How can I run a USB cord from the AC outlet in the center console to the wireless phone holder area? (Under the shifter console)

djheywood

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2024 TRX
I recently purchased a quad lock vent mount for my phone. It’s magnetic and powered, but requires 5v. Even though this truck is a 2024, the shitty USB-A and C connectors above the wireless charger are not strong enough to power the quad lock mount head.

I am currently running a usb c from the 110 AC in the center console and just have the wire laying next to the shifter. Was hoping to somehow disassemble the shifter area from the side and get the wire to run underneath and maybe drill a small hole to allow the cable to pop out in the void area in front of the wireless charger area for a cleaner install. Anyone know how I can get access to this area?

Thanks!

I can tell you that the center console area removes very easily. 6 screws and the whole unit slide back and comes out. When you slide it back there are maybe 2 connectors.

Here’s a link to a post that links to another post on a different forum lol. Shows how to remove the center console.

Side comment. You could also utilize 12v power from the cigarette lighter outlet above your center stack. Maybe pull it out and tap from below, running wires down to your center console. That way, you’re not dealing with converting power from AC to DC that was already converted from DC to AC.

Post in thread 'Rookie Mistake-Spilled coffee in console'
https://www.ram-trx.com/threads/rookie-mistake-spilled-coffee-in-console.14297/post-277574

Awesome thanks for the link I'll check it out! I know what you mean about the back and forth conversion of power, but this seems simpler once I figure out how to run the cable and I don't have to try to get behind the main screen or under the dashboard.

Thanks for the help!

Once that center is removed, more pieces can come off. You may find a nice simple way to route it. I know that area for the charging port is sealed so you would have to drill in there. Maybe you can do something with that little pocket.

Adding an update as I got the console removed easily last night. For those needing to remove it, you pull straight out on the bottom of the plastic trim pieces on either side of the top of the console to expose the forward bolts. Then There are two bolts low on either side that can be exposed by popping off the small square plastic covers. (You need to move the seats all the way forward to expose the rears on each side.)

Once all the bolts were moved the console slides back really easily and you can disconnect the two harness connectors and remove the plastic retention screw holding the wire harness to the front of the console. After that you can rotate the console upwards and out the rear door.

One I had the console out it was more difficult to get the wire through than I expected. There is a lot of compartments brackets and stuff in there but I was able to run a fish line from under the removable rubber change holder and all the way out to the front. (It took a few tries but it’s possible) then I drilled a hole in the back of the front cubby and got my wire through, with enough slack that I can push it in or pull out extra so it’s just the right length to reach my charger. Will post a pic later of the final install shots.

One other side note. When I installed my LockerDown console safe, one of the self tapping screws barely knicked a bunch of wires. It didn’t pierce them but be aware if you are doing that install that there are wires routed under there. Might be best to drill a small hole and make sure the wires aren’t gonna be hit before putting in the bottom screws.

Thanks to all for the assistance!

Working on uploading pics but it doesn’t like them from my phone

IMG_0541.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0540.jpeg
    IMG_0540.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0538.jpeg
    IMG_0538.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0537.jpeg
    IMG_0537.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0539.jpeg
    IMG_0539.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0536.jpeg
    IMG_0536.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 15

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back