Transmission shift from 1st to 2nd

areentrx

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 Ram TRX
I have experience than at least four or five occasions especially when engine still relatively cold A weird hesitation or grinding as the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. It is also accompanied by a grinding sound. Anyone know what this is about?

Doesn't sound good. Could be the gears grinding. I'd schedule an appointment to have it looked at

Dealer visit for sure. Slow shift when cold is one thing, grinding noise is BAD!
The Great Carnac says: "I see a new transmission in your future."

Dealer visit for sure. Slow shift when cold is one thing, grinding noise is BAD!
The Great Carnac says: "I see a new transmission in your future."
does a slow shift come with a weird sound? I feel like there’s a sound almost like a whine before it goes into second. But that only happens when cold. Other than that shifts are buttery smooth

does a slow shift come with a weird sound? I feel like there’s a sound almost like a whine before it goes into second. But that only happens when cold. Other than that shifts are buttery smooth
Whine sounds like a possible torque converter issue. Have them check the fluid level in the trans. Mine was making noises and was low on fluid. I’m still experiencing some subtle strange sounds from mine in park / neutral when the truck is fully warmed up. The noises have been isolated to the bell housing area. There’s also an intermittent gear noise in mine when I first start out slowly in 1st gear from a stop. It’s going back in again in a few weeks.

I have experience than at least four or five occasions especially when engine still relatively cold A weird hesitation or grinding as the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. It is also accompanied by a grinding sound. Anyone know what this is about?
I’ve got the same thing. Took to the dealer and they couldn’t replicate it. But it’s definitely happened since.

I’ve got the same thing. Took to the dealer and they couldn’t replicate it. But it’s definitely happened since.
Have them check your trans fluid level. Fluid fills on these trucks have been less than stellar (mine included). This trans is very sensitive to the correct amount of fluid. The process to check it is fairly involved and the truck must be cold (left all day or overnight).

Have them check your trans fluid level. Fluid fills on these trucks have been less than stellar (mine included). This trans is very sensitive to the correct amount of fluid. The process to check it is fairly involved and the truck must be cold (left all day or overnight).
Will do! If that’s low, at this point I’ll want them to tear that thing open and make sure nothing has ground down as well.

Will do! If that’s low, at this point I’ll want them to tear that thing open and make sure nothing has ground down as well.
They won’t tear it open. It’s not a serviceable part.

Only part they usually replace is the valve body. Other than that it’s not worth their time to mess with it.

Anyone make any progress with the dealer on this? This past visit I've been told that they thought they heard the noise, but RAM is telling them there's nothing to worry about essentially and regarding fluids, etc... "everything is where it should be"....

Sometimes, when cold a trans will shift slow or kinda hang onto the gear before up shifting.
The whine might be the pump / damaged pump.

Ah, I forgot. These things are sealed, aren’t they?
People call the trans "sealed" because technically there is no dipstick - filler tube. However, you can check the fluid level (temps have to be spot on) and the fluid and filter can be changed. The trans can also be torn down and rebuilt. So, technically not "sealed" and can be serviced. Most dealerships are not set up to rebuild transmissions and under warranty, they just swap them out.

Last edited:
People call the trans "sealed" because technically there is no dipstick - filler tube. However, you can check the fluid level (temps have to be spot on) and the fluid and filter can be changed. The trans can also be torn down and rebuilt. So, technically not "sealed" and can be serviced. Most dealerships are not set up to rebuild transmissions and under warranty, they just swap them out.

Yes they’re not authorized to tear into them because most dealers don’t have specific transmission techs and tearing into them isn’t worth the time. It takes far less time to swap one out than to tear one apart and rebuild it. Time is $$$.

Yes they’re not authorized to tear into them because most dealers don’t have specific transmission techs and tearing into them isn’t worth the time. It takes far less time to swap one out than to tear one apart and rebuild it. Time is $$$.
100% and dealerships don't want the comebacks associated with something as complex as a trans rebuild!

Any updates on this issue? I noticed my 22 has started to do pretty much the same thing, and the dealership can't replicate it ....

Check here:

Check here:

Thanks! That's got more info than I've been able to find anywhere else. Appreciate it!

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back