Happy with MPG

66 vette

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 ram
This truck is like an econemy rig compared to the gutless trucks of the 70 and 80's that we used to drive. Most of them got about 8 mpg, 10 mpg was a pipe dream. I have averaged 13.1 for the first 400 miles. I live 25 miles from town and I checked it driving 55 to 60 and got 16.4. My 2019 Laramie gets about 5 mpg better on the same drive. I will only put on about 7000 miles a year.

I didn't buy it for it's miles per gallon but instead for the similes per mile. My "other" truck is a 2020 RAM 1500 4x4 with a 5.7 and 3.92.... It gets about 2 mpg more than the TRX.... Of course I drive the TRX with a heavy foot so that may have something to do with it... :). I've owned lot's of V8 4x4s for the past 30+ years... (Chevy's, Toyota's, Ram's) The best mpg any of them got was "maybe" 17 and most were in the 14 to 15 range..... So 12 to 14mpg with TRX doesn't seem out of line and it sure doesn't matter to me

I’m seeing the same. 125 miles now and 13.5mpg. Granted, it is the break in and I’m observing it as best as I can. It wants to run and run hard. I got to 8.4 on the pucker factor the other day when I forgot what truck I was in and pulled out of a parking lot like I was in my Cummins.

I didn't buy it for it's miles per gallon but instead for the similes per mile. My "other" truck is a 2020 RAM 1500 4x4 with a 5.7 and 3.92.... It gets about 2 mpg more than the TRX.... Of course I drive the TRX with a heavy foot so that may have something to do with it... :). I've owned lot's of V8 4x4s for the past 30+ years... (Chevy's, Toyota's, Ram's) The best mpg any of them got was "maybe" 17 and most were in the 14 to 15 range..... So 12 to 14mpg with TRX doesn't seem out of line and it sure doesn't matter to me
I sold TWO late model trucks to take advantage of the inflated used market and bought a low mile 2001 Ram Sport regular cab 4x4 with a 318 Magnum to get me through the wait. It's a DOG and gets 11-12 MPG. SRT Ram was about the same. The ZR2 Diesel was really good 20+ as was the 2006 Mega Cab Diesel 4X4.

Glad to hear this, I’m expecting to get 10 with my heavy foot, and was sort of apprehensive about it since I’ll putting about 20k miles on it a year. I’ve been driving diesels with about 14-16mpg over the last 8 years. If I can get 13.5 without consciously holding back I’d be happy. Not betting on it though.

My current 1500 Limited eTorque is giving me 15-16 mpg. With 33 gallon tank, I have to visit gas stations every 2 - weeks. If the TRX can give me 12-13 mpg, I’m a happy man. But the reason I buy it because of the whinny supercharger sound, so I’m not sure how it’s gonna stack up lol. Why can’t they have 45 gallon tank option.

In the 3k miles I have driven I am getting just under 12mpg. Half of that is with a boat behind it. My 16 Ram 1500 was getting 15mpg. I'm exactly where I expected to be. I love the power but it is so comfortable just to ride in it.

I’m seeing the same. 125 miles now and 13.5mpg. Granted, it is the break in and I’m observing it as best as I can. It wants to run and run hard. I got to 8.4 on the pucker factor the other day when I forgot what truck I was in and pulled out of a parking lot like I was in my Cummins.
I haven't been too easy on it so it could get better. I did not buy it to race it. It took the place of my 66 425 hp corvette that I drove maybe once a month, I can enjoy this every day. Been driving hot cars and trucks since 1965 so I just want enjoy this truck and stand on the loud pedal once in a while.

This truck is like an economy rig compared to the gutless trucks of the 70 and 80's that we used to drive. Most of them got about 8 mpg, 10 mpg was a pipe dream. I have averaged 13.1 for the first 400 miles. I live 25 miles from town and I checked it driving 55 to 60 and got 16.4. My 2019 Laramie gets about 5 mpg better on the same drive. I will only put on about 7000 miles a year.
Agreed!

