Georgia TRX

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2023 TRX
Hello all

Hope you're enjoying the day.

Somehow my steering wheel has a tear in the leather. A picture is attached. I think it happenes at a tire shop replacing a tire with a nail in it but I can't prove it.

I do not want to buy a new wheel for this cosmetic damage.

I also do not care about cosmetic look so much, more the feeling of the tear against my fingers when I turn the wheel.

Anyone have a good fix for stuff like this?

Thank you all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 68
Oof that would piss me right off. Sorry this happened to your truck. My only suggestion I have is, always do a full inspection when picking up your vehicle after service work. Some in the industry don't care it's not theirs and if they report it, it will be their job. Noone seems to want to fix their mistakes these days. Hopefully you find a fix or can grab a good deal from someone who swapped out the stock wheel.

Oof that would piss me right off. Sorry this happened to your truck. My only suggestion I have is, always do a full inspection when picking up your vehicle after service work. Some in the industry don't care it's not theirs and if they report it, it will be their job. Noone seems to want to fix their mistakes these days. Hopefully you find a fix or can grab a good deal from someone who swapped out the stock wheel.
Thanks, honestly man the guys at the shop were nice and squeezed me in with no appointment while pretty busy. Not interested in making a scene.

Good advice about inspection though.

Frankly I don't really care about the cosmetics, its the feel I don't like.

Last edited:
Thanks, honestly man the guys at the shop were nice and squeezed me in with no appointment and were pretty busy actually. Not interested in making a scene.

Good advice about inspection though.

Frankly I don't really care about the cosmetics, its the feel I don't like.
Well then sandpaper, if you don't care about look but hate the feel take it back down to where you like it. It is your truck at the end of the day. Fully understand not wanting to make waves, but I must remind you it is that exact mindset that landed us here. Where people won't fix things because they were not made to, so they got accustomed to that way and once that happens in an industry hard to correct. No matter how excellent a tech is they need to know when they screwed the pooch! Hopefully someone who knows leather can point you to a less cosmetic damaging solution but that is all I can think sand her down.

I'd just get it fixed by a repair/restoration place. I think I paid $60 for a similar repair on my previous truck. It was on the door panel so not as much contact as the steering wheel but was definitely hard to spot

I'd just get it fixed by a repair/restoration place. I think I paid $60 for a similar repair on my previous truck. It was on the door panel so not as much contact as the steering wheel but was definitely hard to spot
good call in particular because all the electronics in my steering wheel work really well and if I got a new steering wheel who knows if it would work properly given how messed up the production facilities are

IMG_0341.jpeg
I replaced my steering wheel with a carbon fiber/leather from eBay. Very nice quality. There's a pretty big thread on here about the steering wheel from eBay.

I would go to an upholstery shop if you have one nearby to ask. Sorry it happened to your truck.

On a side note, can you please explain your avatar pic please? I can’t be the only one wondering what it is.

I would go to an upholstery shop if you have one nearby to ask. Sorry it happened to your truck.

On a side note, can you please explain your avatar pic please? I can’t be the only one wondering what it is.
Yeah that is what i will do i guess.

My avatar is Alex Jones tearing his shirt off.

Electrical tape as a temporary fix.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 15
If you dont care about cosmetics i would think that some sort of adhesive might work, patted on in light layers? Smoothed then reapplied, smoothed again. Its not cut all the way through? Just scratched?

If you dont care about cosmetics i would think that some sort of adhesive might work, patted on in light layers? Smoothed then reapplied, smoothed again. Its not cut all the way through? Just scratched?
I think it is a slice through most of the layer of leather.

I think it is a slice through most of the layer of leather.
Im still thinking adhesive but no idea what kind. I do think there are leather glues. Or even a two part epoxy. You would feel it but it would be more like a bump. Practice on something first.
Good luck!

Im still thinking adhesive but no idea what kind. I do think there are leather glues. Or even a two part epoxy. You would feel it but it would be more like a bump. Practice on something first.
Good luck!
yeah you might be right. i think the electrical tape will work until i can find a good upholstery shop and who knows, they might use an adhesive

Back