NGK Iridium Spark Plugs

Georgia TRX

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2023 TRX
Hey all

I swapped out my OE spark plugs with NGK Iridiums 2309 gapped at .028.

I think these are better than the factory plugs, there is definitely better responsiveness which may be due to the way these plugs deliver spark relative to the factory plugs.

If you were contemplating this upgrade I think it is a good call.

I also note that at wide open throttle I notice a deeper tone from the exhaust. I suspect this may he due to more complete combustion, as it is materially deeper than it was before.

good plugs, i am running the same. However, unless your factory ones were old and miles on them first i have heard of changing plugs to different brand changing the tone of the exhaust and making truck more responsive.

good plugs, i am running the same. However, unless your factory ones were old and miles on them first i have heard of changing plugs to different brand changing the tone of the exhaust and making truck more responsive.
You could be right.

these things are also subjective and perhaps I am more sensitive to minor changes

I want both of you to pull ur plugs and prove that every plug is gapped at precisely 0.26 and 0.28 respectively lol. I'm calling Bull. I bet 1 of you has at least 1 plug closer to the other's gap.

Funny to me cuz i must use a stone-age gapper tool. I usually get them within a range of gaps and if it needs to be tighter i just press it into my wood-top bench (gently) until the perfect gap has been achieved haha. Or i just check em quickly outta the box and if all relatively even, load em up. Side note: i havent changed the plugs in my Rex yet but dont need to for quite some time!

Don't forget to index them so the electrode faces the right way on all cylinders 😉. Just kidding, I read some stuff on the viper truck forum so now I think I know shit 😆

I want both of you to pull ur plugs and prove that every plug is gapped at precisely 0.26 and 0.28 respectively lol. I'm calling Bull. I bet 1 of you has at least 1 plug closer to the other's gap.

Funny to me cuz i must use a stone-age gapper tool. I usually get them within a range of gaps and if it needs to be tighter i just press it into my wood-top bench (gently) until the perfect gap has been achieved haha. Or i just check em quickly outta the box and if all relatively even, load em up. Side note: i havent changed the plugs in my Rex yet but dont need to for quite some time!
im just going by what the guys at the performance shop told me.

I know the plug companies tout the virtues of their plugs.....more complete combustion, quicker throttle response, etc. But unless you had been running high mile plugs that were smoked......there would be zero perceptible difference between a 40-50K mile factory plug and a new plug, and it would have no effect on the exhaust note. Biggest question is how did the old plugs look when you pulled them? AND were all the plugs nearly identical from a "color" standpoint. The condition, discoloration and deposits on the plug tells you more about the health of your engine, than a seat of the pants "feel". What was the gap? Was either electrode worn away? Cheers!

I know the plug companies tout the virtues of their plugs.....more complete combustion, quicker throttle response, etc. But unless you had been running high mile plugs that were smoked......there would be zero perceptible difference between a 40-50K mile factory plug and a new plug, and it would have no effect on the exhaust note. Biggest question is how did the old plugs look when you pulled them? AND were all the plugs nearly identical from a "color" standpoint. The condition, discoloration and deposits on the plug tells you more about the health of your engine, than a seat of the pants "feel". What was the gap? Was either electrode worn away? Cheers!
interesting, i dont have any of that data since i did not collect my old plugs.

interesting, i dont have any of that data since i did not collect my old plugs.
How many miles on your truck when the shop did the swap?
Did they tell you, you would experience more power, smoother idle, etc.?

How many miles on your truck when the shop did the swap?
Did they tell you, you would experience more power, smoother idle, etc.?
it was about 36,000 if i recall. they did not promise anything, all expressions are my own.

maybe in my enthusiasm i am unintentionally sounding like a snake oil salesman.

Some info I found from the net, also it looks like it gives some gap info for different boost setups. What kind of plugs are people running on the higher HP setups way beyond stock? I remember when I put a set of Brisk Racing plugs in my ISF, that car WOKE UP, granted the plugs were old it was fun to feel that difference.

Attachments

• LFR7AIX.jpg
    LFR7AIX.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 31
it was about 36,000 if i recall. they did not promise anything, all expressions are my own.

maybe in my enthusiasm i am unintentionally sounding like a snake oil salesman.
No harm, but the recommendation is 60K miles for the HC engine. Todays iridium plugs have a much longer life, compared to the plugs of old. Like I said, how the plugs look tells you more than what a shop or plug mfg sells you.

I use feeler gauges. I make sure only the .026 fits lol

Some info I found from the net, also it looks like it gives some gap info for different boost setups. What kind of plugs are people running on the higher HP setups way beyond stock? I remember when I put a set of Brisk Racing plugs in my ISF, that car WOKE UP, granted the plugs were old it was fun to feel that difference.
I had an '08 ISF. Loved that car.
Funnest car to drive fast until my TRX showed up.

does that tighter gap give you more responsiveness? What are you trying to get by running them at that number?
The gap is not set for responsiveness. The idea with setting the correct gap is you want it as wide as possible for a better burn without the cylinder pressure blowing the spark out. As cylinder pressure increases, you need to shorten the gap so that it doesn't blow the spark out. The other alternative is a better coil pack, but that is typically only needed with much higher power.

Back