Any one with real-world experience TRX vs Raptor R?

bman17

TRX Fiend
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2023 BRaptor, 2022 TRX
Anyone with experience off-roading, and on-road spirited driving in TRX *and* a Raptor R, have a preference to one or the other, and why? I got the itch to go shopping and found a R at sticker. At $113.4k versus the $86k I paid for my '22 TRX, I'm honestly not sure I can justify the price difference if it's minimal differences. It's tough to come by a friend willing to lend you an R to play around with for a bit to do a real side by side.

My only complaint with the TRX so far is it handles like a boat. I remember my Gen 2 Raptor feeling a lot more nimble. Not quite as nimble as my BRaptor, but still.

I've read a couple articles saying the Raptor R is a bit faster, but I'm not too worried about that. I'll keep the TRX interior and resonance over that. Handling is big for me though, and at 90+ mph off-road I'm either more risk averse these days or the TRX does not inspire confidence like my Gen 2 did.

I've not had direct experience with an R but I do have experience back to back in a gen 3 raptor. They are more confidence inspiring in the dirt than the TRX. I think offroad performance is probably 5% difference but its how you extract it that is different. The Raptor is much more approachable while the TRX needs to be driven hard to extract performance.

All that said, unless you're high speed desert mobbing through whoops often, I'd keep the TRX. Because of how often I am in the desert, I am considering selling my TRX for an R but can't justify the change unless I can get one at MSRP with an insane APR. I paid under $80k for my 22 lvl2 TRX and got .9% which is nearly free money.

If you're paying cash, the conversation changes and I'd say jump on it. If you end up passing on the R, I have a close friend looking for one and waiting for an MSRP deal, so please share.

I've not had direct experience with an R but I do have experience back to back in a gen 3 raptor. They are more confidence inspiring in the dirt than the TRX. I think offroad performance is probably 5% difference but its how you extract it that is different. The Raptor is much more approachable while the TRX needs to be driven hard to extract performance.

All that said, unless you're high speed desert mobbing through whoops often, I'd keep the TRX. Because of how often I am in the desert, I am considering selling my TRX for an R but can't justify the change unless I can get one at MSRP with an insane APR. I paid under $80k for my 22 lvl2 TRX and got .9% which is nearly free money.

If you're paying cash, the conversation changes and I'd say jump on it. If you end up passing on the R, I have a close friend looking for one and waiting for an MSRP deal, so please share.
I'm only out for 4 trips a year. The rest of them are rock crawling to camp which I got the BRaptor for.

I hear you on the interest rate. I'm at 2.84%. That's whole 'nother angle I'm thinking about too. I cashed out for the BRaptor. I don't know if I'm ready to swallow the pill for the R. I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it. Still would have to order it and wait.
Have you considered just doing a kings upgrade? I have but I don't like the idea of having the electronics throwing an error each start up.

I'm only out for 4 trips a year. The rest of them are rock crawling to camp which I got the BRaptor for.

I hear you on the interest rate. I'm at 2.84%. That's whole 'nother angle I'm thinking about too. I cashed out for the BRaptor. I don't know if I'm ready to swallow the pill for the R. I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it. Still would have to order it and wait.
Have you considered just doing a kings upgrade? I have but I don't like the idea of having the electronics throwing an error each start up.
That's what I'm going to end up doing. Kings make a huge difference. I also need to respect the fact that the truck isn't a TT and I'll buy a Pro R 4 RZR with the money saved from not buying the R.

If you go the Kings route the screen says that the “dampening system needs service” and then flashes off on its own. No dash lights and honestly it flashes fast enough that most of the time I don’t even notice it.

How much was your bronco? I’m seeing them for like 99k near me

Brother if you want it and you can get it for sticker go for it. You know you are going to trade it in sooner than later and guaranteed the Raptor will hold better value.

I have run head to head with an R offroad and then transitioned to an air strip for a drag race in MARFA. I caught him offroad because of experience and he got me after 100ft on the drag strip. He was empty and I had 600lbs in the bed. I think the performance difference is marginal for the real world cost of both trucks. Come out to TRR in June and you can see the difference offroad as Rs will be there and they will gladly give you a ride. FYI- The Bronco Raptors are the badest trucks on the track.

