My stereo build! JL Stealthbox, Focal K2s, etc..

@OnTheReel I have a very similar setup in my 22 JL stealth box with the VXI 1000 amp running that i wint with the Focal Utopia series for speakers and 2 VXi 600 amps running those. My question is do you have any issues with interference caused by the VXi amps and the TPMS module that is located behind the back seat? if I unplug my amp power at the battery the TPMS works fine then when amps are reconnected to the battery the TPMS module looses the signals after about 5 miles.
Nope, never any issues at all. Must be some kind of noise or interference. Did you ask JL about it?

I have a question. Has anyone only installed the Stealthbox and amp yet? I’m looking to do the full stealth and focal set up but not all at once. Curious if the bass had to be turned all the way down if i did that for it to sound decent until i decide to spend the other $4k-$5k to complete the interior speakers. I was considering building the amp rack and add the soundskins to the back wall and prep it but i have other things i wanna buy before i go for the full system. I honestly don’t have any issues with my HK but would like more bass. Thanks for any replies.

Nope, never any issues at all. Must be some kind of noise or interference. Did you ask JL about it?
yes sent them an email and all they want to do is refund me

I have a question. Has anyone only installed the Stealthbox and amp yet? I’m looking to do the full stealth and focal set up but not all at once. Curious if the bass had to be turned all the way down if i did that for it to sound decent until i decide to spend the other $4k-$5k to complete the interior speakers. I was considering building the amp rack and add the soundskins to the back wall and prep it but i have other things i wanna buy before i go for the full system. I honestly don’t have any issues with my HK but would like more bass. Thanks for any replies.
i had it done all at once and the put in the bas knob so i can control the subs that way

@JayRay has just a Stealthbox & amp on the stock HK system if recall correctly. I’m sure plenty of others have as well. I don’t think it will overpower everything if set to a reasonable level. At full tilt it sure could though.

If you put a little forethought into how you set things up you can add a main amp down the road pretty easily. Have it staged to mount on the driver’s side back wall. That way you’ll only have to pull the smaller back seat out for access at a later date. Also pre-run some Speedwire from back there to the general area under the driver’s seat.

yes sent them an email and all they want to do is refund me
Damn. Maybe try relocating grounds or the amps themselves? I dunno. Mine are maybe 1.5 feet from that module and no issues. Using factory ground locations under the seat. Are you using optical?

@JayRay has just a Stealthbox & amp on the stock HK system if recall correctly. I’m sure plenty of others have as well. I don’t think it will overpower everything if set to a reasonable level. At full tilt it sure could though.

If you put a little forethought into how you set things up you can add a main amp down the road pretty easily. Have it staged to mount on the driver’s side back wall. That way you’ll only have to pull the smaller back seat out for access at a later date. Also pre-run some Speedwire from back there to the general area under the driver’s seat.
Yup that is the plan. Figure out exactly what i want and build a amp rack on that back wall accordingly with all wires pre run as best as i can

I'm happy with just the stealthbox and JL 600 watt amp setup. I have the bass knob but have it adjusted to where I hardly ever use it. Install wasn't too bad, but you obviously lose your underseat storage. I'm actually very happy with the stock sub with the HK package in my 22 3500. It hits alot harder than the HK sub in the TRX. I'm thinking because it has a dedicated box under the rear seat. Good luck!

Damn. Maybe try relocating grounds or the amps themselves? I dunno. Mine are maybe 1.5 feet from that module and no issues. Using factory ground locations under the seat. Are you using optical?
mine are basically the same place as yours not sure about the optical i ask my installer thx

I see this talk about the PAC CH41 and CH42 for the uconnect 5. I was checking some things out on Crutchfield and seen this:

Saw some Q&A on the Stealthbox and someone had commented that it works with the JL amps.
Will this in fact work?

Should work if you tap into the speaker wire going to the factory sub and run it to a JL VX amp. Won't have to deal with all the more complicated CH41/CH42 if you only want to add a stealthbox.
JD series amps claim to take high-level speaker wire input as well. Just looking to add a single sub, a 10TW3 and a JD500/1 amp.

