2021 Raptor....Nope, TRX for the win

Note: I’ve owned a 2010 2500 Lone Star, and 2013 3500 SLT before a 2017 F250 King Ranch.

I want to like the RAM interior more. I can’t tell you how many times I was told, or heard on the videos, about how much better the RAM interior is than the competition. It’s definitely better than the GM products. I’m just partial to the interior of the Ford. My wife insists she likes the Ford interior better too.

Personally, my issue is first with the gauge cluster. After driving the Ford, the Ram’s seems clustered (no pun intended!). The Ford’s just seems cleaner, more cohesive, and easier on the eyes. This kind of goes hand in hand with the red lighting, maybe it just seems more aggressive in the RAM. The large RAM screen is nice, but feels out of place with the piano black trim against the other materials. To me the Ford, at least the 2021’s + , give me the sensation of a uncluttered, open, modern contemporary living room.

On the Ram, my favorite Laramie Longhorn package, but again something about the cluster is too busy.

I’ll have to update this once I spend a good amount of time in the TRX. The last RAM I sat in for a few min was 2021 1500 Sport, followed by 2-3 min rushed in a TRX that was sold, but the new owners were kind enough to let me sit in it while they wrapped up their paper work.
Note: I’ve owned a 2010 2500 Lone Star, and 2013 3500 SLT before a 2017 F250 King Ranch.

I want to like the RAM interior more. I can’t tell you how many times I was told, or heard on the videos, about how much better the RAM interior is than the competition. It’s definitely better than the GM products. I’m just partial to the interior of the Ford. My wife insists she likes the Ford interior better too.

Personally, my issue is first with the gauge cluster. After driving the Ford, the Ram’s seems clustered (no pun intended!). The Ford’s just seems cleaner, more cohesive, and easier on the eyes. This kind of goes hand in hand with the red lighting, maybe it just seems more aggressive in the RAM. The large RAM screen is nice, but feels out of place with the piano black trim against the other materials. To me the Ford, at least the 2021’s + , give me the sensation of a uncluttered, open, modern contemporary living room.

On the Ram, my favorite Laramie Longhorn package, but again something about the cluster is too busy.

I’ll have to update this once I spend a good amount of time in the TRX. The last RAM I sat in for a few min was 2021 1500 Sport, followed by 2-3 min rushed in a TRX that was sold, but the new owners were kind enough to let me sit in it while they wrapped up their paper work.
I initially shared your sediment…the TRX cluster looked busy compared to the Gen 2. But compared to the Gen 3 raptor the TRX cluster is more Porsche like while the Raptor is more like a Tesla cluster with low resolution.

Door key pad? With the RAM all you do is grab the handle with the key fob in your possession. It’s doesn’t get much better.

I initially shared your sediment…the TRX cluster looked busy compared to the Gen 2. But compared to the Gen 3 raptor the TRX cluster is more Porsche like while the Raptor is more like a Tesla cluster with low resolution.
Sediment Ha ha ha ! An appropriate misspeak!

Door key pad? With the RAM all you do is grab the handle with the key fob in your possession. It’s doesn’t get much better.
Poster was referring to the Keypad(PIN number a user selects to unlock truck, typically Ford mounts then on the exterior pillar), yes it’s old school but comes in handy. When I go mountain biking I would leave my key fob in the truck as I always feared I would lose on the trail. Nowadays you can use your phone to remote unlock so don’t quite see the keypad as a deal killer.

Basically what @cllrmar said. I use this multiple times a week. When I go running, or workout at the gym, I don’t bring my phone, keys, or wallet with me. I use the keypad. I also can’t tell you how many times I’m doing stuff outside, I need to grab something from my truck, but don’t have my keys. Just pop in the code, and get in and out without having to go look inside the house for my keys. It’s a bit crazy, but I seriously I don’t look forward to having to do without it.

At least it sounds like I can access the TRX with my phone. That will be helpful for half the times I use the keypad. I’ll just have to deal with the other times, unless there’s an app for the Apple Watch.

I’ll take the Porsche look! 😀 Which btw, the new Porsche 911’s have some of my favorite gauges. I’ll concede that in the beginning I was really into Ford’s Gen3 gauges, but after quite a few videos, something about the RPM’s, and not having the digital speedo centered was kind of bothering me. The other thing I can’t stand is Ford’s piped in sound. My diesel pickup doesn’t have it, but the other Ford products I’ve test driven do, and it’s really annoying.

