OBX 4x4 area tire pressure without beadlocks

I wish our forum had more offroad focused threads like this! (And we could ban all the 1/4 mile guys lol…. Just kidding….. sort of)

But gone are the days of e rated or 10 ply meaning 10 actual plies… and a certain level of stiffness.

It’s usually just 4 plies of mixed materials, and a varying spring rate.

And then on the end of the tire sidewall, the lip has a bead ring. Some are really thick. I don’t know if that helps retain the tire on a non beadlock. But on beadlocks that thick ring won’t let small beadlock rings seat and they tire ring needs to be shaved down.

That being said, the oem beadlock wheels and the true beadlock ring (24 bolt) is a really nice piece of hardware. It’s funny when people say that the oem beadlock wheel is heavy but then give props to Hutchinson or ultra or omf conversions that all weigh 50-60# lol!

To the OP, take a paint pen and mark the inside of your tire and rim. See how much slippage you have at different pressures.

And then also look at how much wear you have going down your side wall.

And then on the end of the tire sidewall, the lip has a bead ring. Some are really thick. I don’t know if that helps retain the tire on a non beadlock. But on beadlocks that thick ring won’t let small beadlock rings seat and they tire ring needs to be shaved down.
I never cared for those bead protectors on vehicles that leave pavement. Did some testing on what happens under lateral loads when aired down.

Sure enough, physics at work. The bead protector acted as a lever and tended to lift the inner (sealing) portion of the bead off the wheel. So I started cutting them off.

I never cared for those bead protectors on vehicles that leave pavement. Did some testing on what happens under lateral loads when aired down.

Sure enough, physics at work. The bead protector acted as a lever and tended to lift the inner (sealing) portion of the bead off the wheel. So I started cutting them off.
There are a few of us into this… maybe we just need our own section.

Reactions: Two
I wish there was a way to mute certain threads and prioritize others.

From Weld Wheels website, one of the industry’s most highly rated (if not the highest rate) rim manufacturer:

Does your state have a ban on Multi-Piece wheels?

Some states have laws against multi-piece wheel designs; hence all bead-loc designs (with the exception of the inflatable tube type) would be illegal in these states.

From Weld Wheels website, one of the industry’s most highly rated (if not the highest rate) rim manufacturer:

Does your state have a ban on Multi-Piece wheels?

Some states have laws against multi-piece wheel designs; hence all bead-loc designs (with the exception of the inflatable tube type) would be illegal in these states.

First I’ve seen this, but you would think I plagerized it 🤣

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back