Haven’t heard definitively if the factory HK sub is used in ANC. Some say yeah, some say no. If you get some weird noises coming out of the new sub, I guess we’d know and you’d have to bypass it. Also a decent chance that the factory sub is getting attenuated at higher volumes, so the new one would as well. There are products and work arounds that can correct that, but I would probably just take a wait and see approach.

So I’ve finally had a few minutes to work towards a solution and happy to report that a CH41 can be used with a CH03 under the seat without any errors! So I now have optical! Lots more wiring and testing to do but this is the biggest hurdle.

I too have TPMS error now that the jl amp is powered up. Also I get the 3 honks and key fob has left vehicle warning when I start the truck from the drivers seat. The same module must do the keyless entry as well. My amp is grounded to a factory point near what I presume to be the tpms module behind the drivers side rear seat. Will relocate the ground after I get the speakers hooked up to see if I can retain my tpms. Finicky electronics in these things for sure.

Hopefully the ground relocation solves it. Try to put everything as far away from the RF hub as possible, and see what happens. Still kinda wonder if they changed something for 2022. There are a ton of guys running the VXi amps on the 5thgenrams forum in 2019-2021s, never heard anything about these errors. But happy to hear progress is being made.

I relocated the ground to one of the bolts that previously held down the factory sub and that seemed to solve that problem, for anyone dealing with the same issue.

Edit: I spoke too soon. The TPMS is out again…. Anyone with a JL VX amp who isn’t having the TPMS issue, where exactly did you ground your amp?

Attachments

• 004FD09F-96E8-43E6-B0CB-01B56B57A132.jpeg
    004FD09F-96E8-43E6-B0CB-01B56B57A132.jpeg
    410.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 34D424F7-6BA4-49B7-B122-BC114BE45695.jpeg
    34D424F7-6BA4-49B7-B122-BC114BE45695.jpeg
    446.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I have a question. Has anyone only installed the Stealthbox and amp yet?

I have done this on my 2022. I did put the PacAmp Pro in and used the harness for the 2022 model year. No weird noises from ANC, no issues with TPMS, it just works. I am using the knob for the PacAmp Pro and not the knob from JL audio.

I have the 600 Watt AMP that JL Audio recommends in the manual. I am wondering if I should have gone to the 1000 watt amp. At 600 watts it kicks, but once you get used to it, you always want a little more...

Last edited:
I disconnected the JL module in case it was a frequency conflict with the TPMS, but no change. The amp should not be putting out any interference, the input signal is fiber optic so it should also not be causing any problems. I disconnected the amp speaker output plug and no change. I hate to run the ground all the way to the battery, but this trial and error and removing the rear seats over and over is annoying.

Last edited:
I disconnected the JL module in case it was a frequency conflict with the TPMS, but no change. The amp should not be putting out any interference, the input signal is fiber optic so it should also not be causing any problems. I disconnected the amp speaker output plug and no change. I hate to run the ground all the way to the battery, but this trial and error and removing the rear seats over and over is annoying.
What side did you run the power wire on from the battery? Did you run it under the truck and then back in or go through the firewall and under the door sill plates? Only asking cause way back when i used to do my own installs I noticed others who did it ran both the power and the rca’s on the same side and got alternator whine and other things. I always did one on one side and then put the other on the opposite. I know in these trucks you’re tapping the speaker wire so there are no rca’s but is it possible there is a wire the power is interfering with or maybe a wire got pinched while running the power feed?

What side did you run the power wire on from the battery? Did you run it under the truck and then back in or go through the firewall and under the door sill plates? Only asking cause way back when i used to do my own installs I noticed others who did it ran both the power and the rca’s on the same side and got alternator whine and other things. I always did one on one side and then put the other on the opposite. I know in these trucks you’re tapping the speaker wire so there are no rca’s but is it possible there is a wire the power is interfering with or maybe a wire got pinched while running the power feed?
Through the firewall and down the driver's side wire channels. Using optical cable so no RCAs to produce noise. No change with unplugging optical cable, speaker cables, bluetooth module, bass knob module. If amp is off tpms works, amp comes on and its down. Not sure it it is a canbus issue or radio/electrical interference somehow.

Back