Handgun Storage for the Under mat pockets

For those who can't seem to figure it out, here you go. You can get the latch replacement that's a lock latch put your pistol case in there. You can buy one of the floor vaults. You can fill it with pop/cut foam. The inner cases pop out if you don't care you can drill some holes attach a holster there any way you like. Wondering how this perplexed some seems pretty self explanatory. Good luck all
The picture they originally posted was not a lockable case so it seemed like something … nevermind. When i read passenger my mind goes to the front seat because i never have passengers in the back. Regardless, some good non locked options have come out of the posted pictures and info.
F’ing laws from state to state are so varied its insane. I know people who have had guns confiscated at airports in Illinois and know what a mess it is there as well as other foreign countries. CO actually surprised me. I know someone who had troubles there as well.
NY and other east coast states are so bad, even though federal law is above state law, i would never have an unlocked weapon and it sounds to me like it is required. Illinois sounds different, much different.

I didnt know there was a locking latch replacement for the fish boxes. Probably not the most secure lock but good for this application and other needs.
I would also like to get one of the console vaults.

The picture they originally posted was not a lockable case so it seemed like something … nevermind. When i read passenger my mind goes to the front seat because i never have passengers in the back. Regardless, some good non locked options have come out of the posted pictures and info.
F’ing laws from state to state are so varied its insane. I know people who have had guns confiscated at airports in Illinois and know what a mess it is there as well as other foreign countries. CO actually surprised me. I know someone who had troubles there as well.
NY and other east coast states are so bad, even though federal law is above state law, i would never have an unlocked weapon and it sounds to me like it is required. Illinois sounds different, much different.

I didnt know there was a locking latch replacement for the fish boxes. Probably not the most secure lock but good for this application and other needs.
I would also like to get one of the console vaults.
It is not very secure nothing really is when they don't care what gets broken. The replacement vault may take them a bit longer to break out but sure I could find a fast way if again did not care what I broke to get it. For a theif not doing much for law enforcement should fit the bill its now locked up. Again should be on you, time we all carry tell them no we are carrying anywhere. This is all a measure to leave your ass out in the wind when no one is coming. Remember we are to never follow unjust laws!

It is not very secure nothing really is when they don't care what gets broken. The replacement vault may take them a bit longer to break out but sure I could find a fast way if again did not care what I broke to get it. For a theif not doing much for law enforcement should fit the bill its now locked up. Again should be on you, time we all carry tell them no we are carrying anywhere. This is all a measure to leave your ass out in the wind when no one is coming. Remember we are to never follow unjust laws!
I get it. Im sure the lock on the fish box is nothing for a thief. And for transporting through one of the foreign country states all that is required is it to be in a locked case. I would shove that under the back seat, mags locked in the glove, done. The locked fish box is just for keeping “things” on a temporary timeline in certain situations. Could be good for boxed ammo.
If i have cause to travel through a bad law state, its get through as quickly as possible and do nothing to warrant getting pulled over to begin with, not that i do other than speeding. Tail light out? No reason to search my vehicle so that is a no thank you. No weapons here Sir. Hate that this is even a thing. FJB

I don't think a single person read or comprehended what you were saying. I was hoping to find some reviews buried within these 4 pages because I want the same thing for times I can't carry...nope. lol
So you dont think anyone in his thread could comprehend what the OP was asking, or no one had an actual solution (yourself included)? Was it the hard words like gun and under mat storage we had a hard time with? Net is no one had a solution and like the truck forums often do, people start rattling off ideas. Big fucking diff from not comprehending.

So you dont think anyone in his thread could comprehend what the OP was asking, or no one had an actual solution (yourself included)? Was it the hard words like gun and under mat storage we had a hard time with? Net is no one had a solution and like the truck forums often do, people start rattling off ideas. Big fucking diff from not comprehending.
I didn't see a single link, review, or products that uses that storage compartment under the floor mat in this thread. That's what OP stated he wanted to use...not sure why you're so butthurt.

Edit: to answer your first question, that's correct. To answer your second question, wtf...I came here looking for the same thing as I stated before, which makes me question your reading comprehension.

Last edited:
I didn't see a single link, review, or products that uses that storage compartment under the floor mat in this thread. That's what OP stated he wanted to use...not sure why you're so butthurt.

Edit: to answer your first question, that's correct. To answer your second question, wtf...I came here looking for the same thing as I stated before, which makes me question your reading comprehension.
Not at all butt hurt, all good.. You were just painting with a pretty broad brush there, which was not at all helpful..Net is we all want the same thing..and looks like our main man @TRXMIKE has a potential solution..somebody buy that stat and post pics!

Last edited:

Just for you bud!
This would be great for locking them up but it still does not address my original question and that was how to put a handgun in there such that it does not bounce and rattle around. That is why I posted a picture of the only thing close to what I could find but the size was a bit too tall. There have been dozens of other suggestions not relating to my original question not that they weren't good but they don't address the issue. Also I'm only talking about the back passenger well pockets behind the front seats. There are two one on each side. I know all about the other options but I'm not interested in those.

