Octane booster vs premium fuel

I would only use 91 or above octane fuel.

1635085425123.png

I had two AMGs over the last 10 years one modified to 700 HP and struggled with this question. I can only get 91 in my state and these cars needed 93 as tuned. I tried Torco and Boostane, Royal Purple and Klotz. each will boost at different levels- usually .1 or so so be careful to get one that can boost 20-30 octane points. Example Royal Purple can boost 87-91, or 91-93, However they contain MMT.

This said after a few spark plug changes and a dealer telling me that the plugs and cylinder walls were coated with MMT (orange residue), and realizing it would probably be enough for a warranty denial in the future- I changed my ways.

i started buying non MMT based race fuel in 5 Gallon pails and mixing it. No more MMT residue + nicely increased octane levels.

just mt 2 cents.

I would only use 91 or above octane fuel.

View attachment 25666
TCAT, thank you. Yeah the problem is we max out at 90 in Fairbanks. Guess I will either use an approved octane booster from my dealer or just have to live with reduced HP. I know they sold quite a few HellCats up here over the years so will see what the dealer states they recommend.

I had two AMGs over the last 10 years one modified to 700 HP and struggled with this question. I can only get 91 in my state and these cars needed 93 as tuned. I tried Torco and Boostane, Royal Purple and Klotz. each will boost at different levels- usually .1 or so so be careful to get one that can boost 20-30 octane points. Example Royal Purple can boost 87-91, or 91-93, However they contain MMT.

This said after a few spark plug changes and a dealer telling me that the plugs and cylinder walls were coated with MMT (orange residue), and realizing it would probably be enough for a warranty denial in the future- I changed my ways.

i started buying non MMT based race fuel in 5 Gallon pails and mixing it. No more MMT residue + nicely increased octane levels.

just mt 2 cents.
Thanks, Redtrex. Will look into royal purple but if not sold locally I can net get it shipped here. Looked at Amazon and it is not authorized for shipment to Alaska.

I am picking my TRX up on Monday from Gene's. Over 6 month wait and finally able to get in one. Do you buy the booster directly from Gene's or from a local store? How much Torco do you use for each fill-up? Do you consistently use 90 and if so, where do you purchase it from? Sorry for the multiple questions but since it seems most else here do not understand that not all locations have access to 93 and want to lay smack for trying to find a way to make what is available work or run what they want. Thank you. Dan
Hey Im in Anchorage. I use VP Octanium from Napa. Its a little spendy but it has so far performed well. One can treats 10 gallons and raises octane 7 points. but almost always trying to put in 91. As you know you just cant always find it traveling in this state so i keep a few of those VP cans in the truck.

Just now at O Reillys

Attachments

• D9E7288D-A1F1-4FFB-9C22-90D60803470F.jpeg
    D9E7288D-A1F1-4FFB-9C22-90D60803470F.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 32
Ok… my couple cents now that I looked at the factory engine tune:

1) it’s e85 capable but says it needs the sensor. USA models does not have the fuel fuel tune from the factory…

2) however there is a ton of alcohol tuning which is probably because so many states are going E5, E10 and E15

3) Unlike GM which has 93, 91, 87 and 85 spark, cam, and fuel tunes in every vehicle… this has three ish tunes. A “Base” tune a “Lock pin” tune and a “High Octane” tune (and then the same in an alcohol version). I need to look into this more.

On the GM torque demand tunes the tune automatically starts in the highest octane maps, looks for ping/knock and then drops to the next lowest if there is an issue. It stays there for a predertimined time listening and if it hears nothing it goes back to the next higher octane map. If it does hear soemthing it will drop down again to the next maps and listen.

So the ecu is constantly switching maps…

It is logging trim for fuel and spark and cam.. and it will set limits. But if you get to a point where you’re dumping fuel and pulling spark, that’s murder on your cats and your gas tank.

But thats the GM tune. This Ram tune looks like it is keeping you in the single tune unless it senses alcohol (Again how if there is no sensor?) and then it just has knock event maps. It probably just responds for a second and the builds a trim map and fuel adjustment map. So for those running 87 at regular altitude, you are just reducing power and mileage and cooking the cats. One way to tell is to unplug the battery, press the brake pedal, then reattach the battery and drive it aggressively. I bet you will have a ton of ping and knock events.

I think with how this map looks, 91 is the least it’s going to be happy with unless you’re at altitude… maybe then you could drop down.

