Word of Warning on Tonneaus for the ‘27

ThreadSavage

TRX Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2021
Messages
10
Gallery
1
Reaction score
20
Location
Indy
Current Ride
2021 TRX
My 2021 TRX came with a Mopar trifold vinyl cover that I immediately removed, but didn’t sell. It had been in storage for several years.

When my 2027 arrived, I figured I’d at least check if that old cover would fit. It DID seat on there correctly, and there’s 4 plastic clamps that latch it in place, and all 4 seemed to engage properly and appeared to be seated in the perfect spots. I did notice the cover appeared ever so slightly too small. It still covered the entire bed, but I figured it would just leak worse than usual in a car wash.

Soon as I got on the highway, I heard a loud noise, and it was that tonneau flying off the back. Looked like an inner tube flying away from a speed boat in my rear view.

Luckily it was like 5 in the morning, and no one was on the road behind me. The cover had been in like-new condition, and it wasn’t that the clamps were faulty, it was just barely too small, leaving enough of a gap that it was able to catch air and fly off.

My bed rails were bent in 4 spots, which were easily straightened with my palm and some effort. The plastic rail covers smoothed back out with a heat gun.

Just trying to save someone from committing the same error with this or a more expensive bed cover.
 
Hmmmm... Interesting🤔 I just put mine on yesterday(from a '21)...
May have to reconsider options...Ugh

Glad truck was OK and noone behind you hurt either!!!
 
If I had to take a guess it has to do with the cover sitting in storage, possibly shrinking? Good measure when these types of materials sit, it’s best to leave them in the sun fully opened before installing. Jeep tops recommend this for this reason, probably similar case here
 
LOL took the one off of my 2027 as it is JUNK! Put the Line X heavily coated version on. Only an idiot would use the crap Mopar one! I carry 2 sea bags of tools in mine, about 5k worth! That POS I could cut open with a spoon!
 
If I had to take a guess it has to do with the cover sitting in storage, possibly shrinking? Good measure when these types of materials sit, it’s best to leave them in the sun fully opened before installing. Jeep tops recommend this for this reason, probably similar case here
I’m assuming this was a hard cover not a vinyl one.
 
Yeah I skipped it. The new diamondback switchback looks great, and a 3-5 min install. Going that route for sure.
 

TRX Forum Favs 👍

Back
Top