How fast could the TRX go without its speed-governor?

Stock boost. Different tires no limiter 160 is easy. Not even red line yet. Still smooth not a hand full.
160 in this truck is not smooth by any definition. It has the aerodynamics that are slightly better then a refrigerator.
I’ve had my Gen 2 Raptor to 125mph once after beating a mid life crisis purchased Audi A6 and that did not feel great.
One time when I was driving in Mexico, I got the wife’s X5 M50i to 163mph, and it feels a hell of a lot more stable then a 1/2 ton pickup truck ever would at those speeds.

Tire Speed Ratings are based on running at the highest rated speed for 10 minutes. Short bursts to hit higher mph are likely safe. Think about it, even the tires we run on half-mile and standing mile events aren't rated for the 200-300 mph ratings. But they survive just fine for a short duration at higher than rated speeds.

I did 189 on a hayabusa back when I was young and stupid, and on freshly paved 10 mile stretch of highway… I only know I hit 189 cause I felt the Governor kick in… felt like my body was going to be ripped off the bike… 110/120 is plenty fast 😅

Tire Speed Ratings are based on running at the highest rated speed for 10 minutes. Short bursts to hit higher mph are likely safe. Think about it, even the tires we run on half-mile and standing mile events aren't rated for the 200-300 mph ratings. But they survive just fine for a short duration at higher than rated speeds.
i hit 120 with ease yesterday when a Tesla S wanted to challenge me. blew by him around 120 (figured that was his limit in terms of being a wuss) come to find he's got his child in the front seat....fucking idiot people.

anyway, i've removed my limiter and i've gone above the tires speed limitations for short periods of time and the truck drives smooth as hell, zero hesitation to go faster than it's "allowed"

i also doubt id ever go faster than the truck could hit in a quarter mile

I had my HC RE up to 165-170 on known, straight, smooth blacktop and it was intense but felt fine.
I would NEVER take a tall, 6500# truck over 150. I read some of the posts of people hitting 200 with other vehicles and saying they nearly died. At those speeds EVERYTHING changes. Speed limited to 118, works for me!

Last edited:
i hit 120 with ease yesterday when a Tesla S wanted to challenge me. blew by him around 120 (figured that was his limit in terms of being a wuss) come to find he's got his child in the front seat....fucking idiot people.

anyway, i've removed my limiter and i've gone above the tires speed limitations for short periods of time and the truck drives smooth as hell, zero hesitation to go faster than it's "allowed"

To be honest. You’re just as culpable racing against another person on public roads….
And against someone who has a child in their car.

The audacity to call someone else out when you’re doing something equally as bad and with that person.

I’m not saying I never sped nor do I say I don’t do stupid shit. But I don’t do stupid shit and give myself a pass by pointing out the other persons idiocracy.

Go race offroad/on track.

With the TRX and driving it far more than any other "fast" vehicle I have owned, I have had to work HARD my impulse control !!!!!!! Otherwise I would in the slammer!

To be honest. You’re just as culpable racing against another person on public roads….
And against someone who has a child in their car.

The audacity to call someone else out when you’re doing something equally as bad and with that person.

I’m not saying I never sped nor do I say I don’t do stupid shit. But I don’t do stupid shit and give myself a pass by pointing out the other persons idiocracy.

Go race offroad/on track.
Come on man. I said it because had I known there was a child in this persons car I would never have engaged. I would've never guessed someone else would try to engage in that kind of driving otherwise - the roads were relatively empty at the time so it was not like I was putting all these people in danger going 100-120mph for a very short period. I don't like the all high and mighty talk. No offense to you but I wasn't bragging, I was saying the truck is still smooth at the edge of it's "limit".

Yea. Sorry man. But you’re not making you’re case any better with “relatively empty” roads.

I’m a shitty failed race car driver in my younger and pre disabled days and also was a cop.
Seeing how easy it is for a vehicle to lose I. From racing and seeing the damage possible from being a cop….

Street racing is just stupid and you have put everyone on that road and in shops/houses on that road into your “Race”.

That 6800# missile your riding in is exactly that. And to excuse yourself because he had a kid and you didn’t…
Nah man.
Head to the track… go run offroad. I’ll go with you and buy the pizza and beers afterwards while we lie to each other about why we didn’t win.

Yea. Sorry man. But you’re not making you’re case any better with “relatively empty” roads.

I’m a shitty failed race car driver in my younger and pre disabled days and also was a cop.
Seeing how easy it is for a vehicle to lose I. From racing and seeing the damage possible from being a cop….

Street racing is just stupid and you have put everyone on that road and in shops/houses on that road into your “Race”.

That 6800# missile your riding in is exactly that. And to excuse yourself because he had a kid and you didn’t…
Nah man.
Head to the track… go run offroad. I’ll go with you and buy the pizza and beers afterwards while we lie to each other about why we didn’t win.
Lol. I hear you. I'm not excusing myself. I don't try people on the road. I've never had a speeding ticket in my life, +5 driving record - shit I haven't had any moving violation in a decade. One thing about this truck, especially once you put some mods on it....people want to try you. Sometimes it's hard to say no. I didn't build a thousand horsepower truck to drive 5 under the speed limit. I did it to embarrass Lambos and that's exactly what the thing can do. But I get what you are saying.

The tire speed rating is there to let you know that you shouldn't exceed that speed with that tire. If you do for a sustained period of time the air in the tire will heat up and expand causing the tire to explode. It is pretty simple.

At 150MPH+ and if tire lets go, truck is totaled and so are you.

Whenever you exceed the speed limit of a vehicle the slightest turn of steering wheel, dip, pot hole in road, is the enough to un-weight the vehicle and of you go on wild ride that ends in some type of crash.

I had a friend that died in a viper doing over 150 over a 4 lane, 5 mile bridge, there was a dip in bridge,which shifted the weight balance and and he was dead on the spot. If that happens at that speed, its really not controllable.
We’re with the vipers (sopranos reference rip)

The TRX passes 100 MPH in fourth gear and quickly reaches its governed limit of 117 with gears to spare. I wonder what the top end would be if the speed-nanny was removed?

It can obviously go a lot faster. I don’t know at what point aerodynamics create a wall.

184 on the dyno with this truck, would certainly never attempt that in real life lol

Only point in removing the limiter is for 1/4 times. Once you are adding power, def going to be over that 118 limiter in the 1/4.

My limiter is removed and it has plenty of power around 135+ but everytime I get to that point the wheels start screeching which really makes you pucker up and hit the brakes. Really wishing there was a better tire solution for high speed while remaining aggressive.

My limiter is removed and it has plenty of power around 135+ but everytime I get to that point the wheels start screeching which really makes you pucker up and hit the brakes. Really wishing there was a better tire solution for high speed while remaining aggressive.
There is a solution, its called a Hellcat Redeye Widebody!
Yeah, the weight and height of these trucks at high speed is a recipe for disaster. Someone, somewhere will drop one to the ground and push it over 200 in the flying mile. Its just a matter of time.

what about using the off-road race tires like the ones on the trophy trucks?

184 on the dyno with this truck, would certainly never attempt that in real life lol

Only point in removing the limiter is for 1/4 times. Once you are adding power, def going to be over that 118 limiter in the 1/4.
Thank you for a simple proven results answer.

Back