Gear Selector Coating Chipping Off

Yes make An appt. Sit snd wait and get confirmation they will replace it, then make another appt. Bring it back drop it off wait the whole day or longer depending when they got it as it’s 4 10mm bolts under the 4 bolt covers , and 1 on each side of the console under the bacon strip they call it , and slide the console back and disconnect your usb cable and your console connection and remove the console and swap out the part and the n reverse procedure , clear the faults snd away you go. Be easier to get the part and do it yourself if they would just give you the part but warranty. And they have enough complaints they may do something about it.

Yes make An appt. Sit snd wait and get confirmation they will replace it, then make another appt. Bring it back drop it off wait the whole day or longer depending when they got it as it’s 4 10mm bolts under the 4 bolt covers , and 1 on each side of the console under the bacon strip they call it , and slide the console back and disconnect your usb cable and your console connection and remove the console and swap out the part and the n reverse procedure , clear the faults snd away you go. Be easier to get the part and do it yourself if they would just give you the part but warranty. And they have enough complaints they may do something about it.
You don’t need to remove the console to replace the shifter handle. Unclip boot with a small plastic trim tool, undo set screw, and lift up. Takes no time at all.
IMG_6297.jpeg

Mine is doing this as well. Just hit 7k miles today and had mine 6 months.

When they do this the dealer techs will damage something else.
Unclip the boot yourself before you bring it in. That would pretty much eliminate the chance of them scratching or screwing anything up cosmetically. Or say screw it and just buy a CF shifter.

Unclip the boot yourself before you bring it in. That would pretty much eliminate the chance of them scratching or screwing anything up cosmetically. Or say screw it and just buy a CF shifter.

That carbon fiber shifter is wicked cool, but for $500 it better be. Me likey.

Mine just chipped today, 2023 with 10K miles. I happened to be very close to the dealership so I decided to stop in. They were able to verify it should be covered under warranty and will get one coming. Still kind of frustrating this happens but the dealership seems like they will make it right.

Attachments

• IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 48
Are these chipping from the button retracting into the shifter or are you dudes the type with long ass fingernails or is it just defective paint?

It may be a paint issue but if rings are involved and holding the stick. The stick is meant to be held , as that’s where your arm rests.

That carbon fiber shifter is wicked cool, but for $500 it better be. Me likey.
I think it is worth it.

This is mine:

23 noticed mine at 5k miles currently at 8500 miles will be bringing it in for a warranty exchange ‼️🙄

Attachments

• 20231009_213850.jpg
    20231009_213850.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 51
2023 lunar with 3K miles and I just noticed it today! Gonna do a warranty claim when i do the next poil change there

Attachments

• IMG_9591.JPG
    IMG_9591.JPG
    322.5 KB · Views: 22
Mine isn't chipped...yet. Has anyone tried removing all of the black coating? It looks like it's the same color as the sides of the shifter and might be a better solution than bringing it into the dealer.

Mine isn't chipped...yet. Has anyone tried removing all of the black coating? It looks like it's the same color as the sides of the shifter and might be a better solution than bringing it into the dealer.
I still have my chipped one. I meant to go to Michael’s to get some polymer paint for it but forgot about the issue.

I don’t trust my dealer. Between their body shop failing to detect my bent trackbar to a recent situation where they didn’t give me back my lugnut lock after a tire rotation, I’m about fed up.

Mine starting chipping around 3000 miles. I decided to peal it all off to see how it looked after I ordered this: https://www.mhfautolighting.com/pro...ram-trx-shifter-matte-yellow-cf-havoc-edition.
It looks decent in grey. Had I peeled it off before I ordered the new shifter I would of been less inclined to order a new one but the carbon fiber is pretty cool so I'm content.
After posting the pic I realized I didn't get all of the black off from the inner area. I had never noticed it. Oh well, the new shifter just shipped after waiting three months. Looking forward to it.

Attachments

• 20240112_182248.jpg
    20240112_182248.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Is the coating on the new warranty shifters improved or it is the same delicate junk?

Is the coating on the new warranty shifters improved or it is the same delicate junk?
Its not coating. Its a black piece of plastic like it should have been originally. Just got mine done like 2 months ago! Wondered the same thing until I saw the entire part was replaced with a molded black piece. Otherwise it would just start peeling and they'd be replacing them all again soon!

Back