Tires constantly loosing air!

kliffy77

TRX Fan
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram TRX
Hi,

Since i installed the beadlocks the 2 left side tires keep loosing air! After filling them with air It takes about two weeks for the sensors to light up, I checked the tires all in excellent condition less than 2000 miles on them any ideas? Thanks!

As already mentioned, do the soap water test.

Sometimes the valves stems will leak, and it's such a slow leak that it's hard to catch. I used to put tires in a dunk tank and watch where the bubbles would come from.
Good luck and I hope you find and fix this inconvenience

Just a quick update, I took my truck to the dealership and the air leak is from the beadlock

Attachments

• IMG_2533.MOV
    1.6 MB
The strange thing is my truck has been in the garage for a week and still this issue isn’t resolved yet!

And this is why I passed on the headlocks…
Its not a true bead-lock unless you purchase the bead-lock rings as a separate item from Mopar. Comes from the factory with beauty rings, and is a traditional tire on rim set up. This guy obviously had the rings installed and either were not torqued on in the proper sequence to the proper torque specs, or there is a problem with the rings he bought. They look to be powder coated, so maybe they do not sit flush around the tire.

Its not a true bead-lock unless you purchase the bead-lock rings as a separate item from Mopar. Comes from the factory with beauty rings, and is a traditional tire on rim set up. This guy obviously had the rings installed and either were not torqued on in the proper sequence to the proper torque specs, or there is a problem with the rings he bought. They look to be powder coated, so maybe they do not sit flush around the tire.
Today the Garage gave me an update they do think it’s the powder coat I sure hope that’s not the case they will uninstall all and re-torque I’ll post an update tomorrow.

Last edited:
Thats what ring beadlocks do, they leak. Known issue with ALL brands of ring clamped beadlocks, one of the reasons why they are not DOT approved.

Hutchinson beadlocks do not leak and are dot approved. Totally different design

I’ve never had a beadlock leak. Ever. Regardless of wheel manufacturer (although a few friends with RRW and dirty life have had issues with their rings bending). But real beadlocks like trailready or OMF and ultra… never

The problem is they take time to torque correctly. And its labor intensive and tiring.

Buy a good torque wrench and pull the tire core out. Then back every bolt back a turn and then spend time torquing yourself. The instructions are in the box with the rings on the sequence.

The beadlocks are legit and have a huge face. They should not be leaking even with some powder coat on them.

Attachments

• BFE379EA-8785-4B23-B5D5-744C89B2183B.jpeg
    BFE379EA-8785-4B23-B5D5-744C89B2183B.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 1301A5E6-62FE-46DB-939D-CCBBB1CBD9FB.jpeg
    1301A5E6-62FE-46DB-939D-CCBBB1CBD9FB.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 30
  • E25436A8-B93A-4245-B4FC-1787DF95574F.jpeg
    E25436A8-B93A-4245-B4FC-1787DF95574F.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 28
I’ve never had a beadlock leak. Ever. Regardless of wheel manufacturer (although a few friends with RRW and dirty life have had issues with their rings bending). But real beadlocks like trailready or OMF and ultra… never

The problem is they take time to torque correctly. And its labor intensive and tiring.

Buy a good torque wrench and pull the tire core out. Then back every bolt back a turn and then spend time torquing yourself. The instructions are in the box with the rings on the sequence.

The beadlocks are legit and have a huge face. They should not be leaking even with some powder coat on them.
I agree 100%. Take a lot of time and have to do it correctly with a good torque wrench. But never had any leaks.

My beadlocks leaked after initial install.. (shitty tire store)

My wheels and beadlocks are powdercoated.

My brother took them off, reinstalled and they have been fine since.

You have to follow a pattern, not unlike putting the wheel on itself.

The Mopar beadlocks, came with detailed mounting instructions, that call for 3 different torque intervals... If you have a non retard put them on, chances are they will be fine.

If they are installed properly, and still leak, it could be uneven powder-coating, or even a slightly bent wheel and/or beadlock.

I agree 100%. Take a lot of time and have to do it correctly with a good torque wrench. But never had any leaks.
I’ve torn valve stems… but never leaked from rings.

The reality is, unless you’re into hardcore off-roading, requiring you to drop your psi below 12, Bead Locks are just “purty”, and not something I’m interested in fooling with.
I truck pulled for years, running about 22 psi
In the rears and 18 in the fronts and never spun a tire on the wheel.
My ever so humble opinion based upon personal experience.

I’d say moderate offroading. Anything that is above a maintained fire road.

One of the other forgiving things about beadlocks is the “let’s too much air out” when stuck.

That valve core comes out and gets lost in the dirt lol. Or when you tried to let 5-8 psi and it ends up being 15-20 psi.

The bead clamp stops from it coming off. Also if you tear a carcass you can still roll on the rubber that rolls over the rim edge.

I installed them for sand precisely i have to lower the air in soft sand it helps a lot, Before TRX i owned a Rebel and suffered from the tires pooping out of the wheels so this is why I installed beadlocks.

The reality is, unless you’re into hardcore off-roading, requiring you to drop your psi below 12, Bead Locks are just “purty”, and not something I’m interested in fooling with.
I truck pulled for years, running about 22 psi
In the rears and 18 in the fronts and never spun a tire on the wheel.
My ever so humble opinion based upon personal experience.
Bead looks in off-road are about much more than spinning the wheel in the tire. It’s about handling side loading and impacts. With speed you can still easily have situations where you de-bead a tire or even just “burp” a large amount of air out all at once. This can happen even at modest pressures in the 20psi range.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back