Security cameras

Nobody has mention RING? Is there something I don't know about them?
Why would you pay them a monthly fee? The main reason for Ubiquiti is not that their cameras rock, but you get an real home network solution with real security.

I sure wish i would have had this info before i went with this nightmare of a camera/ security company i ended up with.
Details aside, the Dahua (cant even spell this word!!) cameras are pretty much of a joke, could be worse but its mostly where they were placed that is the thorn in my side. Two in particular… its just turned into “a thing”. And ,all of that aside, their camera app?? It is total crap. DMSS, hate it, ridiculously user unfriendly. Customer support requires a translator or extended available time on hold waiting for a level 2 tech. Many complaints and its a sketchy company as well… from what i understand.
I have little to no ability to do this kind of thing myself but reading the above comments makes me wish even more that i had not done what i did.
Appreciate the information!

I sure wish i would have had this info before i went with this nightmare of a camera/ security company i ended up with.
Details aside, the Dahua (cant even spell this word!!) cameras are pretty much of a joke, could be worse but its mostly where they were placed that is the thorn in my side. Two in particular… its just turned into “a thing”. And ,all of that aside, their camera app?? It is total crap. DMSS, hate it, ridiculously user unfriendly. Customer support requires a translator or extended available time on hold waiting for a level 2 tech. Many complaints and its a sketchy company as well… from what i understand.
I have little to no ability to do this kind of thing myself but reading the above comments makes me wish even more that i had not done what i did.
If your current installation is run with Cat5/6 its an easy enough switch to Ubiquity. Pretty intuitive and you can start small and expand as you want/feel comfortable. If you don't have network cables just have someone run them for you with terminations. Pretty hassle free after that.

For the guys who have ubiquiti, what system would you recommend? There are so many options on their site. I would need at least four cameras for now with the option to add in the future if needed. Thanks

I went with a cheap Reolink system I put together myself with a dedicated PC, and BlueIris. They’re 4K, see very well in the night and were only $32 each (refurb, look and feel brand new!) per camera. I ran the cabling through my house myself and hooked up to a POE switch, job done. All in, I’ve got 9 cameras, the switch and the PC, I think I’m in it for under $600 total. If a camera dies, no big deal, I’ll just grab another.

Side note: the cameras are on a separate VLAN so nothing can access them unless I use one of the two bridged ports on my switch.

It was more of a proof of concept but it turned out to be pretty good in the end.
I did Reolink too same setup with BI. Awesome cams that don’t break the bank. Ubiquity is good but cost way way more unless you got the cash to throw.

Nobody has mention RING? Is there something I don't know about them?
Ring is dookie, it’s popular because of the marketing and pushed to the gen public at most stores. Dont waste your time with them I did for 2 years. Arlo also SUCKED big pp. I currently use Reolink have done 1 house with 6 cams. My in-laws with 8. And I now have 4ptz cams personally staring at my TRX 😂.

Like @gmpirate said in his latest reply if you have the network cable it should be easy to switch, even easier if they are POE. If not running your own cable is super easy and can be done super cheap if you crimp and terminate your own cables. 1,000 ft of cat6 is around 130$ maybe cheaper or more expensive depending on the type, you’ll have tons of extra cable unless your building is massive lol. I’d be happy to help/walk you through it and I’m sure others would be too.

For the guys who have ubiquiti, what system would you recommend? There are so many options on their site. I would need at least four cameras for now with the option to add in the future if needed. Thanks
Most people I talk to get the Dream Machine with will handle all your networking and security needs. There are lessor units that are security only at lower price points as well. Personally I recommend the Dream Machine because of how scalable it is. Once you get into the eco system you'll see all you can do and expand with (or not). As far as cameras, I'd just recommend Youtube. Plenty of guys on there compare all the differences. Really tho, you can just get started with their flex cameras which work great. Get one or two for local viewing and experience them first. Then decide if you need better view distances/wider angles/better night/better detection, etc.

Why would you pay them a monthly fee? The main reason for Ubiquiti is not that their cameras rock, but you get an real home network solution with real security.
I know nothing about security cameras. I have RING and I'm fine with it BUT if there is something better I'm willing to dive into the idea of changing things up. Does Ubiquiti have a phone app to notify you like RING does to let you know someone is on your property?

For ubiquiti access points the only solution imo is the U6 in wall. If you have a cat5/cat6 jack already on the wall, these APs replace it. Looks so much better and the internet access speed is fantastic. Added a picture of the one in the kitchen below. These replaced Orbi boxes everywhere and we were happy to get the space back and remove the eyesore. The only cameras I use are the AI bullet cameras outdoors. Non pro version. I think they are like 399ea. If you are worried about someone vandalizing your cameras, get dome style as they are built to take a beating. Doorbell cam works great and I use the flex in doors. Everything requires PoE and sometimes the power usage can spike for whatever reason when under heavy load so add up all your devices and power consumption per device and make sure it is 30% or less than your switch and you likely won’t have any issues.

Attachments

• IMG_7247.jpeg
    IMG_7247.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 14
I know nothing about security cameras. I have RING and I'm fine with it BUT if there is something better I'm willing to dive into the idea of changing things up. Does Ubiquiti have a phone app to notify you like RING does to let you know someone is on your property?
yeah it's called Protect. does a lot actually and paired with Apple Home, you can completely replace something like Vivint.

I did Reolink too same setup with BI. Awesome cams that don’t break the bank. Ubiquity is good but cost way way more unless you got the cash to throw.
Again those are fine choices if all you want is cameras and you are happy with your current home network infrastructure. If you want an all in one solution that covers everything Ubiquiti is actually cheap IF you also want to get a new home network. The Dream Machine SE is a router and firewall with built in POE switch. Has redundant WAN ports. NVR capabilities that runs their full suite of software. Its really only missing the modem which they also sell but I don't think its worth the money. Their software suite is killer and allows you to really lock down with actual firewall rules. Anyone can watch the hundreds of videos online and replicate good security practices with the system. Those with more knowledge can go even further. Agree their cameras are pricier, but I haven't had any issues with any of my outdoor cameras from them living in northern IL. They are fully exposed to the outdoor environment.

Go with Ubiquiti the whole system....not cheap but you'll have a killer network and outstanding cameras with no monthly fees and your data stays your data.
This! That is what i have. I just purchased 4x G5 bullets for around my house.

Btw, I just made another Ubiquity purchase last week and found a good deal they currently have. The Dream Machine comes with one hard drive bay for recording the cameras. If you get into a lot of cameras and/or want a longer history of recordings they have a separate NVR that will hold four hard drives. Currently with the purchase of the NVR you get a free G4 bullet camera.

No matter what system you choose I found one cool trick you can use. Download the VLC player app to your TVs and then research and find out how to get the rtsp address for your (IP) cameras and then you can easily pull up the (low quality) live stream of any of your cameras to any of your TVs.
IMG_4803.jpg

Back