Alpine Loop, Colorado

Sisyphus

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 TRX
Hi All,

In a couple weeks, I'm going to be driving my TRX across the country from the Hudson Valley, NY to south eastern Washington state. I'll have my 79 year-old dad and my 11 year-old son with me and we're going to take a couple weeks and make an epic road trip out of it with sight-seeing and as many adventures along the way as we can reasonably cram in.

I've been reading about the Alpine loop in Colorado and hoping that some of you can shed some light on whether this is do-able in a TRX, especially the portion around Engineer Pass. I'm seeing mixed reviews - some folks say it's no problem while other folks say that you're taking your life in your hands if you try it in anything bigger than a Jeep. I've been off-roading for years in everything from a '73 Bronco to a Super Duty with 44s and consider myself pretty competent. That said, I'm not looking to get rock rash on my TRX and I'm not looking to kill ourselves. Any thoughts? If the Alpine Loop isn't a good idea, any other recommendations?

FWIW - we're also going to spend a couple days in Moab, but I know my way around there fairly well. I'm going to take a lot of pictures during the trip and I'll try to do a write-up here in the forum as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas!

I have done the Alpine loop on my RZR a few years ago. I can’t remember which section was Engineer pass. I don’t recall anything that the TRX wouldn’t fit on. A few switchbacks may get tight in a truck. I don’t think it’s anything the truck couldnt handle but could definitely test the nerves… the San Juan’s are very steep terrain. It is an absolutely beautiful area! If nothing else I’d stop and rent a RZR or Jeep. I know that you can rent RZRs in Silverton. Lake City is to the East over one of the passes and I found them to be more “off road friendly”

There are a lot of videos on YouTube of the Alpine pass. I think a lot of people make it sound scarier than it is.

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpeg
    IMG_0313.jpeg
    511.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0063.jpeg
    IMG_0063.jpeg
    726.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0083.jpeg
    IMG_0083.jpeg
    557.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0088.jpeg
    IMG_0088.jpeg
    501.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0093.jpeg
    IMG_0093.jpeg
    503.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0123.jpeg
    IMG_0123.jpeg
    588.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0159.jpeg
    IMG_0159.jpeg
    627.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0203.jpeg
    IMG_0203.jpeg
    545.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0306.jpeg
    IMG_0306.jpeg
    687.3 KB · Views: 33
Congrats on the truck! Sounds like a great trip for you, your Dad and son!
If the Loop doesn't get your blood pumping....you could always give Black Bear Road a shot!

Attachments

• black-bear-pass-4wd-trail.jpg
    black-bear-pass-4wd-trail.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 25
Does that go to Telluride?
Yes, it takes your from the BBR trailhead off the Million Dollar Highway into Telluride. The very first part of the descent is pretty tight, but the rest is a series of switchbacks. Back in the day, we planned an outing with 5 H2's and ultimately decided against it due to the first part of the descent.

Last edited:

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back