First TRX with a rear swaybar!!! Handles amazing!!!

55F75426-BBE4-4677-AC8D-D7CA3953D49A.jpeg
3D484D7F-6B95-421A-B666-CC89EAD7D456.jpeg
885BBD40-4582-40C1-A419-275FEB107980.jpeg
BE8AAEDC-6EB7-4F45-9395-F8FE27DB20EB.jpeg
375FF37A-8C5D-4409-9F80-7DA6D4596DB2.jpeg
970BD553-6A9F-4272-A8EA-F79FFA51821C.jpeg
8D71AECF-CFA1-484F-B4B2-503D1CD5B9F2.jpeg

For the price, Hellwig really should fix this or the instructions

For the price, Hellwig really should fix this or the instructions
Agree, now the instructions for the RAM 1500 on their website are for the regular ram not the TRX and the TRX has a different much more robust frame and rear end so the geometry is somewhat different. They should up date the kit with new instructions the proper hardware and TRX specific items such as spacers and the proper upper control arm bolts.

Some of your hardware looks different then knight mares?

Some of your hardware looks different then knight mares?
I used OEM bolts for the sway bar bushing mounts and the upper end link mount as I wanted it to blend in better with all the other stock hardware.

On the included clamps I noticed that the stock bar on the regular 1500s don't have any locating rings and in all the videos and installs I have seen no one has them.

Did anyone who has installed on the TRX so far used them?

On the included clamps I noticed that the stock bar on the regular 1500s don't have any locating rings and in all the videos and installs I have seen no one has them.

Did anyone who has installed on the TRX so far used them?

I didn’t use them at first, because I couldn’t get them to fit once everything was installed. I really think it’s fine without them.

But if you‘re like me, you can’t just leave it. Loosen the two bolt bracket enough, you can get it in there.

How does it drive?
Have not taken it for a drive yet, finished up late afternoon and a late afternoon SF thunderstorm came in so will drive it tomorrow. I have it on the softest setting and will post results once I have enough time behind the wheel.

Have not taken it for a drive yet, finished up late afternoon and a late afternoon SF thunderstorm came in so will drive it tomorrow. I have it on the softest setting and will post results once I have enough time behind the wheel.
I’m really interested if you can get the back to step out on any setting. Give it a go

I didn’t use them at first, because I couldn’t get them to fit once everything was installed. I really think it’s fine without them.

But if you‘re like me, you can’t just leave it. Loosen the two bolt bracket enough, you can get it in there.
I designed and printed some 1/4 prototype spacers to add clearance. Will test fit tomorrow and if they do the job will machine them out of some 1/4 aluminum plate, paint black and throw them on so the collars have space and don't rub or cause any binding issues. (If it works well then great and if not will just go without them. Most swaybar applications don't use them anyways.)

I designed and printed some 1/4 prototype spacers to add clearance. Will test fit tomorrow and if they do the job will machine them out of some 1/4 aluminum plate, paint black and throw them on so the collars have space and don't rub or cause any binding issues. (If it works well then great and if not will just go without them. Most swaybar applications don't use them anyways.)
Care to make an extra set perchance?

The 7883 kit is on backorder, sold out of all of them and they are telling me at least 6+ weeks for new orders, I just spoke to them again this morning. We can definitely open that backup for orders if anyone wants to wait. We have been selling the 2 separate kits lately as they are in-stock.
I'm cool with the backorder if you open back up.

I'm cool with the backorder if you open back up.
Will try to in the next few weeks, giving the manufacturer sometime to get caught up as they are so swamped right now.

Ok, the spacer works out great and provides much better clearance. I also see that the front swaybar has locating collars.

I am making some small adjustments to the size of the spacer to better support the bushing and machining this afternoon.

