Focal Audio Overhaul ⚡

LGsunshine

TRX Noob
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 RAM TRX
Hey y'all, for any of you out there totally disgusted with your "premium" Harmon Kardon system you're not alone. As soon as I picked up my 2021 TRX I cranked up the stereo and realized pretty quickly the system actively ruins music. Bummer.
What to do? Did some digging online (including this forum) and started working with an expert audio installer in Boulder, CO. We came up with the following upgrades:
*BlackHole 3-layer sound dampening in the doors and floor boards (didn't have the budget for the full cab but probably well worth the investment if you've got the pockets)
*Focal Flax Evo three way components for the front, two way in the rear. Custom center channel w/midrange & tweeter in the center dash. Rear tweeters in new location in back doors (see pictures). The existing tweeters in headliner above the back window were abandoned for better sound.
*Mosconi 8/12 digital processor, AMAS-96k high res Bluetooth & DSP
*Mosconi full range compact amp (front), Focal FDP 6-channel power amp (rear), and Focal Flax Evo 10" sub with custom enclosure under rear seat. We removed the little partition to make it work.

Needless to say, this truck rocks. I literally spend evenings sitting in the garage jammin out like a high school kid. This is a "take the long way home" quality sound system with an incredible sound stage. The balance clarity are unreal.

Happy to answer any questions.

Happy listening.🤘

Attachments

• PXL_20230330_010923258.jpg
    PXL_20230330_010923258.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 311
  • PXL_20230330_010852508.jpg
    PXL_20230330_010852508.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20230321_181409707.jpg
    IMG_20230321_181409707.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 230
  • PXL_20230330_143754507.jpg
    PXL_20230330_143754507.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 235
  • PXL_20230330_143815923.jpg
    PXL_20230330_143815923.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 234
Looks good. How much did the whole step up cost?

Hey y'all, for any of you out there totally disgusted with your "premium" Harmon Kardon system you're not alone. As soon as I picked up my 2021 TRX I cranked up the stereo and realized pretty quickly the system actively ruins music. Bummer.
What to do? Did some digging online (including this forum) and started working with an expert audio installer in Boulder, CO. We came up with the following upgrades:
*BlackHole 3-layer sound dampening in the doors and floor boards (didn't have the budget for the full cab but probably well worth the investment if you've got the pockets)
*Focal Flax Evo three way components for the front, two way in the rear. Custom center channel w/midrange & tweeter in the center dash. Rear tweeters in new location in back doors (see pictures). The existing tweeters in headliner above the back window were abandoned for better sound.
*Mosconi full range compact amp (front), Focal FDP 6-channel power amp (rear), and Focal Flax Evo 10" sub with custom enclosure under rear seat. We removed the little partition to make it work.

Needless to say, this truck rocks. I literally spend evenings sitting in the garage jammin out like a high school kid. This is a "take the long way home" quality sound system with an incredible sound stage. The balance clarity are unreal.

Happy listening.🤘
HERE IS ONE OF OUR MEMBERS STEREO BUILD, ITS THE GOLD STANDARD AND EVERYTHING ELSE DOESNT HOLD A CANDLE TO IT:

HERE IS ONE OF OUR MEMBERS STEREO BUILD, ITS THE GOLD STANDARD AND EVERYTHING ELSE DOESNT HOLD A CANDLE TO IT:

Does sent a post to a guy bragging about his stereo build and I sent him you link telling him how it’s really done!
Hoping winter isn’t driving you crazy!

That's the thread that started it all! A very nice system for sure!

That’s cute, I did the exact same thing as the gold standard, helix , blam, second skin full interior, but with real bass LOL

Attachments

• 05032237-C82B-441F-ADF8-F4B5F842485B.jpeg
    05032237-C82B-441F-ADF8-F4B5F842485B.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 117
LGSunshine, very nice stereo build. You can't go wrong with Focal's, Mosconi, and Blackhole sound treatment. I am curious how is the "AMAS-96k high res Bluetooth"? Any difference from the standard Bluetooth? I have RCA's going straight from a hi-res DAP into the Mosconi 8/12 digital processor, noticeable difference vs. through the factory head unit. Sounds like you have a great system, enjoy!!!

LGSunshine, very nice stereo build. You can't go wrong with Focal's, Mosconi, and Blackhole sound treatment. I am curious how is the "AMAS-96k high res Bluetooth"? Any difference from the standard Bluetooth? I have RCA's going straight from a hi-res DAP into the Mosconi 8/12 digital processor, noticeable difference vs. through the factory head unit. Sounds like you have a great system, enjoy!!!
The Mosconi Hi-res is a great piece. It lets you play the music directly out of your phone straight to the processor. The factory bluetooth is going to be very compressed. If you are using Carplay/Android Auto you will have a bit better sound.
The down side of the Amas, you have to use your DSP's controller for the audio. So unless you have it in a vary convenient location it can be a little troublesome to use while driving.
I've recommended it but only if you are going to listen while your are parked.

Happy listening.🤘
What shop did you goto in boulder because I’m in the springs and trying to find a good shop?

Nice setup. This is probably the exact setup and budget I'm looking to do here in Socal. Just have to start the process of talking to different local shops and determine who will do the most professional job. Not easy to do considering most shops seem to have their share of horror stories.

Cant beat focal stuff. Thats what my superduty has and several vehicles before. haven't decided if the trx is gonna stick around long enough to do the stereo stuff to it, although the factory stuff is a bit painful to listen to. haha. May just do a simple set up like what i have in the wifes excursion. we used all hybrid audio stuff in that one and actually turned out really nice.

Nice setup. This is probably the exact setup and budget I'm looking to do here in Socal. Just have to start the process of talking to different local shops and determine who will do the most professional job. Not easy to do considering most shops seem to have their share of horror stories.
I got mine done in Rancho Cucamonga by audio dreamz…. Amazing work and by far the fastest in and out I’ve been… did sound proofing, front and rear doors with focals, dsp and amp install. In like 6-7 hours picked up same day.

Back