Start Button Kill Switch Harness

DIN0ZR

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
Military
USMC
@maestro5531 do you think there will be any issues with extending the switch wires? Thinking of putting the switch somewhere in the console. It's 20 AWG correct?
If you're willing to go to the trouble of getting the console out of the truck, there are some *perfect* spots where a switch would be both invisible and super easy for driver to access quickly. I have not yet been willing to go through the pain of getting it out though.

TRX_SAV

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
21' TRX
If you're willing to go to the trouble of getting the console out of the truck, there are some *perfect* spots where a switch would be both invisible and super easy for driver to access quickly. I have not yet been willing to go through the pain of getting it out though.
I'm thinking side pockets, maybe center console with a console safe installed. Shoot some ideas, I'm open to suggestions. I just don't like the idea of it right under the steering column.

Yreka_Kid

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 1500 TRX - Black L2
I'm thinking side pockets, maybe center console with a console safe installed. Shoot some ideas, I'm open to suggestions. I just don't like the idea of it right under the steering column.

You could do some interesting things with reed switches and magnets hidden in regular trim pieces, like the removable rubber mats in the console/dash cubbies. Might even do it so it fails closed (Normally has continuity, then adding the magnet breaks the connection) so it doesn't leave you stranded if the switch fails.

OP
OP
maestro5531

maestro5531

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
You could do some interesting things with reed switches and magnets hidden in regular trim pieces, like the removable rubber mats in the console/dash cubbies. Might even do it so it fails closed (Normally has continuity, then adding the magnet breaks the connection) so it doesn't leave you stranded if the switch fails.

I started looking into this along with a magnet that I could attach to my keyring. Normally closed is a good idea too in case it fails

MAlogna

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2009 Dodge Ram 1500
I started looking into this along with a magnet that I could attach to my keyring. Normally closed is a good idea too in case it fails

Would like to be put on your list if you are still making these switches. My truck is still in order, but it would be great to have once it gets here. My email is jake742@sbcglobal.net
Thank you
Mike

Roweski

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
'23 TRX White (ordered)
Current Ride #2
2020 Wrangler JL

I've been looking for a plate switch that I could hide under the carpet. Not sure about the reliability, so I planned to run a quality failsafe switch in parallel to an inconvenient and inconspicuous location nowhere close to the driver seat.

DIN0ZR

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
Military
USMC
I think there’s probably a way to get it just as concealed but much more convenient to the driver.

LDN

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score

Claasicdrive

TRX Maniac
Gallery
Reaction score
OP
OP
maestro5531

maestro5531

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
i listened to OP and got 100ft for $10.39
Warehouse is next to me so I dont pay shipping or shipping would be extra $10
made in the USA

the one you linked has way higher temperature resistance low and high tho..it's made in China and not sure how much i can trust them

pick your poison
Silicone wire from Amazon is super flexible and not anywhere close to factory feel.
I use what you linked above but after I ran out of blue that I originally started with, I went with all black.

Reactions: LDN

LDN

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
i listened to OP and got 100ft for $10.39
Warehouse is next to me so I dont pay shipping or shipping would be extra $10
made in the USA

the one you linked has way higher temperature resistance low and high tho..it's made in China and not sure how much i can trust them

pick your poison
That does look good. Any reason you went for blue? they do all types of colors in the same wire

LDN

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
Silicone wire from Amazon is super flexible and not anywhere close to factory feel.
I use what you linked above but after I ran out of blue that I originally started with, I went with all black.
Just realized this is OP. Thanks again!

DIN0ZR

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
Military
USMC
FYI a trusted source I use for wire is CE Auto Electric Supply in Arizona. You can buy by the foot. Good prices. Good selection. And you can call their phone and talk to the owner, Tony Candela, if you have questions. https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/

KDCane

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Just installed mine today! Aside from forgetting to disconnect the battery (which caused me to blow a fuse) it was super easy. Didn't even have to pop the start button out.

Thanks so much for the extra peace of mind!

MAlogna

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Just installed mine today! Aside from forgetting to disconnect the battery (which caused me to blow a fuse) it was super easy. Didn't even have to pop the start button out.

Might be a dumb question, but why didn’t you have to pop the starter button out?

LDN

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score

Why do you have to disconnect the battery?

LDN

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
i.e. why would you blow a fuse simply by disconnecting/reconnecting the start button?

OnTheReel

TRX Addict
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX
I assume he probably inadvertently touched one of the kill switch leads to a ground while installing. They are hot all the time, so it’s better to just plug the harness into the starter button AFTER the kill wires are run, and the kill switch is wired and installed. Then there’s no risk of shorting and no need to disconnect the battery.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Sam Leman Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM Morton Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM EBC Brakes StopwatchUSA.com DanCumminsCDJR.com OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com airRyd auto shipping