Black Stone Lab results.

I appreciate all the help man! Thanks. The viscosity number really pisses me off though. So youre running Redline? And if so is that one of the best options for our trucks in your opinion?
Yes, Red Line has given me the best results. Not only in this truck but just about everything. I don’t want to sound like a shill for them and I have no affiliation (other than knowing a guy that has worked there forever). I just believe in the product. It’s old school, it hasn’t been cost cut to death or ruined by the EPA like most modern oils. Maybe something better will come along at some point but right now it’s the tops.

I plan to test the Schaeffer not because I think it will be better than Red Line, but because it will likely be the best API certified oil. Some people are warranty paranoid about using something that isn’t API (like Amsoil SS or Red Line). I am not one of those people.

I have my last set of Penzoil and then after that I am going probably Redline. What's the best place to purchase from??

@SCARd4Life changed his to schaeffers, maybe he'll have a sample soon?
This is a February sample after switching to Schaeffers, but it only had about 1k miles on the oil. On the next change, I will have more miles on the Schaeffers and will also test it using different labs.

Attachments

• FEB_TRX_Sample.pdf
    62.5 KB · Views: 26
Mine had the new glitter oil upgrade 😂😂 wonder what the oil analysis would say, “iron content exceeds normal limit” 🫤
She sounds better now, new 0 mile longblock, chop-tastic cam by gearhead fab, arp studs, upgraded valvetrain, everything minus accessories new. Tuning by Satera 💪
(Don’t mind the wheels, others are at the powdercoater)

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpeg
    IMG_1254.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1255.jpeg
    IMG_1255.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1273.jpeg
    IMG_1273.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1272.jpeg
    IMG_1272.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1358.mov
    41.1 MB
Heres my results from my last oil change. PUP oil, changed at 2212 miles. Running amsoil nowView attachment 128918

I'll do another sample in about 2 months once I get about 5000 miles on it and see how the amsoil looks

If you're not someone like @OnTheReel, how do you know what those values mean without baseline values?

Yes, Red Line has given me the best results. Not only in this truck but just about everything. I don’t want to sound like a shill for them and I have no affiliation (other than knowing a guy that has worked there forever). I just believe in the product. It’s old school, it hasn’t been cost cut to death or ruined by the EPA like most modern oils. Maybe something better will come along at some point but right now it’s the tops.

I plan to test the Schaeffer not because I think it will be better than Red Line, but because it will likely be the best API certified oil. Some people are warranty paranoid about using something that isn’t API (like Amsoil SS or Red Line). I am not one of those people.
This is great info thank you!

Where is the best place to get relive 0w40 that you recommend?

Sooo…ill have results from Blackstone soon for @OnTheReel to analyze if he has time. Just sent in a sample of Amsoil SS (changed with 4122mi on it and 16% oil life left). Only wrinkle is i did add about 6-8oz of seafoam to the oil about 300mi before changing/getting sample.

I have 0 clue what effect that will have on the results but Blackstone said it would be fine to send in a sample so we shall see!

Great info! Thanks for doing this. Probably a topic for a separate thread, but what are your thoughts on which fluids/brands to get for our diffs and transfer case? If it matters much? Changing these fluids early on seems to be good practice from what I've seen on this forum.

I'm curious what your position is on Project Farm's oil shoot-out wherein Redline did well but Amsoil was the clear winner (esp. on the wear scar test) with Pennzoil actually coming in 2nd overall if memory serves.

I'm curious what your position is on Project Farm's oil shoot-out wherein Redline did well but Amsoil was the clear winner (esp. on the wear scar test) with Pennzoil actually coming in 2nd overall if memory serves.
The PF tests just aren’t relevant to what a motor oil actually sees. Like comparing golf clubs by testing which one works best as a baseball bat.

The bearing test he does, if anything, most closely resembles an EP test. A category in which motor oil isn’t even tested during certification. Not because they couldn’t, but because it doesn’t matter.

Great info! Thanks for doing this. Probably a topic for a separate thread, but what are your thoughts on which fluids/brands to get for our diffs and transfer case? If it matters much? Changing these fluids early on seems to be good practice from what I've seen on this forum.
I went back with factory on the transfer case. And Red Line in the front and rear diffs. Amsoil would be an equally good choice for those. Having a good quality clean lubricant definitely matters. Just not nearly as much as engine oil.

That is one thing I don't like about those results, I wish there was a min and max value reference
I will give Blackstone some credit here. They do publish “universal averages” for each category. These are based off their library of tests for any given engine platform and serve as a decent reference point for someone unfamiliar with testing.

That said, the trend is more important than any one sample. With time you can track wear metals and see if trouble is on the horizon, compare how different oils hold up to your use, etc. It’s about finding the product and interval that works for you and your motor.

This is great info thank you!

Where is the best place to get relive 0w40 that you recommend?
These guys have the best price I’ve seen. They shipped my order quickly and without issue. Shipping is free on two cases (or at least it was when I ordered).

I will give Blackstone some credit here. They do publish “universal averages” for each category. These are based off their library of tests for any given engine platform and serve as a decent reference point for someone unfamiliar with testing.

That said, the trend is more important than any one sample. With time you can track wear metals and see if trouble is on the horizon, compare how different oils hold up to your use, etc. It’s about finding the product and interval that works for you and your motor.
That is the plan, next oil change sample I will have the first sample to compare to and reference

I know I've read that red oil wasn't the best for cold weather but I can't find that discussion now. Does anyone who lives in inclement weather that runs red line have any input on that? We go below zero sometimes in NY. Just want to make sure the motor is protected during those days.

These guys have the best price I’ve seen. They shipped my order quickly and without issue. Shipping is free on two cases (or at least it was when I ordered).

$208/gallon?! Is it made with whale tusks?!

I know I've read that red oil wasn't the best for cold weather but I can't find that discussion now. Does anyone who lives in inclement weather that runs red line have any input on that? We go below zero sometimes in NY. Just want to make sure the motor is protected during those days.
Dunno why someone would think that but it’s definitely untrue. Group IV/V blends like Red Line are superior in cold flow. Some data to look at:

CCS (cold cranking simulator) viscosity:
RL 5800cP @ -35c
PUP 5850cP @ -35c

Pour point:
Red Line -60c
PUP -51c

So if it dips below -60 just stay home and you’ll be okay…

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back