Great Video About Engine Oil

Georgia TRX

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2023 TRX
Found this video which explains a lot about engine oil characteristics and why you might want one type of oil versus another. It also mentions Redline and why it is a superior oil.

This will be redundant for some members but not all.

One interesting aspect of the video is that he talks about how dealerships are using the wrong oils for various performance vehicles, which is pretty scary.

Soooo what oil should we use and what oil are dealerships using?

I use Redline 0W40. It is a PAO / Ester blend. I'm sure Amsoil is fine too.
Ram stealerships use the cruddy Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.
Did you see a significant change in oil testing ?

I have not done a chemical test if that is what you mean.

I won’t go over every little thing in the video. One thing that should be said though. The manufacturers “get it wrong” NOT due to their ignorance, but their chasing of CAFE standards and credits. Fuel economy above longevity.

Don’t lose me here…

Oil viscosity should be spec’d for the surface finishes inside the engine, in addition to the expected parameters on the Stribeck Curve. You need a film thickness (based on speed, load and viscosity) that is thicker than the difference between the peaks and valleys on the surface. This will prevent metal to metal contact (and AW additives form a backstop in conditions where this isn’t possible). That’s the “perfect world” view and one that just about every engineer would share.

Unfortunately, in the real world…oil accounts for a lot of drag and wasted energy in an engine, particularly in the bore surrounding the piston rings. The viscosity of the oil there (most closest represented in the HTHS of the oil) can be reduced to lower this drag and improve efficiency. Only slightly, and often not at all in the real world. But when you’re chasing tenths of percents for EPA fuel economy testing, it all adds up.

Reducing viscosity also increases wear, especially in a performance application. I have tracked this well in my own truck. Using a lower viscosity oil (samples 2 & 3, Pennzoil 0w40) lead to a spike in iron (bore wear). Chart is standardized for mileage.
IMG_5520.jpeg

It’s a balancing act. The OEMs need protection to be adequate enough to kick it across the warranty finish line while also chasing impossible government mandates.

Same for extending oil change intervals. They are balancing the “conservation of resources”, customer satisfaction (not being inconvenienced by frequent oil changes), and of course how the oil protects and keeps clean.

If viscosity spec and oil change intervals were based solely on what’s best for the engine, things would look an awful lot different.

We’ll leave the differences between marketing synthetics and actual synthetics for another day, although I’ve hammered that subject for a long time now anyway.

I won’t go over every little thing in the video. One thing that should be said though. The manufacturers “get it wrong” NOT due to their ignorance, but their chasing of CAFE standards and credits. Fuel economy above longevity.

Don’t lose me here…

Oil viscosity should be spec’d for the surface finishes inside the engine, in addition to the expected parameters on the Stribeck Curve. You need a film thickness (based on speed, load and viscosity) that is thicker than the difference between the peaks and valleys on the surface. This will prevent metal to metal contact (and AW additives form a backstop in conditions where this isn’t possible). That’s the “perfect world” view and one that just about every engineer would share.

Unfortunately, in the real world…oil accounts for a lot of drag and wasted energy in an engine, particularly in the bore surrounding the piston rings. The viscosity of the oil there (most closest represented in the HTHS of the oil) can be reduced to lower this drag and improve efficiency. Only slightly, and often not at all in the real world. But when you’re chasing tenths of percents for EPA fuel economy testing, it all adds up.

Reducing viscosity also increases wear, especially in a performance application. I have tracked this well in my own truck. Using a lower viscosity oil (samples 2 & 3, Pennzoil 0w40) lead to a spike in iron (bore wear). Chart is standardized for mileage.View attachment 128780
It’s a balancing act. The OEMs need protection to be adequate enough to kick it across the warranty finish line while also chasing impossible government mandates.

Same for extending oil change intervals. They are balancing the “conservation of resources”, customer satisfaction (not being inconvenienced by frequent oil changes), and of course how the oil protects and keeps clean.

If viscosity spec and oil change intervals were based solely on what’s best for the engine, things would look an awful lot different.

We’ll leave the differences between marketing synthetics and actual synthetics for another day, although I’ve hammered that subject for a long time now anyway.
very good points. The manufacturers designed the vehicle so they couldn't be ignorant.

I used Motul 5W-40 Full Ester base on my built M5 running Meth and 35PSI. Also on my Gen 2 Raptor E85 for about 33k miles (never had cam phaser issues). I defiantly prefer the Ester based oils.

I used Motul 5W-40 Full Ester base on my built M5 running Meth and 35PSI. Also on my Gen 2 Raptor E85 for about 33k miles (never had cam phaser issues). I defiantly prefer the Ester based oils.
Why are you defiant about it?

Why are you defiant about it?
As he stated in the video Ester and/or APO oils are better. I switched to Redline after i did 1k miles in my TRX been using redline since. I haven't done black stone analysis on it yet but i change every 3k miles at most. Then again i am running E85 all the time too.

The Motul oil i was referring to in my earlier response was what was recommended to me by my engine builder and kept running it until they stopped making it for some reason. The black stone oil analysis came back great every time and that was run hard with port injection straight M1 meth over 80% throttle.

As he stated in the video Ester and/or APO oils are better. I switched to Redline after i did 1k miles in my TRX been using redline since. I haven't done black stone analysis on it yet but i change every 3k miles at most. Then again i am running E85 all the time too.

The Motul oil i was referring to in my earlier response was what was recommended to me by my engine builder and kept running it until they stopped making it for some reason. The black stone oil analysis came back great every time and that was run hard with port injection straight M1 meth over 80% throttle.
awesome

He corrected your misuse of the word "defiantly". The correct word is "definitely".

Grammar Police.jpg

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back