Basically what @cllrmar said. I use this multiple times a week. When I go running, or workout at the gym, I don’t bring my phone, keys, or wallet with me. I use the keypad. I also can’t tell you how many times I’m doing stuff outside, I need to grab something from my truck, but don’t have my keys. Just pop in the code, and get in and out without having to go look inside the house for my keys. It’s a bit crazy, but I seriously I don’t look forward to having to do without it.

At least it sounds like I can access the TRX with my phone. That will be helpful for half the times I use the keypad. I’ll just have to deal with the other times, unless there’s an app for the Apple Watch.
Your good man, Apple Watch has the uconnect app which allows you to unlock/lock/start/stop/check gas tank level/location.

Attachments

• E0693B01-6639-48A4-806F-7851302D2648.jpeg
    E0693B01-6639-48A4-806F-7851302D2648.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 18

I enjoyed leaving the keys in my old truck and use keypad. But then again, nobody was lookin’ to take my old truck except for my tailgate got stolen. TRX proximity sensing is good though, easily overcoming the old keypad.

Sorry, just got back from my sons baseball practice. MSRP of raptor was $82,980. TRX MSRP was slightly more at 90k. To those asking my buddy ended up buying the Raptor. Ford still doesn’t put a liner on their rear wells which ends up severely damaged the first time you go off roading(my previous Gen raptor I had to linex wheel wells). Ford is very unpolished. Ram has really thought of all the little details. In regards to ford gauge cluster - it looks very cartoonish which is odd as center screen was very sharp and of high quality. Ford rushed this one. Previous raptors were priced around 72k which would’ve been a big enough difference to quantify lower quality materials and the 450hp motor however at 83k the TRX will probably rain as the leader of the super trucks. I do miss the support the manufactures/tuners have for the Raptors though…ie fox, svc off road, RPG, etc…my wish is we put more pressure on the aftermarket companies to give us the goods for our trucks like shocks, springs, tuners for 37” tires so the off road Trx guys can show the Raptor guys what’s up.

Cartoonish is a good way to describe it. I am just a fan of actual gauges. I haven't seen a Ford screen in person yet, but would have to assume it is pretty solid. I would hope so for an $80k truck.

I must agree on the cluster. Too many info strips busy up the cluster when it leaves the factory. I went in and customized my settings. I hid both side strips which really cleaned up the speedo. You may want to look into doing the same if the display is not to your liking.

Your good man, Apple Watch has the uconnect app which allows you to unlock/lock/start/stop/check gas tank level/location.
You sir, just made my day, if not my week. I didn't know this; awesome!

I still hurt a little bit inside buying a Ram instead of a Ford for the first time in 18 years. But each day I care less. Simply too much to love about the direction Ram took, even the base 1500 interior is better than F150 now. The interior was a huge selling point for me as it’s a daily driver…or will be once this full time remote work is over. I really enjoyed my 17’ Raptor, it was a great vehicle and by the time I traded it in, loved the turbo boost sound, but I missed the growl of the V8, having owned Mustangs for years the exhaust growl is maximum smiles. I was pretty disappointed when Ford didn’t release the 21 Raptor with a V8 option, and when I got the new truck bug this year, getting such a high trade on the raptor it was an easy decision. Competition definitely makes all vehicles better IMHO-the TRX will push Ford to deliver what the customers want otherwise they will switch to Ram, honestly, I’m not sure why I had “Ford Loyalty” to begin with…I feel like I’m open to any truck now and looking more at design, features and power options I like without holding to a single line of vehicles. As I’m writing this I’m gazing at my Diamond Black TRX resting peacefully in the garage. I think I’ll give the neighbors a taste of that cold start! It’s a good time to be alive.

I know some folks are excited for the trombone exhaust but honestly it sounded like a pissed off weed wacker. Doesn't have the bass and deep grumble, hard to replicate with a 6 cylinder. Maybe they should've spent less time on R&D for the exhaust and spent more time real world testing the tailgate. All that plastic(used for measurements) will quickly get destroyed hence why most put spray-in bedliners.

Attachments

• Tailgate.jpg
    Tailgate.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 29
I must say it sounds pretty good here
It sounds a lot better then the Gen2. Very stock GTR sounding which is great. I remember reading they actually studied the GTR for sound.

Ok I have have shitty hearing….. is there a silent turbo sound I’m missing? 🙃

It sounds a lot better then the Gen2. Very stock GTR sounding which is great. I remember reading they actually studied the GTR for sound.

That is what is funny. Why would anyone want a truck to sound like a Nissan supercar. And I love the love the GTR.

I guess it sounds ok, but the TRX sounds way better.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back