You need to be a better drIver offroad with the TRX. It is a drivers truck. I had 5 years behind the wheel of Gen 2 Raptor offroad and could not imagine starting on the TRX. It will do everything my Raptor would do and it had an Icon Stage 4 suspension. There is just more pucker factor because of the power and additional weight. It is not as forgiving as the Raptor. King suspension probably evens the playing field with the R for a less experienced driver and will handle better. Just going to Eibachs, King sway bar links and a King 3rd shock makes the TRX handle alot better.

The reality is how often are you offroading for a marginal gain in performance for 20k+more. I find the TRX to be a better overall truck and strongly believe it is built better. My Raptor had 35k in warranty repairs before I got rid of it. Ford hired a QC Exec to fix the problems that plagued my truck and many of my friends trucks. Are they fixed? I hope so for all my buddies in Raptors.

I would tell you to crawl under an R and take a look. I bet it is full of rust. Look at the size of the suspension components and rear end compared to the TRX. Look at the need for limit straps. Then bounce over to Mustang forums and look at the reliability of the 5.2L. Research before you throw money at an R.

At the end of the day it comes down to which one you like better and want to pay for.

Just my 2 cents.

I played around with a R on an empty highway, very similar performance. Offroad, the R probably gets the nod, but with the power of both trucks, they are too easy to “outdrive” the suspension imo to make it matter.

Wow. Now you tell me.
If the dealer about a 1.5 years ago would have honored MSRP on a R. I would have not been in a TRX today. Then again....If there was even 1 Ford dealer willing to sell us a R at MSRP, I would not be planning a weekend trip (I hope) to go pick up our new Wrangler 392 from Mark Dodge. My wife would have gladly taken a R over the JL 392 :)

At the end of the day. It is what it is. Definitely my next vehicle will be a F350 Tremor or F450. Will also check out the new RAM HD's when they come out.

Wow. Now you tell me.
If the dealer about a 1.5 years ago would have honored MSRP on a R. I would have not been in a TRX today. Then again....If there was even 1 Ford dealer willing to sell us a R at MSRP, I would not be planning a weekend trip (I hope) to go pick up our new Wrangler 392 from Mark Dodge. My wife would have gladly taken a R over the JL 392 :)
Bro, you'll be happier with the 392, puts the BRaptor to shame with about a 2 second better 0-60. A couple of little, cheap mods and it handles like a dream (pm me when you get it if you want).

I have run head to head with an R offroad and then transitioned to an air strip for a drag race in MARFA. I caught him offroad because of experience and he got me after 100ft on the drag strip. He was empty and I had 600lbs in the bed. I think the performance difference is marginal for the real world cost of both trucks. Come out to TRR in June and you can see the difference offroad as Rs will be there and they will gladly give you a ride. FYI- The Bronco Raptors are the badest trucks on the track.

You need to be a better drIver offroad with the TRX. It is a drivers truck. I had 5 years behind the wheel of Gen 2 Raptor offroad and could not imagine starting on the TRX. It will do everything my Raptor would do and it had an Icon Stage 4 suspension. There is just more pucker factor because of the power and additional weight. It is not as forgiving as the Raptor. King suspension probably evens the playing field with the R for a less experienced driver and will handle better. Just going to Eibachs, King sway bar links and a King 3rd shock makes the TRX handle alot better.

The reality is how often are you offroading for a marginal gain in performance for 20k+more. I find the TRX to be a better overall truck and strongly believe it is built better. My Raptor had 35k in warranty repairs before I got rid of it. Ford hired a QC Exec to fix the problems that plagued my truck and many of my friends trucks. Are they fixed? I hope so for all my buddies in Raptors.

I would tell you to crawl under an R and take a look. I bet it is full of rust. Look at the size of the suspension components and rear end compared to the TRX. Look at the need for limit straps. Then bounce over to Mustang forums and look at the reliability of the 5.2L. Research before you throw money at an R.

