Fixing the "clunk" yourself.

M3Master is right. We live in a time where every little thing needs to be done following protocol, else it gives another entity (even an internal one) the opportunity to say "well, that decision wasn't approved" or the equivalent thereof which then puts all the risk on the maker of the decision. Because Stellantis hasn't acknowledged that there is a problem, the dealerships cannot practically apply a fix (even if it makes sense), because then they assume risk that shouldn't be their responsibility to assume. What really needs to happen is to get a protest going outside the plant with people holding signs that read "fix our driveline clunks" and "improve our anti-theft systems". Even just one or two people might be enough.
Agreed but Stallantis has actually acknowledged that there is a problem and is actively telling dealerships not to do anything about it as they “work on a permanent fix.”

The Ram cares rep on here has asked me to tell the dealer again on my next visit, open a case number and then work with both Ram cares and the dealer to solve the issue. Honestly it’s horrendous customer service to put that amount of focus on the consumer to have to push for a fix (whether temp or permanent).

I only put 600-700 miles a month on the truck so maybe by the time of my next oil change they will have a better answer.

Agreed but Stallantis has actually acknowledged that there is a problem and is actively telling dealerships not to do anything about it as they “work on a permanent fix.”

The Ram cares rep on here has asked me to tell the dealer again on my next visit, open a case number and then work with both Ram cares and the dealer to solve the issue. Honestly it’s horrendous customer service to put that amount of focus on the consumer to have to push for a fix (whether temp or permanent).

I only put 600-700 miles a month on the truck so maybe by the time of my next oil change they will have a better answer.
Completely agree. Is there any formal acknowledgement (star bulletin, etc.) that you've discovered that acknowledges that there's a problem or have they only informally agreed via direct messages to customers/dealerships?

I can’t speak to the Gen 2 or 3, but this clunk was/is extremely prevalent on the Gen 1 Raptors. Fix as the same as the author describes.

FYI there's a bulletin on this at your dealership‼️ I had an easier way to fix it‼️
I made a appointment for my oil change, front an rear differential fluid change , new wipers and asked my dealer to Lube the drive shaft as they was aware of the issue and did it on the warranty no questions asked ‼️🤷🏾‍♂️
Also for those not aware the safety Recall Y80 are in but take a while to load‼️

Attachments

• 20220410_061127.jpg
    20220410_061127.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 20220410_061540.jpg
    20220410_061540.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 177
Completely agree. Is there any formal acknowledgement (star bulletin, etc.) that you've discovered that acknowledges that there's a problem or have they only informally agreed via direct messages to customers/dealerships?
Yes there is‼️

Just tell them to grease it on your next oil change there's a bulletin on it I placed my invoice in here also the recall software is out‼️

Good info in this thread. Mine does this. I just emailed my dealer which is in a small town about and hour and a half from me. Gonna have them fix this. Thanks guys.

FYI there's a bulletin on this at your dealership‼️ I had an easier way to fix it‼️
I made a appointment for my oil change, front an rear differential fluid change , new wipers and asked my dealer to Lube the drive shaft as they was aware of the issue and did it on the warranty no questions asked ‼️🤷🏾‍♂️
Also for those not aware the safety Recall Y80 are in but take a while to load‼️
Where is the Star bulletin number on this receipt? I see the “as per bulletin” statement but that is usually where they print the actual number. There was also an old bulletin that was pulled back which had them lubing splines originally. Would love if something has changed in the last 30 days and also awesome of Ram cares to not post it on this thread if that’s true.

Would also be nice if this works (we know from folks doing this for over a year that it is only temporary) but two months ago when I was in I specifically asked them to lube the slip yoke and Ram corporate specifically told them not to. I saw the direct message. At which time from talking with folks on here it seemed that if you went to a dealership that was willing to ignore Ram then they would still do it… clearly not a fix.

Last edited:
Do we know what the bulletin number is for the driveshaft, or is there a link somebody can share? I figure I’ll just keep a copy on hand and have the dealer do it at every oil change (I plan on oil changes every 4,000 miles)

Where is the Star bulletin number on this receipt? I see the “as per bulletin” statement but that is usually where they print the actual number. There was also an old bulletin that was pulled back which had them lubing splines originally. Would love if something has changed in the last 30 days and also awesome of Ram cares to not post it on this thread if that’s true.

