2021 Raptor....Nope, TRX for the win

cllrmar

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
Ordered both the Ram TRX and Raptor about the same time. The TRX came in at the end of June, the Raptor just showed up today at the dealership. Went to the Ford dealership with an open mind despite knowing how the TRX compared with my previous gen Raptors. Not even a comparable IMO. The Raptor interior is smaller, cheaper looking and that new shifter felt like it was going to fall apart when I shifted gears. The Nav screen was a step above the TRX but not as robust with options such as Performance pages. The Raptor I ordered included the 37" performance package so overall height was similar to my TRX with 37s however the Ram hood and cab feels much higher(see reference pics). Power - do I even need to talk about that. Exterior - love the factory 37" option but that was it, the Raptor still uses a traditional antenna...WHY?!?! The only real advantage I'll give the Raptor was it drives smaller then the TRX. Anyone on the fence I strongly urge to drive and look at both in an unbiased manner and you will see the TRX hands down is the overall winner. What I can't figure out is why the Ford Raptor Forum folks are all excited for this new gen.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 455
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 292
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 278
  • Pic 4.jpg
    Pic 4.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 291
Both nice trucks but I agree TRX for the win....When I got my truck ac couple weeks ago I was shocked at the difference in rear leg room....the Ram is huge!....I went ahead and cancelled my Raptor order, not even gonna be a thought....I was gonna trade my 21 for one of my incoming 22's but likely won't....your dealer will sell that truck in a heartbeat I'm sure....

3B3E2E2D-CEAD-4C66-B7DA-47E8DBCE5357.jpeg
They a
Are the front seat pushed all the way to the rear? My grandfather’s BroHam had the same interior just more room in the back .
Raptor pic is with seat almost all the way back. Attached pic is with Ram passenger seat 100% back. The legroom definitely feels a bigger in the TRX.

Hi,
Please let me know if you are not gonna pick it up and it can be had for msrp?. My brother is looking for one and is ready to purchase

• Haha
Reactions: ceb
Ordered both the Ram TRX and Raptor about the same time. The TRX came in at the end of June, the Raptor just showed up today at the dealership. Went to the Ford dealership with an open mind despite knowing how the TRX compared with my previous gen Raptors. Not even a comparable IMO. The Raptor interior is smaller, cheaper looking and that new shifter felt like it was going to fall apart when I shifted gears. The Nav screen was a step above the TRX but not as robust with options such as Performance pages. The Raptor I ordered included the 37" performance package so overall height was similar to my TRX with 37s however the Ram hood and cab feels much higher(see reference pics). Power - do I even need to talk about that. Exterior - love the factory 37" option but that was it, the Raptor still uses a traditional antenna...WHY?!?! The only real advantage I'll give the Raptor was it drives smaller then the TRX. Anyone on the fence I strongly urge to drive and look at both in an unbiased manner and you will see the TRX hands down is the overall winner. What I can't figure out is why the Ford Raptor Forum folks are all excited for this new gen.

I actually like the longer vertical screen in the TRX vs the large square in the Ford's. Guess that is just personal preference.

You are being bias here. Let’s be fair. The gen 3 Raptor has 1 thing that the TRX never has. It is the trombone. No matter how loud your mouth is, having an instrument makes you look like a pro.

How much was the Raptor? Or did I miss this somewhere?

How much was the Raptor? Or did I miss this somewhere?
It’s pretty much as same as the TRX if you go with the 37 package, but don’t even think about having couple grand discount like you can get from the TRX. MSRP would be your best luck

It’s pretty much as same as the TRX if you go with the 37 package, but don’t even think about having couple grand discount like you can get from the TRX. MSRP would be your best luck
I don’t see the draw then. They did upgrade the rear end to compete but not the engine. So then how much do we think this 37 Raptor with a real motor will cost? Im guessing a lot more than the TRX. at least $20k more

You are being bias here. Let’s be fair. The gen 3 Raptor has 1 thing that the TRX never has. It is the trombone. No matter how loud your mouth is, having an instrument makes you look like a pro.
I know it's old news but I dont get tired of watching TFL when they talk over and over about how cool that trombone is and how at the "sport" setting "it will scare people on the street".... it's funny and sad at the sametime. The fake "V8 noise" the Raptor's EcoBoost makes is as convincing as Audi rings on a VW Jetta

So glad you posted this. I was going back and forth between the two. I do like the dash, Speedo, center console in the Ford better, but overall I wasn’t sold on much else but the lane centering/copilot 2.0, door keypad (which I use a lot), and the mpg. To me the TRX exterior looks better hands down; it just looks sleek and muscular along with the insane power train. I just ordered my white TRX, but the almost pulled the trigger on a white Raptor just like the one you ordered.

So glad you posted this. I was going back and forth between the two. I do like the dash, Speedo, center console in the Ford better, but overall I wasn’t sold on much else but the lane centering/copilot 2.0, door keypad (which I use a lot), and the mpg. To me the TRX exterior looks better hands down; it just looks sleek and muscular along with the insane power train. I just ordered my white TRX, but the almost pulled the trigger on a white Raptor just like the one you ordered.

Interesting, I don't love the dash on the Ford, and not a fan of the all digital speedometer. Always interesting to hear other points of view, I always thought people thought the Ram interior was hands down the best.

Interesting, I don't love the dash on the Ford, and not a fan of the all digital speedometer. Always interesting to hear other points of view, I always thought people thought the Ram interior was hands down the best.
Note: I’ve owned a 2010 2500 Lone Star, and 2013 3500 SLT before a 2017 F250 King Ranch.

I want to like the RAM interior more. I can’t tell you how many times I was told, or heard on the videos, about how much better the RAM interior is than the competition. It’s definitely better than the GM products. I’m just partial to the interior of the Ford. My wife insists she likes the Ford interior better too.

Personally, my issue is first with the gauge cluster. After driving the Ford, the Ram’s seems clustered (no pun intended!). The Ford’s just seems cleaner, more cohesive, and easier on the eyes. This kind of goes hand in hand with the red lighting, maybe it just seems more aggressive in the RAM. The large RAM screen is nice, but feels out of place with the piano black trim against the other materials. To me the Ford, at least the 2021’s + , give me the sensation of a uncluttered, open, modern contemporary living room.

On the Ram, my favorite Laramie Longhorn package, but again something about the cluster is too busy.

I’ll have to update this once I spend a good amount of time in the TRX. The last RAM I sat in for a few min was 2021 1500 Sport, followed by 2-3 min rushed in a TRX that was sold, but the new owners were kind enough to let me sit in it while they wrapped up their paper work.

Sorry, just got back from my sons baseball practice. MSRP of raptor was $82,980. TRX MSRP was slightly more at 90k. To those asking my buddy ended up buying the Raptor. Ford still doesn’t put a liner on their rear wells which ends up severely damaged the first time you go off roading(my previous Gen raptor I had to linex wheel wells). Ford is very unpolished. Ram has really thought of all the little details. In regards to ford gauge cluster - it looks very cartoonish which is odd as center screen was very sharp and of high quality. Ford rushed this one. Previous raptors were priced around 72k which would’ve been a big enough difference to quantify lower quality materials and the 450hp motor however at 83k the TRX will probably rain as the leader of the super trucks. I do miss the support the manufactures/tuners have for the Raptors though…ie fox, svc off road, RPG, etc…my wish is we put more pressure on the aftermarket companies to give us the goods for our trucks like shocks, springs, tuners for 37” tires so the off road Trx guys can show the Raptor guys what’s up.

Back