At the end of the day it comes down to which one you like better and want to pay for.

Just my 2 cents.
2014 Gen1 with $30k+ including a Whipple/Full ICON and Deavers (even bed braces)... regretfully sold it for a 2017 Gen2 despite tuning shop "reliability" akin to an early stage tweaker Stripper.

The Gen2 was just 'different', attended Raptor Assault (before it became popular) and did some longer high speed offroad jaunts in AZ and rural NV. Kept it stock but had cam phaser issues, IWE and also a $2k rear end repair.

Took a CTD2500 'break' and planned to do full Carli/37's but the lethargic OEM Cummins/questionable transmission stories was a big change. Was amazing however running 98-102 (limiter) for hundreds of miles at 18mpg and the torque/performance at altitude (family CO trips). Wife thought it was an 'old man truck'.

Addendums and availability for a Gen3 Raptor was insane - the "R" was still a maybe, likewise $ addendums existed for a TRX however finding this forum and within minutes Granger Motors lead to $81k price locked ($93,700 sticker at delivery!). After my return from Iowa, our first 'date night' and highway 'Launch' she noted "this is perfect, angry, asshole truck" while giggling.

Seen a few R's around metro-Phoenix but alas, none at lights and only one observed going hard up an on-ramp.

Comparisons (to past Raptors).

• Not having a RWD default was the most notable offroad change, fond memories of left foot braking and pivoting my Gen2 on a whim (well, other than dry pavement - thus the $ repair!). On dirt/all off highway terrain... IMO felt the Gen2 was my best 'Dance Card' (never got the Gen1 dialed).
  • Would LOVE to experience an "R" having considered a Coyote swap with my Gen2 but deemed the 'Money Pit' factor..as noted I could go back to a built RZR (or new Pro R). Totally agree noting parts that remained and a few updated for the "R" vs the rear Dana 60 in our TRX!!
  • Agree that the TRX frame/parts are 'simply/seem built better'... and must have been an engineering challenge. Remember well that first "Sandman" commercial and being utterly shocked ...'they did it, those crazy bastards!" (fully expecting a detuned/tamer drivetrain.. instead RAM said FTW, Ford too!).
  • Likewise there are some awesome article about Dodge's construction/testing and pre-production abuse of the HELLCAT. The idea of a hand-built 5.2 reminds me of 'Beer 30', AMG and M drivetrains that don't go past 100k/etc.
  • Averaging 16k a set of OEM TRX tires (now at 42k), I'd say my driving is very aggressive and WFO multiple times daily. The 'Smiles per Mile" are outstanding with the TRX as is the allure of the HELLCAT engine (I'm in my mid 50's and the cross section of fans/discussions even at random gas stations or Valet stands is epic). Like Hayabusa's of past, no matter what buddies were riding better handling/close performance small displacement bikes... the Busa (and my ZX14r) still had unique alure. The ownership experience is well rounded including 'fan' engagement, even the memories for our Toddlers as a Daily 🚌
  • I'd love to experience a set of Kings in comparison, just difficult in our present financial state to justify right now.
  • Aftermarket and Community will NEVER even come close to the Raptor(s). Explored groups like ExpeditionXOffroad and while some TRX attend, just like my RZR choice and commonality on camping trips/Glamis trips with buddies...sometimes more anxiety being the 'odd one out' (spare parts to diagnosis/repair knowledge 'in the field').

Attachments

• Raptors.jpg
    Raptors.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
How much was your bronco? I’m seeing them for like 99k near me
I got mine for sticker at a smaller dealership in NorCal at 94k. They price hiked another 4-5k after that. Some dealer in Michigan sold one out from under me so I went on a rampage calling a bunch of dealers that had what I wanted. I definitely didn’t expect it to be 60 miles from home. You can find them across the country for invoice on Facebook’s no mark up ford group now.

If you go the Kings route the screen says that the “dampening system needs service” and then flashes off on its own. No dash lights and honestly it flashes fast enough that most of the time I don’t even notice it.
How long have you had them on now and how are you liking it for windy roads? Obviously they’re superior offroad.