Here are some pictures:
8B014FA6-0EFB-4251-AB2F-235D9E021256.jpeg
93CA8A46-5F28-412D-9D3A-E9F8CBE92B8C.jpeg
7A82AC77-B2E6-472B-AF00-7A751BA7FE75.jpeg
16943DDD-9FC2-4983-B679-4C9519F475BE.jpeg
85A495DF-BD72-47A0-92A6-2CF12E548B83.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice, call Hellwig and sell them this!
They should reengineer their product for the TRX and release an updated kit with proper hardware and instructions, and yes these plates that they can make themselves. Just wanted to make sure it fits properly on my truck and share the lessons learned with all you fine folk here on the forum...🙂

It is a good product that just needs some extra work to make right on our trucks.

Ok, drove the truck today and it is night and day better, I have it on the softest outward setting...

1) Body Roll: At least a 70% reduction, corners much better with very little body roll and much more confidence.

2) Understeer: Much less understeer and a very neutral feel, which is good as its a pickup with a light backend. (This is probably the best setting as I don't want the truck tail happy under normal circumstances and if you want some excitement you can always use the throttle...:))

3) Squat under acceleration: Much less squat about 50% less. (This one fixes the next issue almost completely as it keeps the rear from squatting unevenly to the passenger side that then unloads the font tires unevenly and causes the truck to steer to the left.)

4) Torque Steer: This is the one I was really interested in and I am happy to report it is a very big improvement of at least 80%. The uneven squat that would unload the front tires due to the torque transfer is almost completely gone. Feels much more planted and predictable and no longer wants to pull you out of your lane.

5) Loss of articulation: I would say on the softest setting the loss of articulation is less than 5-10% and well worth the trade off of on road stability vs extreme rock crawling ability. Your talking maybe 2" of a difference that for 99.999%of the time will not be a factor and if you ever plan on hitting the extreme trails is a 5 min disconnect of two bolts.

6) Overall ride quality: No significant change under normal bumps including speed bumps as the suspension is being compressed evenly of both the passenger and drivers side. Under larger uneven bumps its only slightly stiffer in the rear/hardly noticeable. This is due to the swaybar increasing the effective rebound rate of the rear suspension.

Very happy with the results, feels like a new improved truck and the trade offs are limited. RAM wanted the best offroad articulation numbers to beat the Rapter and decided to go without a rear swaybar, so if you don't care about that one capability and want a much better overall driving experience I highly recommend this mod.

Last edited:
Ok, drove the truck today and it is night and day better, I have it on the softest outward setting...

1) Body Roll: At least a 70% reduction, corners much better with very little body roll and much more confidence.

2) Understeer: Much less understeer and a very neutral feel, which is good as its a pickup with a light backend. (This is probably the best setting as I don't want the truck tail happy under normal circumstances and if you want some excitement you can always use the throttle...:))

3) Squat under acceleration: Much less squat about 50% less. (This one fixes the next issue almost completely as it keeps the rear from squatting unevenly to the passenger side that then unloads the font tires unevenly and causes the truck to steer to the left.)

4) Torque Steer: This is the one I was really interested in and I am happy to report it is a very big improvement of at least 80%. The uneven squat that would unload the front tires due to the torque transfer is almost completely gone. Feels much more planted and predictable and no longer wants to pull you out of your lane.

5) Loss of articulation: I would say on the softest setting the loss of articulation is less than 5-10% and well worth the trade off of on road stability vs extreme rock crawling ability. Your talking maybe 2" of a difference that for 99.999%of the time will not be a factor and if you ever plan on hitting the extreme trails is a 5 min disconnect of two bolts.

6) Overall ride quality: No significant change under normal bumps including speed bumps as the suspension is being compressed evenly of both the passenger and drivers side. Under larger uneven bumps its only slightly stiffer in the rear/hardly noticeable. This is due to the swaybar increasing the effective rebound rate of the rear suspension.

Very happy with the results, feels like a new improved truck and the trade offs are limited. RAM wanted the best offroad articulation numbers to beat the Rapter and decided to go without a rear swaybar, so if you don't care about that one capability and want a much better overall driving experience I highly recommend this mod.
Great writeup, thanks for the insight.

Back