As for octane boosters. There are some good ones out there and there is some junk out there. Like anything, if you use the stuff that is made by the race gas companies…

That being said, I’d be curious what this truck would do on 100+ Unleaded. I’m curious what the “High Octane” map can do. I’m about to go look at it’s spark and cam numbers

Last edited:
Ok… my couple cents now that I looked at the factory engine tune:

1) it’s e85 capable but says it needs the sensor. USA models does not have the fuel fuel tune from the factory…

2) however there is a ton of alcohol tuning which is probably because so many states are going E5, E10 and E15

3) Unlike GM which has 93, 91, 87 and 85 spark, cam, and fuel tunes in every vehicle… this has three ish tunes. A “Base” tune a “Lock pin” tune and a “High Octane” tune (and then the same in an alcohol version). I need to look into this more.

On the GM torque demand tunes the tune automatically starts in the highest octane maps, looks for ping/knock and then drops to the next lowest if there is an issue. It stays there for a predertimined time listening and if it hears nothing it goes back to the next higher octane map. If it does hear soemthing it will drop down again to the next maps and listen.

So the ecu is constantly switching maps…

It is logging trim for fuel and spark and cam.. and it will set limits. But if you get to a point where you’re dumping fuel and pulling spark, that’s murder on your cats and your gas tank.

But thats the GM tune. This Ram tune looks like it is keeping you in the single tune unless it senses alcohol (Again how if there is no sensor?) and then it just has knock event maps. It probably just responds for a second and the builds a trim map and fuel adjustment map. So for those running 87 at regular altitude, you are just reducing power and mileage and cooking the cats. One way to tell is to unplug the battery, press the brake pedal, then reattach the battery and drive it aggressively. I bet you will have a ton of ping and knock events.

I think with how this map looks, 91 is the least it’s going to be happy with unless you’re at altitude… maybe then you could drop down.

As for octane boosters. There are some good ones out there and there is some junk out there. Like anything, if you use the stuff that is made by the race gas companies…

That being said, I’d be curious what this truck would do on 100+ Unleaded. I’m curious what the “High Octane” map can do. I’m about to go look at it’s spark and cam numbers
This is great info, plse keep us info on your findings..

This is an older thread but if your into making your own octane boost here is an excerpt from another forum.
""With only using toluene and NO other additives. Take a 13 gallon tank and fill 1 gallon of toluene at 114 octane. And the rest with 93 octane premium. (1/13) * 114 = 8.77 (12/13) * 93 = 85.85 8.77 + 85.85 = 94.62 octane in your tank. Not a really impressive boost. To get 100 octane race fuel you would need: 4.5 gallons of toluene in a 13 gallon tank! (4.5/13) * 114 = 37.27 (8.5/13) * 93 = 60.81 100.27 octane.""

This is an older thread but if your into making your own octane boost here is an excerpt from another forum.
""With only using toluene and NO other additives. Take a 13 gallon tank and fill 1 gallon of toluene at 114 octane. And the rest with 93 octane premium. (1/13) * 114 = 8.77 (12/13) * 93 = 85.85 8.77 + 85.85 = 94.62 octane in your tank. Not a really impressive boost. To get 100 octane race fuel you would need: 4.5 gallons of toluene in a 13 gallon tank! (4.5/13) * 114 = 37.27 (8.5/13) * 93 = 60.81 100.27 octane.""
Here is a source for Toluene

I miss the days when hardware stores used to carry toulene.

Mega squirt for an ecu and a bottle added to the tank for every track day. Just turn up the boooooooost

What do the refineries use to up the octane?

Question: We have 95 Octane, 98 Octane and then 100-102 Octane in Europe as Shell V-Power Racing or OMV Premium.
Everywhere it is written about the minimum octane number, but nowhere about the maximum. So far, I have always driven premium fuels on my European cars and I would like to stay true to the tradition of the TRX (although it will hurt a lot, as the price is currently 1.80 Eur / liter = 7.89 USD / gal.)

You'd probably need the 100-102 flavor. Here in the states we measure our octane levels than overseas. Here it's R+M/2 to get the AKI. You probably use RON as an index.

Most computerized emissions control systems have sensors that will reduce timing to compensate for detonation or other conditions that could ruin an engine. You’ll never hear a knock because it is stopped almost immediately. Performance will definitely be compromised if you use a lower octane fuel and as another poster mentioned, it could have warranty ramifications because those types of issues are captured and stored in the built in diagnostics.

I don’t own a diagnostic reader, but it would be interesting to run a tank of lower octane fuel and then see if there are any alarms recorded.

Computers can’t change physics. There’s only so much timing the PCM can pull for low octane and the engine still run. 87 would be a disaster.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com
Back