How long have you had them on now and how are you liking it for windy roads? Obviously they’re superior offroad.
It’s been close to 6 months now and I freaking love the set up. The suspension is tightened up and on windy roads it feels more stable less body roll. Honestly feels like there’s a rear sway bar installed.

I ended up pulling the trigger on ordering it. I’m super anti-flipping, but I got to test drive a friend’s R thru NCRR and it was definitely unique. I’m gonna try to swing having all 3 for a bit and I’ll offload one eventually. Assuming the dealership isn’t full of it, the way I found it was by going on no mark up fords and seeing who was posting regularly and having seemingly good customer interactions. I built a relationship with them just chatting on behalf of some buddies about other BRaptors, and when I got the urge I tapped them about the R. They had 3 allocations and our group tapped the other two allocations the same day. I hope the strategy helps you in your search.

I ended up pulling the trigger on ordering it. I’m super anti-flipping, but I got to test drive a friend’s R thru NCRR and it was definitely unique. I’m gonna try to swing having all 3 for a bit and I’ll offload one eventually. Assuming the dealership isn’t full of it, the way I found it was by going on no mark up fords and seeing who was posting regularly and having seemingly good customer interactions. I built a relationship with them just chatting on behalf of some buddies about other BRaptors, and when I got the urge I tapped them about the R. They had 3 allocations and our group tapped the other two allocations the same day. I hope the strategy helps you in your search.
Thanks! I’ve done the same but decided I can’t justify it right now. If interest rates were low I could but I hate the idea of paying over 5% interest on a vehicle. It’s just the principle.

Oh and forgot to say congrats!

I picked up an '24 R a couple weeks ago. Was on a wait list 6 months before ford officially opened the order banks. I was expecting to take delivery around Christmas 2022, but that obviously didn't happen. I was at a dealer getting my wife's SUV serviced and they had a TRX out front without a price. I asked the sales guy how much it was and he offered to let me drive it. I was reluctant since I had the R on order but finally gave in. Once I drove it I was hooked. I found a new TRX the following week and figured I would have fun with it until the R was delivered.

I had the TRX way longer than expected, but fell in love with it. I honestly can't think of anything to complain about. It was an awesome truck. I only have 120 miles on the R, so I'm still getting used to it. It's a completely different experience though. It's not as loud and doesn't have the supercharger whine. The fit and finish isn't up to the TRX. The interior despite changes for 24 still isn't as nice as the TRX. The driving experience is also very different. The TRX wanted to jump from a stop. A little throttle input and it would go. The R requires way more throttle but is deceivingly fast. It pulls for way longer than the TRX too. The ford crushes the TRX in suspension. It is noticeably better even on asphalt or going over speed bumps.

For me, the exclusivity of the R is what keeps me happy. There were a half dozen guys with TRXs in town but I'm the only R.

I picked up an '24 R a couple weeks ago. Was on a wait list 6 months before ford officially opened the order banks. I was expecting to take delivery around Christmas 2022, but that obviously didn't happen. I was at a dealer getting my wife's SUV serviced and they had a TRX out front without a price. I asked the sales guy how much it was and he offered to let me drive it. I was reluctant since I had the R on order but finally gave in. Once I drove it I was hooked. I found a new TRX the following week and figured I would have fun with it until the R was delivered.

I had the TRX way longer than expected, but fell in love with it. I honestly can't think of anything to complain about. It was an awesome truck. I only have 120 miles on the R, so I'm still getting used to it. It's a completely different experience though. It's not as loud and doesn't have the supercharger whine. The fit and finish isn't up to the TRX. The interior despite changes for 24 still isn't as nice as the TRX. The driving experience is also very different. The TRX wanted to jump from a stop. A little throttle input and it would go. The R requires way more throttle but is deceivingly fast. It pulls for way longer than the TRX too. The ford crushes the TRX in suspension. It is noticeably better even on asphalt or going over speed bumps.

For me, the exclusivity of the R is what keeps me happy. There were a half dozen guys with TRXs in town but I'm the only R.
Good review, thanks for posting

Reactions: JTR
Back