Anyone go from a Raptor R to a TRX?

MCooper

TRX Fiend
Joined
May 25, 2021
Messages
236
Gallery
8
Reaction score
115
Location
Miami, FL
Current Ride
Raptor R
Current Ride #2
Raptor R/TRX/EscaladeV/GT3/G63
My TRX arrives this week but I currently have a 25 Raptor R that I love. Curious on who has had both and pro's vs. con's of each
Strictly road and highway use

R has custom work with paint, wheels, tires, 3 inch lift and carson exhaust plus full PPF so its loud and fund
 
That would be a step back , a downgrade. Seen couple switching to R from TRX but not the other way around. Plenty switched from the POS gen 2 Raptor ( me included) but never seen R owner getting a TRX. Whatever floats your boat and from your sig looks like money is not something you dont have. Keep both for a while. R will always fetch a premium
 
That would be a step back , a downgrade. Seen couple switching to R from TRX but not the other way around. Plenty switched from the POS gen 2 Raptor ( me included) but never seen R owner getting a TRX. Whatever floats your boat and from your sig looks like money is not something you dont have. Keep both for a while. R will always fetch a premium
I was wondering that as well. Thanks for the reply. I don't think I wanna take the TRX just to try it out as it end up decreasing value once I drive it off the lot. Owning 2 pickups isn't ideal for me honestly
 
That would be a step back , a downgrade. Seen couple switching to R from TRX but not the other way around. Plenty switched from the POS gen 2 Raptor ( me included) but never seen R owner getting a TRX. Whatever floats your boat and from your sig looks like money is not something you dont have. Keep both for a while. R will always fetch a premium
Never quite got this mentality... and I've also had both.

2023-24 Raptor Rs can be found everywhere for low-mid $80's just like the TRX. You can find them cheaper than that too. Just usually with stories or a damage history (just like TRX). The Ford/GM 10R80 transmission is absolute trash and the interior isn't nearly as nice as the TRX. They are also not as easy to drive around as the TRX, in my opinion. The Ram is a better truck by a large margin for me. My only gripe on the TRX is no 2WD (for regular road use during the summer and the occasional burn out).
 
The TRX is better! Do what you want that works for you. Did not like driving the raptor r myself. Really comes down to personal preferences.
 
That would be a step back , a downgrade. Seen couple switching to R from TRX but not the other way around. Plenty switched from the POS gen 2 Raptor ( me included) but never seen R owner getting a TRX. Whatever floats your boat and from your sig looks like money is not something you dont have. Keep both for a while. R will always fetch a premium
I’ve actually seen quite a few posts online of people making the move from an R to TRX. I have a ‘27 TRX rolling down the line right now to replace my ‘25 Raptor V6. I know the engine will be a huge improvement but I’m still not quite sure it’s the right move, wondering if I’ll miss the Raptor which I do love. (Just wish it had the V8 rumble)
 
My TRX arrives this week but I currently have a 25 Raptor R that I love. Curious on who has had both and pro's vs. con's of each
Strictly road and highway use

R has custom work with paint, wheels, tires, 3 inch lift and carson exhaust plus full PPF so its loud and fund
This was just discussed last week and I believe you even commented on the discussion.

Here’s a copy and paste of what I posted there:

The TRX wins on the interior and sound. The TRX has a better transmission.
The R wins on speed, on and off road performance. The R wins on value/resale. The R is more nimble/lighter. Aftermarket for the R is better.
If I have to pick one truck- it’s the R due to performance and value. Love them both. Will be trading the 23 TRX for my ordered 27 and keeping the R.

Addendum. Just swapped out my R for the TRX this weekend after detailing the R. Immediately feel the ride difference on the street and overall handling- much in favor of the R. The TRX feels so big and heavy compared to the R. Now- I do have Eibach springs to level the truck and 37” BFG KO2s- so that certainly plays a role in my ride quality.
 
This was just discussed last week and I believe you even commented on the discussion.

Here’s a copy and paste of what I posted there:

The TRX wins on the interior and sound. The TRX has a better transmission.
The R wins on speed, on and off road performance. The R wins on value/resale. The R is more nimble/lighter. Aftermarket for the R is better.
If I have to pick one truck- it’s the R due to performance and value. Love them both. Will be trading the 23 TRX for my ordered 27 and keeping the R.

Addendum. Just swapped out my R for the TRX this weekend after detailing the R. Immediately feel the ride difference on the street and overall handling- much in favor of the R. The TRX feels so big and heavy compared to the R. Now- I do have Eibach springs to level the truck and 37” BFG KO2s- so that certainly plays a role in my ride quality.
yes, thank you!
 
