Dead Battery?

Lol yes I did have red on positive and black on negative. Actually I grounded negative on a bolt next to the battery on the trx. Just doesn’t make sense… if it’s a fuse does anyone have an idea what it would be?
just had this happen with my TRX....its under warranty, which should include the battery at 22 months. I tried jumping and got sparks and heat on the cables so i gave that up...and yes black to black red to red. Kinda pissed!

This thread looks like it's gotten old, but wondering if anyone figured anything out.
My truck was totally fine and recently I drove it somewhere and it wouldn't start. Not it seems to drain within a few days of being charged. Not sure if it's a bad battery or there's some unusul drain on it.

I am having the same issue 2022 TRX... drove it 20 miles for work came out and it wouldn't start. I couldn't get it too jump start either

Hey guys has anyone tried using that battery storage mode setting in the dash display? I ran across it yesterday while scrolling through menus. Mine is a 2023, but I would assume all years have the setting?

Page 93 of the TRX performance guide explains it. I wonder if this feature was a response to the battery issues or was always there? Do non-TRX 1500s have this?

here is the screen

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpeg
    IMG_0053.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 48
Am experiencing the same issue here just today. I went overseas for a month and half and now it won’t start 😂 my question to you fellas is that if I were to try to jump it with the hood OPEN will it start ? Or the hood must be closed ?
2022 with almost 2000 miles on it

Am experiencing the same issue here just today. I went overseas for a month and half and now it won’t start 😂 my question to you fellas is that if I were to try to jump it with the hood OPEN will it start ? Or the hood must be closed ?
How can you jump with the hood closed?

Reactions: Two
How can you jump with the hood closed?
You can always jump It with the hood closed. Attached are 2 pics
Either with the jump starter or with the jump cables and shut the hood

What made me ask that question is that I get a notification that says close hood and try again.

Attachments

• IMG_2789.jpeg
    IMG_2789.jpeg
    323.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2790.jpeg
    IMG_2790.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2788.jpeg
    IMG_2788.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2785.jpeg
    IMG_2785.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 41
Is your battery completely drained? If so you won't be able to jump start it.

Replaced my battery with an odyssey performance H7 at 4800 miles, about 2 months ago. Higher CCA and more capacity

Stock battery is pure shit. I use a proper maintainer/charger with mine as it’s not my daily and I noticed one day I took it off it was full, drove it, and brought it back, and the next day when I went to drive it, it read 12.2v. No drain. Looks like a plate collapsed or bridged.

I also recently replaced my challenger hellcats battery (500miles on it) with an odyssey H8, replacing the stock H7, the stock battery had similar issues with maintaining charge. No parasitic drain either. Some of them are just low quality.

Is your battery completely drained? If so you won't be able to jump start it.
I charged it for about 15 mnts and started right away. However, I got the engine light on and it disappeared in like 2 to 3 cycles. Am gona park it for another week or 2 and see what would happen 🤷‍♂️

I measured the parasitic drain on my 2023. Without having opened a door to actuate the interior lights, it initially drew 0.36A. Then after about 5 mins it dropped to 177mA. About two mins after that, it dropped to 105mA. I waited maybe another 5 mins or so and it remained at 105mA.

I’ve been meaning to remeasure this, leaving an ammeter connected with leads running to the meter outside the engine compartment, so I can close the hood and check it an hr later, etc. I’m using a Battery Tender brand maintainer, an 800mA version, so should the constant draw remain at 105mA, it won’t pose a problem.

Replaced my battery with an odyssey performance H7 at 4800 miles, about 2 months ago. Higher CCA and more capacity

Stock battery is pure shit. I use a proper maintainer/charger with mine as it’s not my daily and I noticed one day I took it off it was full, drove it, and brought it back, and the next day when I went to drive it, it read 12.2v. No drain. Looks like a plate collapsed or bridged.

I also recently replaced my challenger hellcats battery (500miles on it) with an odyssey H8, replacing the stock H7, the stock battery had similar issues with maintaining charge. No parasitic drain either. Some of them are just low quality.
Bro. You have no idea how much am learning from
You. However you are making my bank account getting empty. Now I have to buy an odyssey 😂

Speaking of plate collapse:

Interstate west coast is near me. A few years ago I was killing batteries in my truck and I decided to go there to see if I could find a better battery.

The guys there said that they make interstate (and others) batteries to cheaper spec for Costco and big o tires etc.
If it’s grey or yellow etc etc it’s their cheaper model. Only if it’s the same color and exact PN as their website is it the real deal. One way they cut cost is the strength of the lattice and infrastructure holding the interbals of the battery together.

Simple spear bumps and pot holes can break the cheaper batteries.

Anyways, some people have done tests on batteries snd build quality. Worth the research especially when $180 will save you the headache of replacing $100 batteries every few months.

Speaking of plate collapse:

Interstate west coast is near me. A few years ago I was killing batteries in my truck and I decided to go there to see if I could find a better battery.

The guys there said that they make interstate (and others) batteries to cheaper spec for Costco and big o tires etc.
If it’s grey or yellow etc etc it’s their cheaper model. Only if it’s the same color and exact PN as their website is it the real deal. One way they cut cost is the strength of the lattice and infrastructure holding the interbals of the battery together.

Simple spear bumps and pot holes can break the cheaper batteries.

Anyways, some people have done tests on batteries snd build quality. Worth the research especially when $180 will save you the headache of replacing $100 batteries every few months.
Yea man 5000% agree. Interstate used to be my goto. Expensive but lasted 6-7 years on average. Now they far worse. Costco started to carry them and as I understand the Costco ones are governed by a different warranty and not as good.

Started buying odyssey batteries after. I’ll do anything not to buy Johnson controls batteries.

I avoid Clarios (Johnson Controls) like the plague too. They destroyed Optima. Been running East Penn batteries in everything for years, no problems. Local farm supply store has them at good prices.

My 21 trx has work flawlessly since new. 21k miles. I had let it sit too long and battery is dead. Installed new battery, and everything lights up on dash correctly, but it will not crank. Any ideas as to why it will not crank now?

My 21 trx has work flawlessly since new. 21k miles. I had let it sit too long and battery is dead. Installed new battery, and everything lights up on dash correctly, but it will not crank. Any ideas as to why it will not crank now?
Was the battery charged? Lotta times batteries sold are not fully charged. The shelf charge sometimes won’t cut it, assuming you
Bought the right battery.

Buy yourself a Noco genius 5 or something local and charge it up first. If you have a voltmeter would be good to check it, anything below 12 it’s not going to crank.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, fully charged at 12.6 vdc. I'll put the noco on it to see if it cranks over/starts.

Back