks after you'll be there. We're staying in Ouray, been told that's the best place to stay for the alpine loop. My buddy sent me a map and some good info on the trails, will try to post it up as soon as I can. I've heard the shelf roads are too tight for a fullsize truck. I'm towing ours with the TRX so if it's not as bad as they say I'll run a few trails in the TRX too. I'd suggest booking your lodging asap if you are doing the alpine loop, area has gotten really popular and not a lot of places to stay especially if you have a trailer.
Silverton is even closer than Ouray. Lots of places to park trailers.
 
Silverton is even closer than Ouray. Lots of places to park trailers.
Yeah, but there not much there in comparison to Ouray from my memory. Used to ski there a lot but seem to remember there were not many places to eat/bars etc, unless things have changed since then. Fine with me but knowing my wife is going, it would not be an enjoyable experience for her (or me) if so lol
 
Last edited:
We're taking the sxs's up there and doing the alpine loop a few weeks after you'll be there. We're staying in Ouray, been told that's the best place to stay for the alpine loop. My buddy sent me a map and some good info on the trails, will try to post it up as soon as I can. I've heard the shelf roads are too tight for a fullsize truck. I'm towing ours with the TRX so if it's not as bad as they say I'll run a few trails in the TRX too. I'd suggest booking your lodging asap if you are doing the alpine loop, area has gotten really popular and not a lot of places to stay especially if you have a trailer.
We'd be dispersed camping with tents or our offroad trailer build-out. Dont think u can book those in advance (at least not 2 years ago when we did it). I've seen a Rex & Powerwagon run all the Alpine loop trails (except blackbear) so i know it can be done
 
We'd be dispersed camping with tents or our offroad trailer build-out. Dont think u can book those in advance (at least not 2 years ago when we did it). I've seen a Rex & Powerwagon run all the Alpine loop trails (except blackbear) so i know it can be done
Wish my wife would go for that, would be my preference actually. Not to mention they are really proud of the VRBO's in that area, couldn't believe how expensive they were. I'm sure you can do those trails if others have done them in fullsize trucks, just trying to keep my truck in one piece. LOL I like your idea of tying in Moab on the same trip, might as well if you are driving all that way from FL already!
 
Depending on when this actually happens, I wouldn't mind taking out the 5-month old g wagon aka GX (identifies as my old TRX) 😅
 
Wish my wife would go for that, would be my preference actually. Not to mention they are really proud of the VRBO's in that area, couldn't believe how expensive they were. I'm sure you can do those trails if others have done them in fullsize trucks, just trying to keep my truck in one piece. LOL I like your idea of tying in Moab on the same trip, might as well if you are driving all that way from FL already!
yea normally i'd go for harder trails but since we'll have over 2000 miles to get home once it's all said & done, we'd like to also keep our truck in 1 piece lol!
 
Small update as i try to pin down the date range a bit more. Trip window is now: 7/17 - 8/2
 
UPDATE:
  • Departure date: 7/17-7/19
  • Then 2-3 days of travel.
  • Then find our 1st base camp somewhere near the alpine loop.
  • Explore the San Juans and surrounding areas for about 10 days

We still need to put our trail list together but here's a few of the ones we're def going to hit:
  • Imogene Pass (Jeep BOH)
  • Engineer Pass (Jeep BOH)
  • Ophir Pass (Jeep BOH)
  • Poughkeepsie Gulch (Jeep BOH)
  • Mineral Creek/Pass
 

TRX Forum Favs 👍

Back
Top