I’ve actually seen quite a few posts online of people making the move from an R to TRX. I have a ‘27 TRX rolling down the line right now to replace my ‘25 Raptor V6. I know the engine will be a huge improvement but I’m still not quite sure it’s the right move, wondering if I’ll miss the Raptor which I do love. (Just wish it had the V8 rumble)

I'm in the same boat and have driven the R, there's a barely pre-owned one for sale down the street that I could've swapped to instead of waiting my TRX order. But nah. The Raptor is a great package for $80-90k. But with the dealer premium, the R is absolutely not a $125-135k truck (interior specfifically) IMO. All us truck bros always want to talk about how the R is 10% better off-road and faster in a dirt drag and this and that...guess what, you're in the interior every day you drive it no matter what. And none of us can say the same for being off-road at 80mph. So maybe it's soft to talk about the interior, but for 6 figures, I'll be soft. And the R leaves a lot on the table in that dept.

I'm in the minority on the 37s too, had em (factory C range) and hated em. Way too skinny and the trucks with the 37s have a more top-heavy feeling.
 
Last edited:
This was just discussed last week and I believe you even commented on the discussion.

Here’s a copy and paste of what I posted there:

The TRX wins on the interior and sound. The TRX has a better transmission.
The R wins on speed, on and off road performance. The R wins on value/resale. The R is more nimble/lighter. Aftermarket for the R is better.
If I have to pick one truck- it’s the R due to performance and value. Love them both. Will be trading the 23 TRX for my ordered 27 and keeping the R.

Addendum. Just swapped out my R for the TRX this weekend after detailing the R. Immediately feel the ride difference on the street and overall handling- much in favor of the R. The TRX feels so big and heavy compared to the R. Now- I do have Eibach springs to level the truck and 37” BFG KO2s- so that certainly plays a role in my ride quality.
The R market is just propped up by ADM, as a percentage of used vs new (w markup) value, seems like it's on par with the TRX market. Plenty of guys in here have been posting about being happy w trade-in values.

Supposedly the 27 has a markedly improved ride as well, we will have to see how true that is.
 
I'm in the same boat and have driven the R, there's a barely pre-owned one for sale down the street that I could've swapped to instead of waiting my TRX order. But nah. The Raptor is a great package for $80-90k. But with the dealer premium, the R is absolutely not a $125-135k truck (interior specfifically) IMO. And truck bros always want to talk about how the R is 10% better off-road and faster in a dirt drag and this and that...guess what, you're in the interior every day you drive it no matter what. And none of us can say the same for being off-road at 80mph. So maybe it's soft to talk about the interior, but for 6 figures, I'll be soft. And the R leaves a lot on the table in that dept.

I'm in the minority on the 37s too, had em (factory C range) and hated em. Way too skinny and the trucks with the 37s have a more top-heavy feeling.
The 37’s is one of the reasons I’m hesitant to swap out my 802a Raptor haha, I love the look personally. I know a lot of people throw 37’s on a TRX but to me it just doesn’t look as good.

Fuel range is another thing I think of, yeah I know I shouldn’t be thinking of it with a $100k truck but I do. Then again my lifetime mpg average in the Raptor is sitting at 12.5 after 11k miles so that clearly not great.

Then we come to the front end which they tamed down a bit compared to the previous years, still not sold it looks better than raptors front end.

Aluminum ford body vs steel ram body holding up in MN winters is another concern.

Interior and sound is far superior for the TRX. I want a loud truck that’s fun to drive. Even comparing the R to the TRX the TRX sounds night and day better. All my driving is around town mostly and hauling the family to cabin or on road trips, so off-road means nothing to me unfortunately. Rambling on and talking out loud trying justify my decision haha.
 
I'm in the same boat and have driven the R, there's a barely pre-owned one for sale down the street that I could've swapped to instead of waiting my TRX order. But nah. The Raptor is a great package for $80-90k. But with the dealer premium, the R is absolutely not a $125-135k truck (interior specfifically) IMO. All us truck bros always want to talk about how the R is 10% better off-road and faster in a dirt drag and this and that...guess what, you're in the interior every day you drive it no matter what. And none of us can say the same for being off-road at 80mph. So maybe it's soft to talk about the interior, but for 6 figures, I'll be soft. And the R leaves a lot on the table in that dept.

