Dram of the Day

Went for a wonder around the local liquor stores today and stumbled into this:

image.jpg

It's a very interesting bourbon that I had been looking for for a while ... looking forward too trying it.

Here's some background on it: https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/hillrock-estate-solera-aged-bourbon
Let me know what you think of it. Really enjoyed it the other day. Having this tonight. Picked up a bottle of this, blantons and weller 12 yesterday with no ADM

Attachments

• 157ABA41-C111-43AF-BF17-CADD7F0353C6.jpeg
    157ABA41-C111-43AF-BF17-CADD7F0353C6.jpeg
    335.4 KB · Views: 21
Well I keep finding more broken things post Ice Age.....so I thought I would start early.......... I hope you all are enjoying the day!

View attachment 5533
Sorry to hear that, hope you get better temperatures this week.
I’m having a pre-bourbon dram watching the sunset from the tub

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 17
Sorry to hear that, hope you get better temperatures this week.
I’m having a pre-bourbon dram watching the sunset from the tub
No worries all is good. just the price you pay.... to play out here. The good thing I‘m very used to it. Cheers... enjoy the tub my friend.

Anyone like brandy? I have what is supposed to be an excellent bottle of Armagnac

Anyone like brandy? I have what is supposed to be an excellent bottle of Armagnac
I dable in cognac and Armangnac, what do you have pre tel?

Last edited:
Alright ...

I did yearly inventory a few weeks ago to see what's what and this is the current stock:

Last three years of BB:

IMG-6008.jpg

The Winkles:

IMG-6009.jpg

BTAC:

IMG-6010.jpg

Owl Bourbons:

IMG-6012.jpg

Michter's and their cousins:

IMG-6013.jpg

Parker's:

IMG-6014.jpg

Last four years of Limited Edition Four Roses:

IMG-6015.jpg

Wellers:

IMG-6016.jpg

Taylors:

IMG-6017.jpg

Elmer:

IMG-6161.jpg

Random deliciousness:

IMG-6019.jpg

IMG-6018.jpg

IMG-6020.jpg

IMG-6021.jpg

IMG-5903.jpg

A few bits I've picked up since:

IMG-6024.jpg

IMG-6151.jpg

IMG-6117.jpg

IMG-6083.jpg

IMG-6070.jpg

Yes I am aware that I have a problem.
No I don't plan to do anything about it. :)

Tbh normally I wouldn't have this much whiskey on hand, but because 2020 very few peeps have been around my place to share in the joy, and I can only put down so much by myself.
That’s a nice damn collection, glad to see I’m not the only one with the problem.

I’ve got some guests coming that enjoy a certain twist on a margarita and this tequila is unique to say the least. Now sucking on the oranges after a 48 hr soak will sneak up and bite you. Keep a look out for the Maestro Double Diamond if you like a good sipper.

6C76E1ED-0276-47E3-B098-9B1BE1823B6B.jpeg

Haven’t had that one. How is it?

So the direct answer is it's fantastic.

The direct answer to 'is it worth the $200ish price' is maybe. At that price point a bourbon has to deliver specifically what an individual loves in a bourbon to make it worth it to them, otherwise it has a taste profile that they appreciate but don't cherish and there's no point in spending that much. I wish I had a WJ 14 from the same The Vault series to compare it to.

For me, as much as I love it, I would take the Knob Creek 15 at around $100 and save myself the money. Not that they taste identical, but I find the KC equally good and a much better value.

Widow Jane generally makes very good bourbon. They have a lot of releases so it's hard to get a sense of what's what unless you have like six bottles of theirs open at the same time. Generally speaking they lean towards being good but slightly overpriced. The value sweet spot for me is the 12, but the truth is there are better whiskeys for less, including the aforementioned KC15.

TLDR, I really really like the 15, but would prefer it as a gift. :)

Back