So it's $100 less here, but it was the accessories that caught my eye.

1714680838652.png

1714680816663.png

I don't like that it's 3M tape on the back...but properly placed on a sidewall with a foam lining of the bottom of that box shouldn't put too much weight on the adhesive. Could permanently mount, but keeping that box 100% sealed from the outside elements is probably worth not wondering if your silicon melted off in the summer heat!

So it's $100 less here, but it was the accessories that caught my eye.

View attachment 128967

View attachment 128966

I don't like that it's 3M tape on the back...but properly placed on a sidewall with a foam lining of the bottom of that box shouldn't put too much weight on the adhesive. Could permanently mount, but keeping that box 100% sealed from the outside elements is probably worth not wondering if your silicon melted off in the summer heat!

That area is a drip zone for sure but i guess mopar didnt care since its a fish box. 💦🐠💦

Just keep in mind that if someone really wants something in the rear floor boxes, they can just slice them open from below the truck. Don’t even need to open a door to get in there.

This would be great for locking them up but it still does not address my original question and that was how to put a handgun in there such that it does not bounce and rattle around. That is why I posted a picture of the only thing close to what I could find but the size was a bit too tall. There have been dozens of other suggestions not relating to my original question not that they weren't good but they don't address the issue. Also I'm only talking about the back passenger well pockets behind the front seats. There are two one on each side. I know all about the other options but I'm not interested in those.
Did you read the post from before? The one where I suggested either your pistol case, pop/cut foam or drilling holes and attaching a holster. Trying to be helpful but I do not have this set up if it's pictures your after.

Just keep in mind that if someone really wants something in the rear floor boxes, they can just slice them open from below the truck. Don’t even need to open a door to get in there.
Why the lock box suggestion. I could defeat that as well but I'm not putting more information out there for the thieves.

Why the lock box suggestion. I could defeat that as well but I'm not putting more information out there for the thieves.
My understanding is that this has more to do with compliance with the law in certain foreign country states than it has to do with theft prevention. Since that is state specific its not a one size fits all answer anyhow. I wouldn't rely on storage in a fish box in NY/ NJ and dont understand whats wrong with a gun case to begin with?? Locked or unlocked as you are required, if you choose to comply.

My understanding is that this has more to do with compliance with the law in certain foreign country states than it has to do with theft prevention. Since that is state specific its not a one size fits all answer anyhow. I wouldn't rely on storage in a fish box in NY/ NJ and dont understand whats wrong with a gun case to begin with?? Locked or unlocked as you are required, if you choose to comply.
My understanding as well. Just a reminder to not make this easy research for the bad guys.

How to put handgun into rear floor storage of existing RAM TRX without rattling around and providing some protection from quick thievery.

*Note: not for long term storage or long term theft protection.

For those serious about gun storage here we go…

Step 1: Put gun into padded gun bag
Step 2: Purchase foam egg crate padding or similar (Amazon harbor freight…etc)
Step 3: Cut foam pieces from step 2 to fit inside rear seat storage. Few for bottom / sides / top…etc
Step 4: purchase the storage locks (if desired) for rear floor storage (Amazon or wherever)
Step 5: Install purchased storage locks on rear floor storage boxes
Step 6: Install previously cut foam from step 3 to desired rattlenesse prevention level
Step 7: Insert pistol zipped in gun bag into foam lined floor storage and position foam to desired level
Step 8: Close and lock storage container

Done!

How to put handgun into rear floor storage of existing RAM TRX without rattling around and providing some protection from quick thievery.

*Note: not for long term storage or long term theft protection.

For those serious about gun storage here we go…

Step 1: Put gun into padded gun bag
Step 2: Purchase foam egg crate padding or similar (Amazon harbor freight…etc)
Step 3: Cut foam pieces from step 2 to fit inside rear seat storage. Few for bottom / sides / top…etc
Step 4: purchase the storage locks (if desired) for rear floor storage (Amazon or wherever)
Step 5: Install purchased storage locks on rear floor storage boxes
Step 6: Install previously cut foam from step 3 to desired rattlenesse prevention level
Step 7: Insert pistol zipped in gun bag into foam lined floor storage and position foam to desired level
Step 8: Close and lock storage container

Done!
What i said, I was not feeling to do the play by play explanation good on you. Hopefully this clears it up for those who didn't understand.

What i said, I was not feeling to do the play by play explanation good on you. Hopefully this clears it up for those who didn't understand.

I followed you. I couldn’t resist after 5 pages of posts…

Anything i would have in a vehicle for self protection would not warrant protecting from a few bumps and i would not have a gun that needed coddled with me to begin with. Or if i did they would be locked in a good case and stowed somewhere protected from moisture. Love anything Pelican for a multitude of applications. My car gun(s) i would have no problem sticking in the fish box in a holster, mags the same. Even just a cheap SMALL range bag with mag sleeves or side pocket. The lock on the box is a possible superficial benefit in some situations but to me this is all way overcomplicated.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back