TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram TRX, Grand Cherokee Limited X, Harley CVO Street Glide, Honda Talon
Military
NAVY
From Detroit Free Press article:
Not everyone is ready to rely solely on battery power.

So Ram Trucks is offering a solution of sorts. Just don’t call it a hybrid, according to the folks at Ram.

The 2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger is supposed to be the pickup for truck customers who don't want to worry about range issues on longer trips but still like the idea of what an electric vehicle can do.

The Ramcharger combines a 92 kilowatt-hour battery pack with an onboard 130 kilowatt generator powered by a 3.6-liter Pentastar V6, according to the company. The upshot is a targeted 690 miles of range in a truck that promises 663 horsepower and 615 pound-feet of torque while it manages a 0-60 mph time of 4.4 seconds and towing of up 14,000 pounds.

So Ram Trucks is offering a solution of sorts. Just don’t call it a hybrid, according to the folks at Ram.

The 2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger is supposed to be the pickup for truck customers who don't want to worry about range issues on longer trips but still like the idea of what an electric vehicle can do.

The Ramcharger combines a 92 kilowatt-hour battery pack with an onboard 130 kilowatt generator powered by a 3.6-liter Pentastar V6, according to the company. The upshot is a targeted 690 miles of range in a truck that promises 663 horsepower and 615 pound-feet of torque while it manages a 0-60 mph time of 4.4 seconds and towing of up 14,000 pounds.
Sounds cool. If I didn’t love the hellcat so much I would look at this.

Let’s not forget the boys of top gear came up with that design well before the big 3 did !! They started out pure electric then wanted more range so they put a diesel generator in it.

Attachments

• IMG_3205.jpeg
    IMG_3205.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 42
I've given some thought as to what my next truck might be when the TRX runs out of warranty. I'd like to keep the TRX as a fun truck, and have a daily driver with a little more range. This could be a good option to go with the TRX, but it's not a replacement for me.

It’s an interesting compromise. Still not for me, but I wonder if the v6 can adequately drive the car when the batteries die. That extra battery weight, taxes an already taxed engine.

It’s an interesting compromise. Still not for me, but I wonder if the v6 can adequately drive the car when the batteries die. That extra battery weight, taxes an already taxed engine.
If this is setup the way they are wording it, then no the v6 is not a drive engine.
The v6 kicks on to recharge the batteries and that’s it. You top off the gas to your “generator” and keep driving. Never having to do long stops at a battery charging station.
You could in theory almost never have the v6 turn on depending on how long your regular commute is as well. Or it may have some timer that says it needs to turn on every so often to get things moving.

All the V6 does is act as a generator. If it’s a 130kwh generator then it really only needs to run at half output to keep the battery charged when towing and 1/4 output for normal driving. Most of the time it would never have to run and you could just charge at home for cheap but not have the worry about range or long trips and broken chargers.

If this is setup the way they are wording it, then no the v6 is not a drive engine.
The v6 kicks on to recharge the batteries and that’s it. You top off the gas to your “generator” and keep driving. Never having to do long stops at a battery charging station.
You could in theory almost never have the v6 turn on depending on how long your regular commute is as well. Or it may have some timer that says it needs to turn on every so often to get things moving.
Yea wasn’t sure. If they mean generator how you
Perceived it makes sense. I kinda read it both ways. Because I’ve seen other brands call an engine a generator when it’s not “driving the vehicle”

Is that the new thing? It’s not an engine anymore. EVs that you don’t have to bring your own generator because there’s one in the hood? LOL

I guess the guys towing their teslas with their RVs while having a small generator charge it, are in for a new revision

I wonder what the weight difference is. I look forward to more information over the next 9 months.

Yea wasn’t sure. If they mean generator how you
Perceived it makes sense. I kinda read it both ways. Because I’ve seen other brands call an engine a generator when it’s not “driving the vehicle”

Is that the new thing? It’s not an engine anymore. EVs that you don’t have to bring your own generator because there’s one in the hood? LOL

I guess the guys towing their teslas with their RVs while having a small generator charge it, are in for a new revision
The funny thing is that the dumb looking vehicle i posted from top gear, I honestly think that was the first car that utilized an on board generator, that episode was around 2009 ish.

Not yet available in the US, but available in Europe, Porsche has a Cayenne with the same hybrid system, but with a V8 engine and a combined output of 739 hp. That would be nice for the next TRX

I am being told RAM beat FORD and GM to market with this?? A PHEV pickup??

I would definitely like to see what a V8, with is setup, would/could accomplish. If/when the bugs are all worked out, this may just keep Ram in the “driver’s seat” in this truck competition. I would like to see, in person, what that 14.5” screen actually looks like.

Speculation is that the ramcharger would get around 20 mpg equivalent with the “hybrid” system, which with the torque and power combined with range would still be impressive. But I wonder when the battery cells get down to almost depletion if there will be a sizable power cut (especially towing) if the generator is not primarily charging but instead providing mainly power to electric drive system to deliver those stout power numbers. Time will tell.

Speculation is that the ramcharger would get around 20 mpg equivalent with the “hybrid” system, which with the torque and power combined with range would still be impressive. But I wonder when the battery cells get down to almost depletion if there will be a sizable power cut (especially towing) if the generator is not primarily charging but instead providing mainly power to electric drive system to deliver those stout power numbers. Time will tell.

It shouldn’t make a difference on power output. When towing the truck should get about 1mi/kWh. The generator can output 130kw continuous and 190kw peak. The generator is supposed to kick in at 20% battery charge. In other words, when at continuous rated output the generator will power the motors fully while towing and get close to recharging the battery from 20% to 100% in an hour of driving. In a lossless system that’s 130kwh generated, 60kwh used for drive motors, 70kwh put into the battery charging the battery from 18kwh (20%) to 88kwh (98%).

Reactions: JTR
I’m curious if the engine could charge the battery while parked. Stop for some lunch and have it top off the battery while away.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back