I'm in the minority on the 37s too, had em (factory C range) and hated em. Way too skinny and the trucks with the 37s have a more top-heavy feeling.
I off road at 80 in my TRX and love it only have issues where any production truck would. It is all in what people prefer! Have herd over and over the TRX feels heavy mine doesn't feel that way to me. Have herd the raptor r feels faster not how it felt to me. At the end of the day just drive what makes you happy.
 
i tried buying an R, just because I've never been a truck guy so didn't care about brands. the local ford dealership wouldn't even let me test drive the R, they wanted $35K over MSRP and treated me like they were doing me a favor by talking to me. i finally got to drive a used 24 from my buddy's @ BMW, they had one with 6k miles looked very clean. i got in, noticed the AC didn't work, i really liked the power delivery, the interior felt cheap compared to the TRX. i would've liked to own a 25 or newer if they sold it at sticker but that seems to be impossible and i will never contribute to ADMS, so value wise TRX is the better truck for me. others might think differently
 
I switched from a 2025 Raptor R over to a 27 TRX. Don't get me wrong I absolutely loved the Raptor R but I had a ton of issues with it. A few things that stand out for me.

1. Raptor R was much more floaty feeling over the TRX. Where the TRX feels much heavier and more like a truck if that makes sense. Highway speeds you could feel it much more.
2. Fit and Finish on the TRX interior is lightyears ahead of the Raptor R.
3. My Raptor R had transmission problems almost immediately after 1000 miles. It was knocking, hard shifts, 4-8 second delay when you shifted into drive and it would jolt, trans was rebuilt 3 times and Ford refused to replace it - truck only had 12,000 miles.
4. The Raptor R always had some issue with it - whether mechanical, suspension, or recall. Great truck but the 10R80 transmission needs a bit more work before they slap a supercharger on it and send it out into the wild.


IMG_2013.webp
IMG_1444.webp
IMG_1358.webp
 
Did not like driving the raptor r myself.
OP please disregard what he says. he never owned one . guy has a habit of overstating facts

"I have never owned a raptor to compare"

 
OP please disregard what he says. he never owned one . guy has a habit of overstating facts

"I have never owned a raptor to compare"

Never said I owned one said I drove and didn't like. You are something else! Just can't handle that you are wrong can you. This going to become a thing now. Going to lurk in my every post trying to get me because you made yourself look like a dipshit. Upset the scalper now he can't let it go! Guy is online in ghost mode hiding. Thought you went back under your bridge because we were all too poor to talk to. OP do as you like but be careful taking any advice from that dude.
 
Never said I owned one said I drove and didn't like. You are something else! Just can't handle that you are wrong can you. This going to become a thing now. Going to lurk in my every post trying to get me because you made yourself look like a dipshit. Upset the scalper now he can't let it go! Guy is online in ghost mode hiding. Thought you went back under your bridge because we were all too poor to talk to. OP do as you like but be careful taking any advice from that dude.
how the heck do I lurk in every post when I was the one posting 1st in the thread; I was 1st to post after OP? How can you have an opinion if you never owned an R? "ghost mode hiding"..lol? I gave no advice and unlike you I stated that coming from Gen 2 Raptor was no brainer but R to TRX I havent seen many posts. Trying to offend me by calling me a "scalper" while you know nothing about me is hilarious. But compared to all the other stupid stuff you spew , calling me "scalper" makes you sound like you are coming from academia.
Point is you said "Did not like driving the raptor r myself." while you also said you never owned one.
Are you like 12 by bragging on a random forum about shit you never done?
 
I switched from a 2025 Raptor R over to a 27 TRX. Don't get me wrong I absolutely loved the Raptor R but I had a ton of issues with it. A few things that stand out for me.

1. Raptor R was much more floaty feeling over the TRX. Where the TRX feels much heavier and more like a truck if that makes sense. Highway speeds you could feel it much more.
2. Fit and Finish on the TRX interior is lightyears ahead of the Raptor R.
3. My Raptor R had transmission problems almost immediately after 1000 miles. It was knocking, hard shifts, 4-8 second delay when you shifted into drive and it would jolt, trans was rebuilt 3 times and Ford refused to replace it - truck only had 12,000 miles.
4. The Raptor R always had some issue with it - whether mechanical, suspension, or recall. Great truck but the 10R80 transmission needs a bit more work before they slap a supercharger on it and send it out into the wild.


View attachment 162763View attachment 162764View attachment 162765
great looking truck!! i love the way the way they look on black, but this is really nice!

glad a raptor owner said something, i didn't want to sit here and say things about the Raptor because i have never actually owned one but know at least 5 people that do. 3 of them have V6 raptors and 2 raptor Rs, they have told me about all the issues they have had with transmission, fuel pumps, differentials, etc. all the people i know have experienced similar issues at very early stages of owning the raptors, i have taken both my TRXs out and abused them! drove home like nothing ever happened, if you ever saw that stealth granite grey TRX on 2 wheels that was all over the internet for a bit that was me LOL the guys taking pics that day had fun, i jumped that truck at least 50 times that day and it just put a smile on my face every time, never had an issue. that would've been a gnarly insurance claim if i flipped but hey i was just testing it to see if it could do the things they said it could haha
 

TRX Forum Favs 👍

Back
Top