Differential and Transfer Case Fluid Change- My Observations

That one I sent has both rolled into one. Good luck getting that out of there hopefully it won’t be too much of a chore.
By the way, what thread lock do you recommend for t-case drain/fill plugs?

Any chemically resistant thread sealant is fine just don’t over torque when you reinstall since the T case is aluminum.

Any chemically resistant thread sealant is fine just don’t over torque when you reinstall since the T case is aluminum.
18 ft-lb

Service manual doesn’t say to use anything so it’s probably not necessary. I don’t remember if I did or not. Hopefully you can get the cap out of there without too much fuss. I’d at least poke around with that probe through the fill hole before draining it. Might get really lucky if it’s just floating there or sitting on something you can reach.

Service manual doesn’t say to use anything so it’s probably not necessary. I don’t remember if I did or not. Hopefully you can get the cap out of there without too much fuss. I’d at least poke around with that probe through the fill hole before draining it. Might get really lucky if it’s just floating there or sitting on something you can reach.
Do you know if using a vacuum could mess anything inside the t-case? Just in case I can’t reach it, just to bring it more close to the hole.

Do you know if using a vacuum could mess anything inside the t-case? Just in case I can’t reach it, just to bring it more close to the hole.
Don’t see why you couldn’t. In your predicament I’d try it (and anything else I could think of).

Don’t see why you couldn’t. In your predicament I’d try it (and anything else I could think of).
Thanks man! Wish me good luck! 😅
I bet I’m the first TRX owner that it happens to him. … and I had the f***g pump! No just one, 3 of them! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

I wouldn't use a thread lock, but a thread sealant or Teflon tape would be fine. Try to keep it away from the last 1 or 2 threads so it doesn't get in the t-case. I prefer thread sealer

I wouldn't use a thread lock, but a thread sealant or Teflon tape would be fine. Try to keep it away from the last 1 or 2 threads so it doesn't get in the t-case. I prefer thread sealer

Like this?

IMG_0298.png

Why @PotterTRX said that transfer case fluid is 2.5Qts and I only was able to put 2Qts. I tried to refill again (it was when the cap blew out into the t-case) but it was full, and looking now I found this:
IMG_0302.jpeg

No thread lock. 18ftlbs torque
Threads are tapered

Did you get it out ?

Did you get it out ?
Sorrry Guys. I’ve spend Sunday and Monday trying to get that thing out of my t-case. So, I talked with my dealer and they will tow the truck and will remove the transfer case, open it and get that cap out of there. So…. 😅😂

I’m kidding!! Yeah, I spent two days looking the way to get it out, tried uncountable ways to get it close to the drain hole. So, after looking with the camera in the top when the t-case was filled, I couldn’t see it, so I drained it and crossed my fingers. When I looked with the camera though the drain hole it was there, and then was when the frustration started. In every attempt the cap moved the place, but never for a better. Well, after vacuums, pumps, fills and drains (7-8 times, using clean fluid and filtering it every time), I found the final tool and I was able to get it almost out to the hole and then a little vacuum to get it out completely!

Thank you all you guys!

IMG_0313.jpeg
IMG_0314.jpeg

I probably have the most clean transfer case in the world! 😅😂 I hope it won’t break along the road… 😂

Do you need to reapply?
I did because I made a little mess in t-case plugs and rear diff fill plug. So I removed the rear axle fluid, fixed the fill plug mess, checked the drain plug again, and filled it with fresh fluid. Now, TRX should be ready for a good ride.

Do you need to reapply?
I mean, I cleaned the thread and removed the OEM sealant and a shitty tape that made a little mess, and I use that Loctite thread sealant. Pretty cool, and it dries sweet.

I mean, I cleaned the thread and removed the OEM sealant and a shitty tape that made a little mess, and I use that Loctite thread sealant. Pretty cool, and it dries sweet.
Thanks. I have AMSOIL and Mopar fluids inbound going to attempt these fluid changes myself this weekend.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back