Does lane assist seem more than a step above completely useless for anyone else?

RobsTRX

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
The peoples republic of New york... Long Island
Current Ride
2022 Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
2016 supercharged Silverado
I just traded in my TRX for a new one. Being the author of the thread 'Complete install instruction for ACC" I can surely have ACC for about $75 however I have been doing a bunch of highway driving and I figured I'd pony up to get the lane assist. On the way home from Koons, which was another fiasco, it was poring rain and the lane assist was really useless. I could hardly tell it had it. Now that the truck is home and its dry the thing will drift right over clearly painted lines 50% of the time. I have this feature in my Mercedes and the car will basically drive itself until it senses you have no hand on the wheel for an extended period of time. It works excellent. In fact I rented a cheep Mitsubishi and it worked well too. I'm I missing something or is this feature just dialed down so far its useless?

hmmm, would like some more input on this as well. As I have ordered it for my 2023. It works pretty well on my wife's Armada, but there are times it acts flakey....but I think it has saved our bacon one time from hitting a curb, so I ordered it with the TRX.

The lane keep assist has adjustable settings, try playing with them. Mine works decent when there's no snow on the ground haha. But also keep in mind - it's only there to "assist" you - not to do all the work from keeping you on the road lol

The lane keep assist has adjustable settings, try playing with them. Mine works decent when there's no snow on the ground haha. But also keep in mind - it's only there to "assist" you - not to do all the work from keeping you on the road lol
THIS, my bmw has the full driving and it obviously handles road centering much better than the truck. lane assist isn't advertised as self driving just the assist part. For what it is, I like it. On longer road trips it is nice, but not full self driving.

Have you tried changing the sensitivity settings on the touch screen?

It's lane keep assist not lane centering or auto driving. Word to the wise, don't trust it going around a curve on the highway.

I just traded in my TRX for a new one. Being the author of the thread 'Complete install instruction for ACC" I can surely have ACC for about $75 however I have been doing a bunch of highway driving and I figured I'd pony up to get the lane assist. On the way home from Koons, which was another fiasco, it was poring rain and the lane assist was really useless. I could hardly tell it had it. Now that the truck is home and its dry the thing will drift right over clearly painted lines 50% of the time. I have this feature in my Mercedes and the car will basically drive itself until it senses you have no hand on the wheel for an extended period of time. It works excellent. In fact I rented a cheep Mitsubishi and it worked well too. I'm I missing something or is this feature just dialed down so far its useless?
I was just in a rental 2023 Camry with lane keep assist, adaptive cruise etc. If the lanes were clearly marked, that damn thing would stay centered. TRX is like ping pong, it is useless to me.

It seems to only work in the most ideal conditions, which we don’t often have here. When the roads are wet or caked in salt it doesn’t even try. Even when the roads are decent it doesn’t always pick up the markers.

I would think that a car, much lower to the ground, would function better than a tall truck.

My Genesis would self drive. My TRX will correct, but it’s not a lane centering system. If you take your hands off the wheel, it’s gonna bounce line to line. However, I use mine on my work commute to basically alert me if I’m drifting, especially after a 16 hour day. I find it very useful for that purpose. In town, OFF. It’s a total PITA if you forget and leave it on.

I was just in a rental 2023 Camry with lane keep assist, adaptive cruise etc. If the lanes were clearly marked, that damn thing would stay centered. TRX is like ping pong, it is useless to me.
100% That's how my 3500 is. My Audi does really good and it's older, the truck is like oh shit turn left....no rigggghhhttt lol

If its the same as my 2019 Ram Limited, its garbage. It will ping pong three times and then yell at you and turn off. I honestly don't know why its even an option

I'd suggest looking into getting a Comma 3.
It will give you something akin to Tesla's auto pilot and is a plug and play install.

I have only used it on dry sunny days on the freeway. It works ok, but not great. Would I order it again? No. Since the TRX is so wide bounces around? a little but not bad if used on the freeway and no traffic. in all other conditions it doesn't work or works poorly

Not a fan of lane assist and having driven a few vehicles with it glad I didn't get it on my TRX. It either doesn't work good enough or is far too intrusive on a spirited drive, which is just distracting.

Reactions: Two
Weird, the driving tech in my 2010 Benz E550 smokes my 2021 power wagon by a large margin as it did with my 2018 Chevy 1/2 ton...oh well...dont care that much...take the Ram all day

Yes, it is almost worthless on the TRX.

It was absolutely awesome on my F150. Truck would drive itself as long as I jiggled the wheel every 5-10 seconds to let it know I was still conscious.

I’ve found it to be much better in the TRX than it was in my ‘17 Denali. This is much more of an “assist” whereas the old truck would just ping pong in the lane.

My driving style(no blinkers) leads me to keep it off for all but long highway journeys though.

I too was expecting it to be a lame centering system like other brands. But it is not! It's more of a disaster helper, if you are drifting out of your lane. It's not helpful to keep you centered in the lane.

Get a comma 3 and run OpenPilot (comma.ai) It's 100% worth it if you do long trips on the interstate. It's incredible actually.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back