Catback vs full exhaust.

Captopt

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2023 TRX
What’s up guys, new here.

I picked up my 2023 TRX a week ago and have done the essentials, tints, bed cover and mud flaps. I’m a former Raptor owner (had 3 in total) and decided to move on and thus far love the ride of the TRX.

I always had Borla exhausts on my Raptor’s. Looking to get a Corsa exhaust on my TRX however, dealer told me that if you get a “FULL” exhaust replacement, it voids the warranty. So it’s essential to simply get a catback. Maybe this is just a Dodge thing, but Ford never told me such things. Is it worth it? So far after doing a little bit of research, it seems that Corsa xtreme is only a full option? Are there any systems worth looking into that are just catbacks?

I apologize if this question has been asked before.

Thank you,

Generally a "full" exhaust would be considered a cat back exhaust as it goes from the outlet of the catalytic convertor. I could see them voiding the warranty if headers were installed or if the cats had been removed or tampered with. We have not seen a dealer void a warranty for a simple cat back exhaust. In the cases where a dealer is throwing a fit most of the time they just drop any coverage for the exhaust but retain the warranty coverage on the powertrain as it was not modified. If you are worried about it I would suggest one of MRT's Extreme Mid Pipes. In your case I am confident the mid pipe would be a pretty safe bet to keep that "warranty in place" in the eyes of that dealer. If not I would seek out a different dealer regardless of the system you decide on.

Last edited:
there is no such thing as the whole warranty being voided. If you install headers and tune the truck then bring it in for engine issues, they will blame the tune unless you can prove otherwise, or if it’s blatantly obvious tune didn’t cause it and you have a great relationship with the dealer.
If you do headers and tune then bring it in for the rear sliding window being inop, or speaker blowing out, your fine.

Last edited:
"FULL" exhaust is not exactly a technically precise term. I would bet some vendors / dealers would assume that means headers as well, while others would assume cat-back only. VERY important to make that distinction regardless of what system you order.

I have no knowledge of their TRX-specific package, but I had a Corsa Extreme exhaust on my 2019 Corvette, and it was cat-back only. No warranty concerns with cat-back systems. The headers are the issue when it comes to warranties, and it should be VERY obvious if the exhaust you are looking at comes with the headers or not. By price if nothing else. In my experience, headers are usually a separate purchase.

Take my word for it, and this is coming from a guy who just had BOTH Supercharger and entire motor replaced all under warranty, a $35k bummer if my warranty had been voided because I did something just to edgy even with the best of intentions.

Bottom line, just go cat back a you’ll get the best of both world!

Me……. I’m a AWE guy and couldn’t be happier with look and sound!

Last edited:
Pretty much what everyone said..
To sum it up, dealer can't void your warranty if you have a header/exhaust system but the issue is a tailgate malfunction. However if you have an issue with the engine then they can simply blame the exhaust.

I'd get a catback exhaust, usually dealers never care about that since it doesn't cause a CEL or anything.

We have Corsa options in stock, as well as AWE And Borla !

-Josh

Thanks for all the responses guys. You’ve helped me in being more comfortable in getting an exhaust. Narrowed it down to Corsa or the AWE.

Take my word for it, and this is coming from a guy who just had BOTH Supercharger and entire motor replaced all under warranty, a $35k bummer if my warranty had been voided because I did something just to edgy even with the best of intentions.

Bottom line, just go cat back a you’ll get the best of both world!

Me……. I’m a AWE guy and couldn’t be happier with look and sound!

View attachment 91168
That does sound very good…

So, I have an awesome dealer and they actually did my corsa install. I have had just about every brand of exhaust on various vehicles, but the corsa xtreme sounds so awesome on the trx! It is cat back - like everyone else has said. Now, some might say it is too loud - but I think it is the awesome balance. When you get on it - it is way louder than stock. When you are just driving, about the same as stock with a slightly different tone. And truly, there is no drone. Now, if you want, you can always have it louder with the right foot volume switch. Granted, you really can't tell much from any exhaust video - I can definitely recommend corsa!!! Hope this helps.
Chris

So, I have an awesome dealer and they actually did my corsa install. I have had just about every brand of exhaust on various vehicles, but the corsa xtreme sounds so awesome on the trx! It is cat back - like everyone else has said. Now, some might say it is too loud - but I think it is the awesome balance. When you get on it - it is way louder than stock. When you are just driving, about the same as stock with a slightly different tone. And truly, there is no drone. Now, if you want, you can always have it louder with the right foot volume switch. Granted, you really can't tell much from any exhaust video - I can definitely recommend corsa!!! Hope this helps.
Chris
Thanks man, would you recommend putting an exhaust on my TRX with just 100 miles on it? Or mileage doesn’t matter when it comes to an exhaust swap?

Thanks man, would you recommend putting an exhaust on my TRX with just 100 miles on it? Or mileage doesn’t matter when it comes to an exhaust swap?
I might do the 500 mile break in first. You will really appreciate the difference.
Chris

Mileage makes zero difference for exhaust swap. If you swap it now, will just be harder to stay off the loud pedal..

What’s up guys, new here.

I picked up my 2023 TRX a week ago and have done the essentials, tints, bed cover and mud flaps. I’m a former Raptor owner (had 3 in total) and decided to move on and thus far love the ride of the TRX.

I always had Borla exhausts on my Raptor’s. Looking to get a Corsa exhaust on my TRX however, dealer told me that if you get a “FULL” exhaust replacement, it voids the warranty. So it’s essential to simply get a catback. Maybe this is just a Dodge thing, but Ford never told me such things. Is it worth it? So far after doing a little bit of research, it seems that Corsa xtreme is only a full option? Are there any systems worth looking into that are just catbacks?

I apologize if this question has been asked before.

Thank you,
You definitely have a few FULL Exhaust options which we stock, AWE, CORSA, Stainless Works, aFe and MBRP.

If you find a dealer giving you a problem about warrantying your TRX with aftermarket parts, I would find another one. Not every dealer operates that strictly but then again, it's also up to you and what you are comfortable with. Unfortunately these are performance vehicles and a good bit of their owners will modify them and dealers know this. Direct Connect is their attempt to capitalize on some of that.

Like many others on here, I've had plenty of things warrantied on heavily modified vehicles. As long as the part being warrantied is not a result of a modification install, you should be good.

By the way, it seems Rebel owners want our OEM exhaust so there's a market for that for a few quick hundred bucks fyi.

If you are near DFW you can come by and hear for yourself, my neighbor has Corsa and I have AWE.
Theres your perfect solution!! I went AWE...and its sitting in my garage until the truck arrives. Wish I had the option above, but from everything I've read, I'm comfortable with my decision on AWE!

Reactions: @JC
Theres your perfect solution!! I went AWE...and its sitting in my garage until the truck arrives. Wish I had the option above, but from everything I've read, I'm comfortable with my decision on AWE!
Just make sure you read the note in the instructions about loosening the cat ball flange for proper fitment so you have an easy time installing it. 🍻

If you are near DFW you can come by and hear for yourself, my neighbor has Corsa and I have AWE.

Yeah, remind me not to meet up with you guys. I live in Keller and really don't want to make my new '23 TRX louder. But, I love exhaust systems. :D :D :D

Back