k3ith99

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
'22 TRX
Current Ride #2
'23 Porsche Cayenne GTS Coupe
The front windows on my truck just have the factory tint. Same with the rears. I would like at a minimum to have the fronts match the rear, but I'm leaning towards getting the rears a little darker and then having the fronts match.

Does anyone know what % tint the rear windows have?

This discussion is happening right now on the 5th Gen forum too. Some say 20%, some say 25% (but the 25% looks a little lighter). So 20% seems spot-on.

Rear are around 20% (closer to around 23% for mopars the last time we used our tint meter) on suv/trucks and vans from the factory and is tinted glass, front windows are 100% (untinted).

Wouldn’t a reputable tint shop have a device for measuring the tint so that they could match the factory tint?

Wouldn’t a reputable tint shop have a device for measuring the tint so that they could match the factory tint?
Yes BUT they don’t make tint like that. Its usually standard percentages like 5, 10, 15, 18, 20, 35, 50, 70, 80 and 100

Yes BUT they don’t make tint like that. Its usually standard percentages like 5, 10, 15, 18, 20, 35, 50, 70, 80 and 100
Right. I didn't think they would measure the tint and realize it was 22.3895% and then go match that. I was assuming they would measure it, and then install the closest they had without going darker.

Right. I didn't think they would measure the tint and realize it was 22.3895% and then go match that. I was assuming they would measure it, and then install the closest they had without going darker.
They do normally and usually its close but its 2 different types of film, dyed factory glass and either dyed plastic film or actual tinted plastic film. It could meter the same and still look different, plus the back half would still look darker because of factors like non tinted windshield or if tinted its far lighter so more bright light in the front, interior colors ect.

Thanks everyone. From all the responses it seems like the rears are about 20%. I know if I put 20% on the fronts, they will still look a little lighter due to the light coming in from the windshield. Don't think I'd want to go for 15% and have the fronts look darker though.

My shop did 25% on the front to match the rear tint. I’m really happy with it.
IMG_3004.jpeg

IMG_2943.jpeg

The truck is going in for at least front window tints on Thursday. Maybe all 4 windows, we'll see.

Many trucks/SUVs come solar ray tinted in the front from the factory around 70% to block UV rays. When you do 20% it is very close to factory tint but tests a hair darker then factory with a meter and from some angles you can see the fronts are slightly darker. If you do 25% it will test a hair lighter then factory rears.

I've done 20% all the way around which turns the rears to under 5% basically. 20% over the factory rears tested around 3% if I recall correctly. 5% brow above the ase1 line on the front windshield

1705966774394.png

Many trucks/SUVs come solar ray tinted in the front from the factory around 70% to block UV rays. When you do 20% it is very close to factory tint but tests a hair darker then factory with a meter and from some angles you can see the fronts are slightly darker. If you do 25% it will test a hair lighter then factory rears.

I've done 20% all the way around which turns the rears to under 5% basically. 20% over the factory rears tested around 3% if I recall correctly. 5% brow above the ase1 line on the front windshield

View attachment 120758
Looks great. My old truck had 5% in the rear and I think 15% in front. Dark windows look great on a white truck. My current one is black though, so now if I darken the windows a lot, it'll look like one big black mass cruising down the street. :LOL: I'll probably still do it.

Looks great. My old truck had 5% in the rear and I think 15% in front. Dark windows look great on a white truck. My current one is black though, so now if I darken the windows a lot, it'll look like one big black mass cruising down the street. :LOL: I'll probably still do it.
I love dark tint too. Just makes the vehicle more comfortable to drive. My friend has a tint shop and had someone come in with a blacked out tahoe and had him do 2.5% tint all the way around. The meter tested at 0 in the back rows and 1% up front. No joke on a very bright and sunny day in the second row couldn't even see your own knees. It was ridiculous.....I want to do that now lol

I did Llumar IRX 25 (F1 Pinnacle 25 is identical if your local guy is F1 certified) on the fronts and 50 all the way around and on the sunroof. It matches up almost perfectly.

I love dark tint too. Just makes the vehicle more comfortable to drive. My friend has a tint shop and had someone come in with a blacked out tahoe and had him do 2.5% tint all the way around. The meter tested at 0 in the back rows and 1% up front. No joke on a very bright and sunny day in the second row couldn't even see your own knees. It was ridiculous.....I want to do that now lol
:ROFLMAO: Too funny. And here I thought 5% was the lowest they go. If I remember correctly, the darkest you can tint the fronts in CA is a ridiculous 30%. I would hope with all the crime they are letting slide by, they won't bother me for 15% or so.

I did Llumar IRX 25 (F1 Pinnacle 25 is identical if your local guy is F1 certified) on the fronts and 50 all the way around and on the sunroof. It matches up almost perfectly.
Thanks. I would like the fronts to match the rears, so that 25/50 ratio is good to know. But I'm thinking I'd like a little darker. So maybe 15% on the front and 40% for the rear? I'll see what my installer says.

:ROFLMAO: Too funny. And here I thought 5% was the lowest they go. If I remember correctly, the darkest you can tint the fronts in CA is a ridiculous 30%. I would hope with all the crime they are letting slide by, they won't bother me for 15% or so.
Actually you are can’t have any front window tint in Ca. Seems as if lots of people are though so they are not as strict on it

I think it comes down to the troopers mood. Its 35% in Ma but as long as I'm respectful if I am stopped....they tend to not care about tint. Heck most police cruisers I see now run 20%. Whichever side the officer is walking up on, ill just roll the windows down to give them a glimpse inside.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back