Mopar Running Boards vs Rock Rails vs AfterMkt AMP

mack1212

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX TR2 Flame Red
First post, but wanted to see what other people are generally doing with their orders.

My submitted build includes the Mopar Running Boards instead of the Rock rails but having some second guesses. My current 19 RAM 1500 Limited has the power running boards and they're AWESOME, but obviously not a factory option here but i've asked AMP where they stand on a TRX-compatible power step.

Are most folks ordering Rock Rails vs Running Boards or doing without and planning aftermarket?

I have a 7 year old and a 70 year old mother-in-law that will be in/out often so a bit weary of the rock rails, even tho they do look "better" and more streamlined. Ideally Power'd with AMP however will lose some off-road functionality, not that i'm planning a lot of rock crawling.

Thoughts? What are you each doing?

Check this thread out:

Welcome to the forum. I went with Running boards. Agree the rock rails look better but they’re not going to be great for a step. And I definitely wouldn’t want my 70 year old mother-in-law using them to get up into or out of the truck, theres a really good joke about that I‘m sure.

Anyone using the rock rails though like a running board had better paint protection film the rocker panels otherwise the paint will get trashed.

If the AMP power boards end up working for the TRX might go that direction eventually.

Here‘s a breakdown of Running Boards vs Rock Rails based in what people here & other groups have reported:
7DE2B49A-3045-45D5-8142-F51324338B8C.jpeg

Check this thread out:

Yes, i've seen this thread, this is less about whether AMP has a solution and more about what people are actually ordering with their builds.

Welcome to the forum. I went with Running boards. Agree the rock rails look better but they’re not going to be great for a step. And I definitely wouldn’t want my 70 year old mother-in-law using them to get up into or out of the truck, theres a really good joke about that I‘m sure.

Anyone using the rock rails though like a running board had better paint protection film the rocker panels otherwise the paint will get trashed.

If the AMP power boards end up working for the TRX might go that direction eventually.

Here‘s a breakdown of Running Boards vs Rock Rails based in what people here & other groups have reported:
View attachment 1439

Thanks! I will add my build to the VON tracker and can help get some more data in the model.

It would be really nice to see White Knuckle offroad design some true frame mounted rock rails for this truck.
i need rails i can use...and the kick out they design will save your arse

It was "confirmed" that power steps won't work because of the rear suspension getting in the way...

With that said AMP would probably have to get their hands on a TRX to see if they will work. I'm thinking it'll work, just the rear mount needs to moved forward if in fact the rear suspension arm gets in the way of the motor. I have no problem with doing modification on my truck to make it work

I would assume they moved the rear mounts for the control arm forward to get more wheel travel since they didn't sacrifice bed space
1604535300538.png

1604535631612.png

First post, but wanted to see what other people are generally doing with their orders.

My submitted build includes the Mopar Running Boards instead of the Rock rails but having some second guesses. My current 19 RAM 1500 Limited has the power running boards and they're AWESOME, but obviously not a factory option here but i've asked AMP where they stand on a TRX-compatible power step.

Are most folks ordering Rock Rails vs Running Boards or doing without and planning aftermarket?

I have a 7 year old and a 70 year old mother-in-law that will be in/out often so a bit weary of the rock rails, even tho they do look "better" and more streamlined. Ideally Power'd with AMP however will lose some off-road functionality, not that i'm planning a lot of rock crawling.

the rockrails would do well. i dont think these running boards r strong enough. will build custom running boards to fit highlift. thought of installing hydraulic pistons to lift truck

I'm planning aftermarket but I can't decide on what to get. Did you keep
the running board in your order?

I went with rock rails, hoping still enough to step on. Those running boards look terrible IMO.

I love the look with the rock rails but I think they are a little too narrow to step on. The running boards may save a couple door dings too...

My TRX has the rock rails, I’m 6’1 I wear a size 13 shoe, I get about half my foot on the rockrail the long way but getting out is more of a drop. I’m going to take it out to the Sandune‘s but not much rock crawling. My Laramie had the power running boards and I think I might go back to that

It was "confirmed" that power steps won't work because of the rear suspension getting in the way...

With that said AMP would probably have to get their hands on a TRX to see if they will work. I'm thinking it'll work, just the rear mount needs to moved forward if in fact the rear suspension arm gets in the way of the motor. I have no problem with doing modification on my truck to make it work
KnightMare what is your opinion. Do you think the mopar factory running boards made of casted aluminum would be better than aftermarket steel ones . I am looking at American Truck running boards for about 640 bucks. They look similar.

I am looking at these running boards supplied by American truck.

RB20 Running Boards; Black Bedliner Coating (19-21 RAM 1500 Crew Cab)​

Item R109889

I got the running boards but digging the look without rock rails or running boards & without the Ram bar, w/ a tonneau cover, just very clean looking. The running boards are just mounted to studs right, easily removable so I’m going to see what its like getting in & out without using the boards & if its workable I‘m probably going to remove them. I’m only 5’ 9 but dont have little kids & old people wont be allowed in my truck.

FACAA7DA-0787-43C5-8CCB-7BAE7D7D3A20.jpeg

76C5284A-75EB-4D71-B33A-D1BF90659CA6.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back