Update Please listen and advise-lifters? trans noise?

Well they did a software update, Tech verified he heard it before and no longer heard it after update. Got it home and let it idle, along with slight rev and also no longer hear tapping. I'll update after a few days of doing things that i did before to see if it actually gone.

Well they did a software update, Tech verified he heard it before and no longer heard it after update. Got it home and let it idle, along with slight rev and also no longer hear tapping. I'll update after a few days of doing things that i did before to see if it actually gone.
Oh that's a good one!! Def a software issue hahaha.

All kidding aside, i obviously hope this works out for you 100 but i wouldnt get my hopes up. Keep us posted either way!

Oh that's a good one!! Def a software issue hahaha.

All kidding aside, i obviously hope this works out for you 100 but i wouldnt get my hopes up. Keep us posted either way!
The only way I see this working is if it is transmission related and due to play like previously mentioned then maybe it’ll work. Maybe it changed valve/solenoid operation to keep more pressure on parts. Who knows, we’ll see. I’ll update later.

Well did my normal drive to work this morning and noise is still there. I don’t hear it unless I open door or get out of the truck so I guess I’ll deal with it. Truck drives fine, I’d just like to know what it is for sure.

Well did my normal drive to work this morning and noise is still there. I don’t hear it unless I open door or get out of the truck so I guess I’ll deal with it. Truck drives fine, I’d just like to know what it is for sure.
Yea the truck is so loud stock and the cab is so quiet that most noises prolly go unnoticed unless u frequently remote start ur truck/etc. I wouldnt let em off the hook though. As soon as i get mine to start making that sound again I'm bringing it back in to have them diag

Yea the truck is so loud stock and the cab is so quiet that most noises prolly go unnoticed unless u frequently remote start ur truck/etc. I wouldnt let em off the hook though. As soon as i get mine to start making that sound again I'm bringing it back in to have them diag
Yeah I’ll probably take it back at some point to at least get some answer as to what it is. Multiple people seem to have same noise so it’s either an issue or another characteristic like the exhaust tick.

I’ve got this same noise. I only notice it if I have my window down and I’m going slow trying to park or something. I don’t have it in neutral though. I’m not super worried about it and I have just over 40k on the truck. I’ll get the fluid changed at 50k probably. I got the 7 year 125k warranty so it won’t blow up till 2030 or 127k.

I’ve got this same noise. I only notice it if I have my window down and I’m going slow trying to park or something. I don’t have it in neutral though. I’m not super worried about it and I have just over 40k on the truck. I’ll get the fluid changed at 50k probably. I got the 7 year 125k warranty so it won’t blow up till 2030 or 127k.

Update from OP - Dealer replaced the transmission with a new transmission assembly, cooler, and lines-noise still persisted. They then took the transmission back out and replaced the flex plate and bolts...the noise persisted.

Currently we are waiting for a regional tech rep to look at the truck. Sounds like they are looking at the lower end of the motor now. I will keep you all posted. While this has been a pain, I am not too upset with getting a brand new drive train :)

Last edited:
Update from OP - Dealer replaced the transmission with a new transmission assembly, cooler, and lines-noise still persisted. They then took the transmission back out and replaced the flex plate and bolts...the noise persisted.

Currently we are waiting for a regional tech rep to look at the truck. Sounds like like are looking at the lower end of the motor now. I will keep you all posted. While this has been a pain, I am not too upset with getting a brand new drive train :)
Holy F!!! thanks for the update!!

Currently we are waiting for a regional tech rep to look at the truck. Sounds like they are looking at the lower end of the motor now. I will keep you all posted. While this has been a pain, I am not too upset with getting a brand new drive train :)
Curious to see what the rep has to say about the noise.

I’ve took the truck to two different dealers and they can’t seem to replicate the tap that I hear. At this point I’ll drive it and see what happens in the future. I love the truck anyway. Maybe I’ll just get under there and see about adding some more fluid to top it off. Has anyone topped off their trans. If so would I have to get the trans up to operating temp before opening and filling it up or would it be a cold fill?

I’ve took the truck to two different dealers and they can’t seem to replicate the tap that I hear. At this point I’ll drive it and see what happens in the future. I love the truck anyway. Maybe I’ll just get under there and see about adding some more fluid to top it off. Has anyone topped off their trans. If so would I have to get the trans up to operating temp before opening and filling it up or would it be a cold fill?
It’s a process…
IMG_9687.jpeg

If you just pull the fill plug without the engine running, the fluid will dump everywhere. If the trans is too hot it will also dump everywhere. Finally, if the trans pan rail isn’t level (which means having the rear of the truck lifted higher than the front to offset the downward tilt of the transmission) it will…you guessed it…dump everywhere.

It’s a process…
View attachment 129517
If you just pull the fill plug without the engine running, the fluid will dump everywhere. If the trans is too hot it will also dump everywhere. Finally, if the trans pan rail isn’t level (which means having the rear of the truck lifted higher than the front to offset the downward tilt of the transmission) it will…you guessed it…dump everywhere.
Only 17 steps? I thought it was at least 20… they really make it easy, huh? Fancy trans, fancy fill procedure.

Only 17 steps? I thought it was at least 20… they really make it easy, huh? Fancy trans, fancy fill procedure.
Yeah, you kinda get the impression they really don’t want the owner to touch this thing. Too bad, I did anyway.

At this point I don’t think it’s trans related if other guy has had all that replaced (hopefully filled correctly at that point) and it’s still making noise.

Haha. Suckers. What scan tool do you use?
You can just pull trans temp up on the EVIC. Don’t need to worry about putting it into emissions test mode or anything else involving a scan tool. The actual service manual only says to disable ESC.

Does this noise sounds like normal?

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back