Anyone have a GMRS radio in their TRX?

cobrar97

TRX Fiend
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 RAM Limited
Wonder what mobile unit you decided to go with and where you mounted it.
More importantly, where did you mount your outside antenna? I was considering the 3rd brakelight mod, BUT I park in a garage and it wouldn't work (just too close). Looking for an alternative mounting location that's fairly subtle...no front fender mount or anything like that. Has anyone mounted directly behind the cab (to a bedrail or bed cover)? Wonder if it negatively impacted your use.

Any information would be helpful.

I have a couple radios in mine, look under the member builds and you can see them. But I did a remote face icom 2730a in the upper glovebox. For the antennas I did do the bulletproof third brake light mount so I cant help you there. There is a mount company I think it was called geo mounts or something like that out of southern California that mounts them in the stake bed pockets. Or you can get the antennas that fold over, I think my diamond antenna you can just pull up on it slightly and then it lays flat. Typically unless I need range I just run some cheap dual band stubby antennas that are only about 4" tall.

I was wrong, the stake pocket ones is from https://www.geotool.com/antmount.htm but he is closed until July. But know mounting it there, or the front fender mount will greatly change your reception as the cab will block the signal which you may or may not notice depending on what you are trying to accomplish

I was wrong, the stake pocket ones is from https://www.geotool.com/antmount.htm but he is closed until July. But know mounting it there, or the front fender mount will greatly change your reception as the cab will block the signal which you may or may not notice depending on what you are trying to accomplish

Thanks for the info. Are you an amateur radio operator?
I am... but I was thinking to do a GMRS setup, because other people I do things with would be able to use those, and they are super-simple to use (while allowing for 50watts for a mobile unit and 5 for an HT).

I realize that the amateur radio would have more ability overall, but I can easily communicate with friends.

Any idea the range is a GMRS with a 4" stubby on the roof? Maybe that would work.

I have a uniden mounted on drivers side of console right about where your knee on right leg sits. Doesnt interfere with my knee and I have a short shakespear magnet mount antenna probably 18in tall on roof. Gets good distance on my 25 watt radio.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back