Would also be nice if this works (we know from folks doing this for over a year that it is only temporary) but two months ago when I was in I specifically asked them to lube the slip yoke and Ram corporate specifically told them not to. I saw the direct message. At which time from talking with folks on here it seemed that if you went to a dealership that was willing to ignore Ram then they would still do it… clearly not a fix.
It's listed as MiSC where the number should be I will stop by the dealership tomorrow and ask if there's a bulletin #
This is the first time I'm doing it and I will say this if the clunk happens again I will just have my dealership replace the drive shaft with a new one as it will be documented that they tried the Lube and it didn't work‼️ Even if they Lube it one more time and it comes back I have it documented 2x so on that 3rd visit they will be given me a new one‼️
Also I've had this truck for 15 months and although this clunk has been there from the beginning I just kinda got use to it and just happened to remember to get it fixed during this service ‼️

Last edited:
It's listed as MiSC where the number should be I will stop by the dealership tomorrow and ask if there's a bulletin #
This is the first time I'm doing it and I will say this if the clunk happens again I will just have my dealership replace the drive shaft with a new one as it will be documented that they tried the Lube and it didn't work‼️ Even if they Lube it one more time and it comes back I have it documented 2x so on that 3rd visit they will be given me a new one‼️
Also I've had this truck for 15 months and although this clunk has been there from the beginning I just kinda got use to it and just happened to remember to get it fixed during this service ‼️
I reached out to Ram cares to see if there is an actual Bulletin number now. I’m guessing since they put it under MISC then they just did it for you because you asked and either didn’t contact Ram or ignored their directions not too. In which case good for you and glad your dealer did something for you.

Replacing the shaft does not fix it. As I said, there were prior bulletins and directions on this issue. Specifically when I spoke to my dealer they said that was actually the original fix (replace the shaft). But the problem came back which is why Ram corporate has now told them specifically “do not replace or grease” and “engineering is working on a permanent fix” as others have posted (think I still have my receipt with that printed on it).

I hope something has changed but looking at your receipt I don’t think it has. You just have a dealer that is willing to say FU to Ram.

I reached out to Ram cares to see if there is an actual Bulletin number now. I’m guessing since they put it under MISC then they just did it for you because you asked and either didn’t contact Ram or ignored their directions not too. In which case good for you and glad your dealer did something for you.

Replacing the shaft does not fix it. As I said, there were prior bulletins and directions on this issue. Specifically when I spoke to my dealer they said that was actually the original fix (replace the shaft). But the problem came back which is why Ram corporate has now told them specifically “do not replace or grease” and “engineering is working on a permanent fix” as others have posted (think I still have my receipt with that printed on it).

I hope something has changed but looking at your receipt I don’t think it has. You just have a dealer that is willing to say FU to Ram.
Gotcha‼️

Good info in this thread. Mine does this. I just emailed my dealer which is in a small town about and hour and a half from me. Gonna have them fix this. Thanks guys.
Just heard back from my dealer. Got the official response: the engineers are working on a solution. Since they don’t have one yet they won’t do this simple repair. I’m too tired to argue tonight. I just said thanks and hung up. :cautious:

Just heard back from my dealer. Got the official response: the engineers are working on a solution. Since they don’t have one yet they won’t do this simple repair. I’m too tired to argue tonight. I just said thanks and hung up. :cautious:
They've been "working on a solution" for a long time now. I'm sure this is on the engineers' to do list right below perfecting the hydrogen internal combustion engine.

Reactions: Two
Yup. Same response here. No bulletin, no fix, won’t grease or replace.

Sorry i’m late to this party but i could have swore i read a thread here somewhere that someone did a mod that came with a tranny tune and that eliminated the clunk.

Sorry i’m late to this party but i could have swore i read a thread here somewhere that someone did a mod that came with a tranny tune and that eliminated the clunk.
It has to do with the splines in the driveshaft not being lubricated properly. I just received the grease and crimp tool and will hopefully tackle this issue this weekend.

Back