Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 TRX (Granite)
Current Ride #2
2019 Honda Accord Touring Hybrid
Military
Navy Veteran
Thought I would provide some input since I know that members are always curious and asking questions on Dash Cams. I purchased a Garmin Mini 2 for my TRX. I also purchased the constant power module that plugs into the OBD port. That can be toggled to stay on for 10minutes, 24 hours, or indefinitely after the power is shut off depending on your preference. It will also shut down if the battery level drops below 12V. I also purchased the polarized filter for the lens which reduces glare. This is a minimalist camera that checks all the boxes for me. I wanted something small and unobtrusive, and did not want a screen. It is around the size of a key fob. I feel it has a really good picture and field of view for how small it is. I was able to route the power cable so that everything is hidden. All the bells and whistles were not important to me for this particular purchase, unlike when I bought my truck. You can download saved videos through Bluetooth or in my case, when I pull up to our house and it connects to our home Wi-Fi, it automatically downloads them to the Garmin Vault. From there you can send them to your phone or wherever you like. They will stay in the vault for 24 hours for free, however, if you want them to stay for 7 or 30 days, they require subscription plans. So far I am happy with my purchase.

Thought I would provide some input since I know that members are always curious and asking questions on Dash Cams. I purchased a Garmin Mini 2 for my TRX. I also purchased the constant power module that plugs into the OBD port. That can be toggled to stay on for 10minutes, 24 hours, or indefinitely after the power is shut off depending on your preference. It will also shut down if the battery level drops below 12V. I also purchased the polarized filter for the lens which reduces glare. This is a minimalist camera that checks all the boxes for me. I wanted something small and unobtrusive, and did not want a screen. It is around the size of a key fob. I feel it has a really good picture and field of view for how small it is. I was able to route the power cable so that everything is hidden. All the bells and whistles were not important to me for this particular purchase, unlike when I bought my truck. You can download saved videos through Bluetooth or in my case, when I pull up to our house and it connects to our home Wi-Fi, it automatically downloads them to the Garmin Vault. From there you can send them to your phone or wherever you like. They will stay in the vault for 24 hours for free, however, if you want them to stay for 7 or 30 days, they require subscription plans. So far I am happy with my purchase.
Can you share some pics of the video quality and where you installed, etc.

Thanks for the insight. I’ve considered a dash cam a few times but get lost down the options rabbit hole along with all the inexpensive choices.

I just want a decent one..

Can you share some pics of the video quality and where you installed, etc.

Hope this helps:

Attachments

• IMG_4381.jpeg
    IMG_4381.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_4382.jpeg
    IMG_4382.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_4383.jpeg
    IMG_4383.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_4384.jpeg
    IMG_4384.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 302
Thanks for the insight. I’ve considered a dash cam a few times but get lost down the options rabbit hole along with all the inexpensive choices.

I just want a decent one..
I have a lot of Garmin products and have always been happy with the quality.

Do you know if they have a matching rear camera or would you just run two of these?

Do you know if they have a matching rear camera or would you just run two of these?
I am not sure, however, I would just assume you would run another Mini 2. On the constant power module, there are two USB ports, so you would be able to plug in two cameras.

We have a cobra right now, the video is decent but the app is a huge letdown. I have been considering the garmin for the other vehicle. Thanks for the review

We have a cobra right now, the video is decent but the app is a huge letdown. I have been considering the garmin for the other vehicle. Thanks for the review
My pleasure. I actually forgot to mention the app in my review. The app is the Garmin Drive app, and I have not had any reason to be disappointed by it.

Nice.. I have the Vantrue X4S on my desk right now along with the GPS and hardware kit.. I'm thinking about sending it back because its so big and clunky, I've put it on temporarily & cant find a good spot where its not in the way or half of the screen is blocked out by that big box on the windshield behind the rearview.. Maybe I'll give this one a look

Appreciate this post! How difficult is it to cleanly run the cables? I cringe at tearing any of the interior apart (because I would undoubtedly mess it up).

Appreciate this post! How difficult is it to cleanly run the cables? I cringe at tearing any of the interior apart (because I would undoubtedly mess it up).
Not difficult at all. Nothing needs to be removed and all the cable just get tucked under the weather stripping going up the side and tucked back along the top. I pushed the excess down the front pillar once I knew how much I was going to need to go across the top and to the unit. Super easy and clean.

Not difficult at all. Nothing needs to be removed and all the cable just get tucked under the weather stripping going up the side and tucked back along the top. I pushed the excess down the front pillar once I knew how much I was going to need to go across the top and to the unit. Super easy and clean.
Perfect - thanks amigo! Got a road trip coming up in the future and this would be added peace of mind. 🍻

Thanks for the review. I’ve been looking for something affordable and easy to install/ use and this seems to check those boxes.

Not sure what happened here, however, I received an email response question for this thread, however, the question is not showing up, so I copied and pasted it here:

Question: Only question I have for you is how were you able to route the cable to the port? Was this difficult? I'll have to get a OBD splitter because I have the Allstate Drivewise device connected now.

Answer: Not quite sure what you mean? Obviously the Constant power plug, plugs into OBD port, and the USB dash cam cable plugs into one of the 2 USB jacks coming out of the constant power plug. Where the 2 connect together, I have shoved behind the panel on the left which is where you start to run your cable up and behind the weather stripping. It is not difficult at all. Hope this makes sense.

Your welcome, and yes to everything except the long cable. It was not necessary to purchase the extra length cable. The cable that comes with the unit is long enough with plenty to spare.

Not sure what happened here, however, I received an email response question for this thread, however, the question is not showing up, so I copied and pasted it here:

Question: Only question I have for you is how were you able to route the cable to the port? Was this difficult? I'll have to get a OBD splitter because I have the Allstate Drivewise device connected now.

Answer: Not quite sure what you mean? Obviously the Constant power plug, plugs into OBD port, and the USB dash cam cable plugs into one of the 2 USB jacks coming out of the constant power plug. Where the 2 connect together, I have shoved behind the panel on the left which is where you start to run your cable up and behind the weather stripping. It is not difficult at all. Hope this makes sense.
Many thanks for the guidance. I spoke to the tech who installed my IGLA and he said he can do that for sure. I think I'll have the Valentine Radar detector put in first, and power it right from the rear view mirror. Just need to get the cable & bracket to hold it. He said He will also put the camera in as well. Thanks again Pumphry.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back