I am getting far better millage than I had expected. Follow the science:
  1. I don't visit the gas station more than I used to in my previous Ram 1500 5.7L
  2. I can drive to Billings and back on a single tank. Couldn't do that in my last Ram 1500 5.7
The fact I waste less time getting gas makes the TRX far more efficient!!!!! My time is worth more than money.

Try finding ethanol-free premium gas and then support that station. In all vehicles, and lawn mowers, you'll find you get much better mileage if only pumping ethanol-free gas. Gas station owners that choose to sell premium grade with ethanol SHOULD BE SHOT.

Last edited:
Agreed!

I am getting far better millage than I had expected. Follow the science:
  1. I don't visit the gas station more than I used to in my previous Ram 1500 5.7L
  2. If keeping the TRX under 100MPH, I can drive to Billings and back on a single tank. Couldn't do that in my last Ram 1500 5.7
The fact I waste less time getting gas makes the TRX far more efficient!!!!! My time is worth more than money.

Try finding ethanol-free premium gas and then support that station. In all vehicles, and lawn mowers, you'll find you get much better mileage if only pumping ethanol-free gas. Gas station owners that choose to sell premium grade with ethanol SHOULD BE SHOT.
I wish we had more ethanol free stations near me. The only places I can find sell regular. I have complained that the ethanol killed any mileage since it started. I have driven Mustangs since the 90s and I used to get 23-24 with a supercharged Mustang. Ethanol came around and the same setup was now getting 15-16 with no other changes.

I will say that the ethanol in the gas is being used by manufactures now to make this silly power.

Reactions: RTG
I am right around 8-9mpg and love it! Drove a lifted diesel F350 on race injectors for 150 miles a day 5 days a week during college when diesel was $4+ a gallon and was rocking 9-10mpg. Still managed save a fortune verses staying on campus. The TRX mpg doesn't phase me. The universe back then prepared me for this beasts thirsty habits.

My lifted '14 was around 15mpg and my lifetime avg for the TRX so far is 12.8, 50/50 city/hwy driving and lots of launches and hot rodding showing it to friends and letting them drive over the last 3300 miles. Taking it on the first road trip this weekend to Sioux Falls which will show how good or bad it will be when I got to Arrowhead Stadium next month!

I’m having Rex serviced this morning, the bay is over 100 yards away, they just started it and it made me look up. That Biatch sounds good. I never get to hear the exhaust from outside the truck!!

I’m having Rex serviced this morning, the bay is over 100 yards away, they just started it and it made me look up. That Biatch sounds good. I never get to hear the exhaust from outside the truck!!
I have my fiance drive it home so I can see it and hear it every now and then. Also have her rip it around in front of the house some to know what it sounds like going by at full throttle.

Absolutely! I remote start my truck every day just to hear it as I walk up and I park next to a metal shop and it just echoes and sounds great! I love it!

Well I had 5 adults and a bed full of baggage/coolers for the weekend trip we took and got 16.4 hand calculated round trip (419 miles). Max speed 85+ mph (gotta love South Dakota speed limits) and avg speed was 65-70 mph with some "aggressive" passing. Overall I am extremely happy considering what this truck is! Looking forward to next month when we are going to Kansas City and have a truck full of people and tailgating goodies!

This truck is like an econemy rig compared to the gutless trucks of the 70 and 80's that we used to drive. Most of them got about 8 mpg, 10 mpg was a pipe dream. I have averaged 13.1 for the first 400 miles.

Think about how much our lives and American technology has changed over those 40-50 years--not the least of which is the "supercomputer" of a mobile phone in your pocket. You can't compare the TRX gas mileage to the 1970s internal combustion engines--that's not what we're about as Americans. Just deal with the fact that this ridiculously pitiful gas mileage is THE trade off of this high performance truck you chose to buy. :)

Full disclosure: my other truck on order is a Hummer EV3X. Will there be enough lithium, cobalt, manganese--environmentally un-friendly, as well as the rare earths like Neodymium-Praseodymium (NdPr) from Congo, China--and Afganistan-- to make that happen for 50% of the world's vehicles by 2035?

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back